Popular Tags: [View All]
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing the Poorhouse such:

I have 5 cards in my hand. I decide to build a 4 cost building. I put it down and discard the other 4 cards in my hand, leaving me with no cards. I then draw a card as an effect of my Poorhouse in play (built in a previous turn).

However, when I was playing a computer version of San Juan, it does this:

I have 5 cards in my hand. I decide to build a 4 cost building. I put it down and discard the other 4 cards in my hand, leaving me with no cards. The computer game does NOT give me a card for my Poorhouse. I've noticed that it seems to check for Poorhouse effect AFTER I decide to build but BEFORE I pay for the building by discarding cards.

Is the computer game correct? Do I check for Poorhouse effect before I build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hurdoc wrote:

No way. How silly would that be? You'd only get a card if you had 0 or 1 cards before building. If you had 0, you couldn't build. If you had 1, you could only build if you had a discount (maybe just using builder privilege for a cost 1 building).

The card reads,

owner takes 1 card from the supply if he has only 0 or 1 hand card after building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
morningstar wrote:
Hurdoc wrote:

No way. How silly would that be? You'd only get a card if you had 0 or 1 cards before building. If you had 0, you couldn't build. If you had 1, you could only build if you had a discount (maybe just using builder privilege for a cost 1 building).

The card reads,

owner takes 1 card from the supply if he has only 0 or 1 hand card after building

Yeah.. the card is already weak.. the computer "error" results in the weakest card in the game. You are/were playing the card correct.. ignore the machine.

Better: ignore that card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kleiner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The Rules for the Poorhouse Building is, if you build whether or not you are the Builder and you are down to 1 card or zero cards whether its a production or violet building, you get a free card after you build however as far as Carpenter goes for Violet Buildings where you get a free card for that and you are down to just one card you only get your free card for Carpenter but if its down to zero cards after building then you get a Carpenter Card first then the Poorhouse Free Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.