Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
380 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Atheist microbadge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: microbadge [+] religion [+] stopped-long-ago-to-be-about-microbadge [+] [View All]
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
well...then can I get a "badge" which depicts an agnostic, insomniac, dyslexic person? This'll be the 'guy' who lies in bed awake all night, wondering if there really IS a "Dog"!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As we have many other religious badges, I'd like a pagan microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraliptar wrote:
I'm not overly concerned about which symbol is used but you could just use the American Atheist symbol but with the 'A' removed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Atheists

P.S. I'm more of an antitheist, although I strive to be nontheist.

Actually I did sort of like the electron cloud one (though as a model of electrons it's horribly inacurate and out of date). It says, "Officially, the letter 'A' in the middle stands for the country "America" and would in theory change for expansion into other countries." Well, how about we use the symbol but put a BGG in the middle? Or a die or something else universally known to represent games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how about ~G. Or G? Maybe a diagonal strike through rather than a horizontal one?

:edit: Paganism is a pretty broad category. I'm not even sure how to define it, given it no longer simply means 'non-Christian'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the inverted pentagram-in-circle fairly universal? It's what has been proposed in the current lawsuit by a widow of a soldier described as pagan for his grave marker in Arlington Cemetary (I think).

I think the slash in a circle is the clearest, most powerful offering from the links offered. If I was atheist and I needed other people to know it, that's what I would wear/display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know the current symbol was used by the "brights" or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm strongly opposed to the connotation of "bright" (i.e. is everyone else dim?). I would like the symbol changed or perhaps some way to get rid of it.

If it gets changed I'd rather not use a darwin fish or a cross with a line through it. Darwin has nothing to do with atheism and I don't want to coopt Christianity's symbol, they had it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
:edit: Paganism is a pretty broad category. I'm not even sure how to define it, given it no longer simply means 'non-Christian'.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=quote&thr...
BoardGameGeek Forums

The Pagan Federation describes it as:
Quote:
A definition of a Pagan:
A follower of a polytheistic or pantheistic nature-worshipping religion.
A definition of Paganism:
A polytheistic or pantheistic nature-worshipping religion.

http://www.paganfed.org/intro.php

This does encompass a lot, I admit. Although other religions have multiple branches with differences in belief and practice too.

Slowcorner said
Quote:
Isn't the inverted pentagram-in-circle fairly universal? It's what has been proposed in the current lawsuit by a widow of a soldier described as pagan for his grave marker in Arlington Cemetary (I think).

Pentacles (a five pointed star in a circle) aren't usually inverted. However it is a ancient symbol of protection and frequently used by many pagans, especially those who follow the Wiccan path as a symbol of their faith.

The pentacle has been proposed for inclusion among the approved religious symbols at Arlington - unfortunately it is taking a very long time to get approved. (People have been asking for its inclusion for nine years.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also prefer an agnostic badge instead of an atheist badge. I've just alwasy preferred the term, although in my beliefs (or lack thereof) I suppose I'm more of an atheist than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not crazy about the Brights either.

I made very simplistic atheist and agnostic badges in some geeklist somewhere, they were these:

Atheist:

Agnostic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those badges are fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I come here to research and discuss games . . . does my religion make any difference? Am I a better person for having a badge proclaiming myself a native american, a jew? Should it matter to me that you find werewolf an engaging enough game to display a microbadge of it below your avatar.

In the list of poor ideas that I've seen implemented here on BGG in the past 11 months, the microbadge is right up near the top.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The Nazis had a bunch of badges for people to wear on their coats as well, and it seems to have worked pretty well for them. The Nazis I mean, not the people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
citizen k wrote:
I come here to research and discuss games . . . does my religion make any difference? Am I a better person for having a badge proclaiming myself a native american, a jew? Should it matter to me that you find werewolf an engaging enough game to display a microbadge of it below your avatar.

In the list of poor ideas that I've seen implemented here on BGG in the past 11 months, the microbadge is right up near the top.

I agree, microbadges should show the games you play, not the religion you are, unless the site is now RBGG.

Why do people want to isolate themselves by religion, shouldn't being a game geek enough for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The Nazis had a bunch of badges for people to wear on their coats as well, and it seems to have worked pretty well for them. The Nazis I mean, not the people.

Well that is your personal opinion. But not one that everyone shares with you. Lots of people like the idea of geek badges that label things they want to share in their set of personal interests. Yes BGG is a game site, and enjoy. But it doesn't mean that other addons don't have value add for MANY others.

Oh and, Godwin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:

Why do people want to isolate themselves by religion, shouldn't being a game geek enough for you?

Looks like microbadges have morphed into identity indicators: sports teams, beverage choices, software usage ("tea drinker" and "firefox user" ferchrissakes!laugh ).

For a lot of folks, their religion- their faith- is a much larger component of their self-identity than which sports team they support. And they pay more for it-look at the abuse shoveled onto the Christians in this forum. So if someone wants to identify him- or herself by religious affiliation, what the hell's it to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
citizen k wrote:

No it shouldn't matter to you. However I choose to openly wear a pentacle in daily life - at work, at home, at university, at public events. What's the problem with the microbadges reflecting my reality?

The badges are not forced on us - we can choose which we want, if at all. However I want a pentacle, and that is the one badge I would buy, if it was available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:

For a lot of folks, their religion- their faith- is a much larger component of their self-identity than which sports team they support.

Hear hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*tap,tap, tap*

Um...Lajos?

The last three posts weren't complaining about non-gaming (specifically religious) microbadges. They were supporting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With THIS volatile a topic???? I doubt it...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind an
though I'm not crazy about it either.

I guess the biggest complaint against it is that it's a letter in some parts of the world, but it's no biggie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a member of the cult of Priapus I feel left out here... I'd like to request a geekbadge to represent my beliefs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthan Heiselt
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It reminds me of:

I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
As a member of the cult of Priapus I feel left out here... I'd like to request a geekbadge to represent my beliefs.

And in your case, it would even be to scale! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
And in your case, it would even be to scale!

:rimshot:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.