Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing through Boulder Games new releases and saw Reef Encounters of the Second Kind. I thought "Awesome! I've wanted this since I saw it at Prezcon last year!"

Now I realise that it's limited edition, but $69.80 is a bit steep don't you think? That's almost as much as for the original edition of the game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: then I go over to Funagain and find it for $75...Jesus H Hockeystix....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sold at Essen for 30 Euros. Given the size of the box and the contents, it IS a touch steep. But then, that's the price you pay for being a completist!

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was covered in part in the Fowl Play game forum.

Richard did only 500 copies and costs per unit are higher than usual (RE was printed in a run of 1024 or so).

I don't belive that he's making much over cost.

Retailers didn't get much of a discount and have to tack on a hefty extra to make up for shipping, labour, etc. If you have the original, get this. If not, I think that Z-Man will be doing their version soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The shipping is rediculous to order this directly from R&D.. I think that's about the same or less than I paid ordering directly from Richard.

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
If you have the original, get this. If not, I think that Z-Man will be doing their version soon.

Oh, you mean you're *not* talking about the Z-Man edition?

Whew! I was worried there for a second. Reef Encounter is a top shelf game, but there's no way I'm paying $70 for the expansion. That kinda price would cure my "completionism" in a hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese comments on the whys and hows of pricing here

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1157475

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desmond Brand
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is unrelated to the games everyone else talking about, but I thought here would be a good price to express my frustration at the price one has to pay for Settlers of Catan expansions (at least here in Australia). That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine directly from Breese, and it was just over $60. The only way to get it cheaper appears to be by getting it at Essen, which really wasn't much of an option for me.

Yes, it hurt to pay so much for this expansion, but I really like the original art and wanted a matching expansion. I also understand the very nature of this expansion precluded a large print run, therefore increasing the price considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not arguing the size of the print run effecting price......

I wish I could justify the cost Kevin. I watched you and Ceasarmom play this at Prezcon, and it seemed to add alot of nice things to the game...but unless it adds another player (which I know it doesn't) then I cannot see $80 for ANY expansion.....too bad...I guess I might have to wait for my mis matched version from Z-man; I'd rather do that than pay so much to have it match my original game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I wish I could justify the cost Kevin.

The rational thing to do, as others have pointed out, is to just switch to the Zman version for both... it certainly is more cost effective. I guess my reasoning was that if I decided to get rid of it later, I wouldn't lose my money on it.

Mostly, I just try not to think about what I paid for it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robinson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Alhambra expansions are $30 CDN each. That is gouging. They could probably sell all 4 expansions in one box for the same price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
That would actually be 16 expansions in one box because each of the current expansion boxes contains 4 different expansions.

But I do agree about it costing as much for each one as the base game itself cost.
spiderman19 wrote:
The Alhambra expansions are $30 CDN each. That is gouging. They could probably sell all 4 expansions in one box for the same price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I created a geeklist of Expensive (or overpriced) expansions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17648

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should count yourself lucky that the expansion you're after didn't go out of print after a couple of years and is now like *gold dust* on EBay for silly money.
angry
Needless to say I'm talking about LOTR Risk! You gotta love 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
dmnd wrote:
This is unrelated to the games everyone else talking about, but I thought here would be a good palce to express my frustration at the price one has to pay for Settlers of Catan expansions games (at least here in Australia). That is all.

Slightly modified to express the sentiments of all Australians meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Karlsen wrote:
dmnd wrote:
This is unrelated to the games everyone else talking about, but I thought here would be a good palce to express my frustration at the price one has to pay for Settlers of Catan expansions games (at least here in Australia). That is all.

Slightly modified to express the sentiments of all Australians meeple

Hear hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.