Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for elegant and simple wargames. I have already some block games (Crusader Rex, Victory in the Pacific), Fire in the sky, Battle for Germany and Twilight Struggle. Everything that falls into this ranges of complexity is fine. Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd suggest A Victory Lost. I've only been able to get in some solo play, but I think simple and elegant describes it. The complexity is in the decisions you make rather than in the rule set.

-Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out "A Victory Lost" produced by Multiman Publishing www.multimanpublishing.com

A lot of these were going home from the dealer's room at a regional con I just attended boughten by various of my friends whose taste in games I would trust. Doesn't really fit in to what I need in a war game right now but the "buzz" has been that this game does do some elegant things in a simple way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
I'd suggest A Victory Lost. I've only been able to get in some solo play, but I think simple and elegant describes it. The complexity is in the decisions you make rather than in the rule set.

-Aaron

Jinx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powell
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andreas, I would check out Battle for Moscow on the Geek. It is free. You print up your own mapboard and counters. The rules are extremely simple and you can play a game in 90 minutes. Sometimes less than 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Command and Colors:Ancients? too tactical and simplified?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Memoir'44 and I did not like so much the restrictions that the activation of units by cards put on the play...
A chit based mechanism as in Clash of giants II is OK for me, but the command&coulors system did not get me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Friedrich by Histogame/Rio Grande.

An awesome elegant Euro_Wargame which you can easily jump into without umpteen pages of rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Bonaparte at Marengo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now playing solitaire "A House Divided". Strategic simulation of American Civil War with two levels of complexity (basic and advanced rules), and several scenarios. It's not expensive and has great production values... and it's a classic!

Other games: Hannibal: Rome Vs Carthage (only it's OOP and superexpensive on ebay.. and you have to enjoy card driven games), Bonaparte at Marengo (really simple and quite a unique system), Europe Engulfed is about to be reprinted (only it takes a whole day to play it), Shifting Sands (looks interesting, but I haven't played it), Pacific Victory (block game in the Pacific, WWII)... and then in the multiplayer arena we find Nexus Ops, Conquest of the Empire, Shattered States, Risk 2210AD, Wallenstein (or Shogun).. Some of these have some euro mechanics.

I hope I helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some wargames that fit your complexity criteria:

Friedrich by Histogame (distributed by Rio Grande Games in the United States)

A House Divided (3rd edition) by Phalanx Games

Bonaparte at Marengo by Simmons Games

Additionally, Simmons Games will be releasing the much anticipated, Napoleon's Triumph, which builds upon Bonaparte at Marengo.

Just my 2 cents. Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second A House Divided and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. I would also recommend Wilderness War and Imperium. They are both out of print, but you can still find Wilderness War on-line or in stores and you can pick up Imperium for $20-$30 on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmyrick wrote:
How about Bonaparte at Marengo?

I second this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory in the Pacific is readily available in the aftermarket, is simple yet elegant. And has a very robust community of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The older Columbia block games, like Quebec 1759 and War of 1812, are a little simpler than most of the titles you mentioned, but are still fun.

Some other old SPI titles that fit are the S&T WWI game and Leningrad. I hear the Decision reprints, which should be easy to find, are pretty decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it myself but many have recommended the game VIKTORY II when I have asked similar questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the only thing about the Command & Colors system that bothers you is the cards, you might want to look at the Wars of America series, by Worthington Games. They use a very similar system, but use action points instead of the cards to determine who can move and fight. The first game in the series is: Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War. The second game in the series is: For Honor and Glory: War of 1812 Land and Naval Battles. They are working on a third game in the series, about the Mexican-American War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't do much more elegant than Barbarian, Kingdom, and Empire.. especially if you like the ancient era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Try the American Revolution Series by GMT.

Guilford is on sale for under $20, and includes two different battles. Is a classic hex and counter, but is both simple and elegant, but strategically deep.

Savannah is a hybrid that can be played two or three player, and includes the "siege" leading to the assault on the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.