Subject: Making a Copy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb

I reach out to you in the spirit of peace for some advice!

I am very familiar with Titan, but I do not own a copy. This is a problem. However, I am very willing to put quite a bit of time, effort, and a modest amount of money (even as much as requisitioning a OOP copy of Titan would be) to make a beautiful copy for myself.

I'm good with images and creating designs, but it's the physical parts that I have questions about. For creature counters, I was thinking of either making counters, wooden discs, or SOMETHING. Not quite sure.

Well, here: a numbered list.

1) What ideas do you have to make the creatures themselves?

2) How might I go about making a nice game-board? I can design the surface, I just don't know how to apply that to a board of some kind. Old monopoly? Gessoed canvas? ???

Any ideas would be appriciated!

Rompcat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:

I reach out to you in the spirit of peace for some advice!
Well, here: a numbered list.
1) What ideas do you have to make the creatures themselves?

You DO know that the original Titan has 621 or so counters. That's A LOT of cardboard to cut out.

But if you're a sucker for punishment, I'd suggest designing custom graphics for each creature and printing them onto sticker label paper. Paste this on mounting board and get a good blade and a cutting map.

Rompcat wrote:

2) How might I go about making a nice game-board? I can design the surface, I just don't know how to apply that to a board of some kind. Old monopoly? Gessoed canvas? ???

You can actually print on canvas at print shops. Just design up your own board and bring it to a local store that does this.

Alternatively, get mounting or poster board from an art store. Print out the board on good archival paper, use spray adhesive and paste it to the board. If you want to fold the board, make cuts ala eurogame style (no valleys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zumbrunnen
United States
Pacific Palisades
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about purchasing one off of eBay? The time you would have spent making a copy could be used to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something to be said for the "hands on" aspect in crafting a homemade version of an out of print game. Many people are willing to spend as much or more for a high quality custom version of these games (e.g. Dune). For Titan I might suggest you print the chit graphics on lable paper and stick them onto Scrabble tiles (cheaply available at any thrift stores). That will save you having to hand cut 600+ chits. The board might look nice gessoed onto thin cedar plywood, the kind you can find at craft stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider is alternate boards. I'd definitely have the original board on one side, but as long as you go through all this trouble there are numerous variants on this website as well as others, and you might want to print one of the variant boards on the back of your board. I know there are some really interesting larger boards and smaller boards, depending on your taste as far as length of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some great suggestions! Scabble tiles! Genius!

Nearing $200, I think I actually can do better than the original in terms of handiness with the game. Scrabble-sized tiles and a larger board would make the game less of an inadvertent dexterity game.

Does anybody know of any websites where those little wooden discs can be had? I saw them once in another thread, and that's what got me started. 1/4" thick black discs. Maybe a link to some places where someone has made a board from cardboard or repurposing a Monopoly board or something? Something you remember as interesting. . .

The only think I'm NOT going to do the same as the original Titan is make EACH AND EVERY CREATURE just a little bit different. One pegasus design is enough for me -- not 24 or however many pegasi there are. That's one nice thing about the original Titan . . . the creatures are all a little different.

Rompcat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this sounds interesting. But what does Titan entail? Just the board, counters and rules?

shawn_low wrote:

You DO know that the original Titan has 621 or so counters. That's A LOT of cardboard to cut out.

Well, the character list that is in the files section only lists 424 counters. What are they missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:

Well, the character list that is in the files section only lists 424 counters. What are they missing?

There are also 10 counters per player plus extra counters needed for Titans.

Also, I WOULDN'T use Scrabble tiles. WHY? The game involves stacking up to 7 creatures PLUS the player chit on a terrain hex. A stack of 8 scrabble tiles is liable to get knocked over too easily.

Another option: search for a die cutting machine and get a custom made die cut template. Think you can do a google for Ellison die cuts (they do custom jobs). This way, you just paste labels onto cardboard and run it through the die cutter. Saves you hand cutting a few hundred (OUCH!) chits.

The game is really good and worth paying money for. Unless you want to make an artisan version of the game (as with the wooden Dune boards), don't bother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another option:

http://www.litkoaero.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&...

Half-inch wooden squares. They're intended for basing miniatures, but could work for something like this. Ten bucks for a hundred, so it's not super-cheap, but maybe you'd get a discount for buying 600+.

They're available in several thicknesses, different sizes, and there are even other shapes -- hexes, circles, etc. I haven't bought anything from Litko yet, but their stuff looks great for prototyping or homemade game projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game once and used Nick's Deluxe version which uses an oversized map and heavyweight poker chips. I can't imagine using the original cardboard counters now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've only played the game once and used Nick's Deluxe version which uses an oversized map and heavyweight poker chips. I can't imagine using the original cardboard counters now.

Now, how did I miss that!? That is pretty darn clever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Mr.Baggins wrote:

There are also 10 counters per player plus extra counters needed for Titans.

That'd be 12 stack markers per player, plus one Titan marker, for a total of 13/player. That's 78 more counters there. There's also the damage chits, but you don't want to bother remaking those, since no one uses them anyway.

I have to say, the oversized map and poker chips looks like it's easier to use, but something about those chips just doesn't feel right to me. I'd say stick to cardboard. I bet if you look you can find blank chits pre-cut, or given the number you'll need, order them from a place that does die-cuts. Not sure how much cheaper it'd be than buying a copy (it's really closer to $100 on ebay nowadays than $200), but to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ravena
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
I have to say, the oversized map and poker chips looks like it's easier to use, but something about those chips just doesn't feel right to me. I'd say stick to cardboard.

At first I felt similar about the "feel". But it didn't take long to put it behind me. The stacks on chips handle much better, and stacks are knocked over much less frequently. And when they are, there is less flipping and exposing. Plus the larger boards are nice.

I guess it depends on why you are making a copy. I doubt that many people save money creating there own copy of a game. Even one like Titan. If money is your reasoning, I'd say save up and buy one. I owned 2 copies at the time I made my set, but I did end up selling one.

If you are interested in making a copy for aesthetic or other reasons... Poker chips do work well and would recommend, but I also think that the wooden pieces idea sounds nice.

Whatever you choose will probably require a lot of time and/or money to create. I figure I spent $8-$10 dollars a piece just for the battle boards- Large color printouts, and lamination. And hours and hours glueing creatures to chips. It was worth it though.

Rompcat,
I noticed this tread was started in November. You probably already finished, or started at least. If so, what'd you end up doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gluckman
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd really like to know how this turned out too. I am looking forward to using Nick's ideas in the future.

Let us know how it turned out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.