Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a long time since I purchased a "chit" cardboard counter wargame.
Am I correct in assuming this would solitaire well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well. And once you've learned the game there are plenty of opportunities to play it PBeM (play by e-mail) with other people over VASSAL. (Or, you can play it live over VASSAL if you can find the same time to game with your opponrnt. There is also a Cyberboard version just out (or it will be shortly)).

VASSAL's main page for download is here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_s...
It requires Java to be installed on your PC/Mac. Most people have that already, but if it's not there, that page has a link to it.

A Victory Lost's VASSAL module is available here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

There are no instructions...some find it pretty intuitive, others don't. If you get the game and have difficulty loading/using the software, drop me a geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

I've played one game solo so far on the table and it worked just fine. I'm stumbling thru a VASSAL game solo that also happens to be my very first VASSAL game. The "stumbling" is of my own creation, the VASSAL set seems excellent, I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I am also stumbling through the SOLO Vassal set. And the stumbling block I have now....how do I draw an activation chit?

The chits have been placed in the coffee cup, but when I try to draw one, nothing happens.

Is there some special "action" I need to take to signify end of move, etc?

I have gotten through set-up, and the special first combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
LEHaskell wrote:
do you see the chits in the mug?

Yes, that is why I feel I am close.

Quote:
If so, you just need to drag one to the "Current" box.

blush Drag? Drag? I had been clicking, double-clicking, right-clicking that stack blush

Yes, dragging works. Any other secrets?

I agree that the interface is very nice with the activatived units highlighted (as well as command range). Makes it nice to see what the Russian options are for their first special combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play this solitaire if you don't mind me asking. I didn't see it mentioned in the rule book. Do you just have to play against yourself like in most other games? I am new to wargaming so I haven't figured it all out yet

Thanks

TGov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no special solitaire rules for AVL. You just play both sides. I haven't done it, but it seems like it would work fairly well, since the randomized order of the chit-pull prevents you from knowing exactly what will happen.

Personally, I have a hard time playing any wargame solitaire, because when I'm playing one side, I know what the other side is planning and I can never decide if I should pretend I don't know, or not, and how to pretend I don't know if that's what I should do, etc.

But it definitely seems like it would be easier than most wargames to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Harris
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
When you look at the Activations window, do you see the chits in the mug?
If so, you just need to drag one to the "Current" box. It should automatically highlight the units which are in command.
It looks as though dragging the chits into the mug places them there as a stack. Trying to drag one back out to "choose" it pops the top one off the stack. That means there's no randomized chit pulling, unless one can deliberately forget the order in which the chits were deposited into the mug; they come back out in the reverse order in which they were put in. Am I missing something here about how to draw a random chit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heap Senhouse
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you actually tried dragging them out of the cup? They are not a stack - they don't come off the cup in the same order you put them in.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Harris
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senhouse wrote:
Have you actually tried dragging them out of the cup?
Yes, of course. That's what prompted me to write.
Senhouse wrote:
They are not a stack - they don't come off the cup in the same order you put them in.
Well, having played with it more since first writing, I concede that you're right, but there is (or was) something biased in that random generator. Before, 100% of the time, the last piece I put in came right back out. Now when I try it, it's not 100%, but it seems too close to feel random. I'll keep playing with it and see if I notice any more anomalies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.