Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend a bit of time here looking at forum posts, lists and reviews and I have been noticing what I consider a problem with the way many here reference games.

I'm talking about the over use / abuse of initialisms and acronyms for the names of games.

You like the trading but it's not as good as in SoC
PR is a meatier game
T&E has similar mechaincs
It's a better gatway than T2R

Whatever, I'm just making this up on the fly but you get my point.

The thing is, I know what most of them mean. You know what most of them mean. However, new people coming to the site to read a reveiw of a game have no idea what the hell is being talked about.
Jargon is a sure fire way to keep people on the outside on the outside.

There have been numerous times when I haven't been able to fully get a grasp on a game since I didn't know what other games were being referenced. If I had that knowlege I could look at that game as well and compare the two. This puts me off and I can only imagine what it must be like for new users.

I would just like to ask that you use initialisms and acronyms in a thoughtful manner. If you are going to reference a game only once in your article simply type out the full name. It doesn't take that long.
If you are going to reference it numerous times please type out the full name the first time with the initialism next to it in parentheses (or the other way around, either works) so that we know what you ar talking about.

I know this is a small, nitpicky thing but it's really been bugging me lately and I truly think it's something that could make the site a little bit more new user friendly.

Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dee b.
United States
flag msg tools
I, for one, am glad you mentioned it.
I've known about this site for two days and have no idea what they're talking about!
I do want to help introduce our teens to quality boardgames, including SoC, if only I can figure out what the titles are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I use TLA's and FLA's all over the place in the forum, but I make an effort not to use them in reviews and sessions. I work for IBM, it's BAU...meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Initialisms / Acronyms are getting out of hand

Initialisms = made up word

From Wikipedia:

Nomenclature

Initialism originally referred to abbreviations formed from initials, without reference to pronunciation, but during the middle portion of the twentieth century, when they saw more use than ever before, the word acronym was coined for abbreviations that are pronounced as words, like NATO or AIDS.
Of the words, acronym is the much more frequently used and known; and many use it to describe any abbreviation formed from initial letters.[1][2][3][4][5] This is a contentious point, however, and other sources differentiate between the two terms, restricting acronym to pronounceable words formed from the letters of each of the constituent words, and using initialism or alphabetism[6] for abbreviations pronounced as the names of the individual letters. In the latter usage, examples of proper acronyms would be NATO (IPA: [?ne?to?] or [?ne?t?u]), and radar ([?re?d?(?)]), while examples of mere initialisms would include FBI ([?f.bi?a?]) and HTML ([e?t?.ti.?m??l]).[7][8][9][10]
There is no agreement as to what to call abbreviations that contain both separately pronounced letters and sequences of letters pronounced as a "word", such as JPEG (jay-peg) or MS-DOS (em-ess-doss). These abbreviations are sometimes referred to as acronym-initialism hybrids, although they are grouped by most under the broad meaning of acronym.
In English-language discussion of languages with syllable-based writing systems (such as Chinese, Japanese, and Korean), acronym describes short forms that take the first character of each (multi-character) element. For example, Beijing University—Beijing Daxue (literally, North-Capital Big-School ????)—is widely known as Beida (literally, North-Big ??). In describing such languages, the term initialism is inapplicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
SoC is particularly troublesome. It could mean Settlers of Catan, Shadows Over Camelot, Storm of Chaos (for Warhammer players) and lots more besides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
SoC is particularly troublesome. It could mean Settlers of Catan, Shadows Over Camelot, Storm of Chaos (for Warhammer players) and lots more besides.

Settlers of Camelot, anyone? Or perhaps Shadows over Catan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try working for the government or its subcontractors. I don't even notice them, here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Initialisms / Acronyms are getting out of hand

Initialisms = made up word

Brian Waters (Koldfoot) = made up person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick bump as this is still occuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.