Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night's gaming on table #2 concluded with Ticket to Ride: Maerklin. We had four players, two veterans and two with experience in other TtR versions, so we got off to a fast start.

The early game featured an unusually long card drawing phase, with no one claiming a route for many turns. Eventually three of us started placing trains, purple and yellow (me) on the western edge of the map and red on the east. There was no real competition for routes until black made his move, inserting himself neatly into the western portion of the map with purple and I.

Very few passengers were being placed, so I thought perhaps my experience with Maerklin was going to pay off, but I had kept all four starting tickets and had to ignore the passenger cards in order to claim my routes before the other two shut me out, so I ended up running on my own routes only. I did score 40 points from passengers in the end (second to purple with 45) due to the fact that my four tickets lent themselves to one long train, but one more passenger card would have put me over 50.

Having the east to himself gave red the luxury of building long trains and he racked up numerous 18 point routes while using a remarkably low number of wilds, especially considering the number of two and three length routes we claimed with wilds in the west. These long trains depleted his supply unexpectedly quickly, leaving me no time to draw the extra tickets I had planned for, and by the time final scoring came around red was up by 40 points.

Fortunately, I was able to complete the tickets I held and no one else had drawn any new ones, so the 10 point placard for most tickets put me over the top by two. I was very happy to have a chance to play Maerklin again, because as a train fan I can't get enough of the artwork and I quite enjoy the way it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.