Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: consumer_warning [+] [View All]
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Overlords, a self proclaimed Titan derivative.
I have never spent money less wisely.

I sent the manufacturer, Guild of Blades this letter:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sirs,
I recently purchased your Overlords game. I bought it by mail, which I assume is the only way people actually buy it, since one look at the packaging would scare most gamers away.
I must say in 40 years of gaming I've never seen anything less worthy of being called a game. The packaging is horrible. The manufacture so cheap that a fifth grade kid with a science project mentality could construct this better.
It contains hundreds of tokens the consumer must sticker himself and blurry, badly printed terrain sheets. To call them "boards" would be much too generous.
The boards themselves are badly cut pieces of flimsy cardboard with offcenter stickers attached.
The sticker price has an MSRP of $44.95, I paid $20 and feel like I paid $25 too much.
If you'd like to take this game back, I'd happily return it to you for half of what I paid for it.
In fact if you'd agree to stop manufacturing this and recall all your copies, I'll send it back to you for free. At least that way I can feel as if I've accomplished a good deed.

Sincerely (and all my comments are VERY sincere),
Rik Van Horn
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I'd checked here before I bought the thing.

To add insult to injury, the seller or the "manufacturer" neglected to include the rules in the box.
Oy vey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few items from them and, believe me, this is one of their better manufactured items. Its seems that all their rules are photocopied on the same machine that is in bad need of replacement. Even if you got rules they can very easily be incomplete (the rules for Barbary Coast do not even include how to do combat, a major portion of the game). They make Winsome games look a premiere game company. At least with Winsome, what they do is good DTP quality. The "board" you got is better than most of theirs, which are usually bad black and white copies on regular paper. A lot of their game pieces are bad printouts on (sometimes) heavier paper in black and white.
Imagine how you would feel if you paid list price. I'm sure there are people who have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha the manufacturer rated the game a 9 yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, now, everybody will look this game up on the Geek, it will become a Hot Game and the manufacturer will look on it as a success because it got so much 'buzz'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.