Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
712 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [29] | 

Star Realms» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BGG Star Realms League: Main announcement thread -- SEASON 47 HAS BEGUN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: starrealms [+] [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
Welcome to the BoardGameGeek Star Realms League!

The purpose of this thread is to convey important updates and information to the league as a whole.

I strongly recommend that all current league players subscribe to this thread and also encourage there to be very little posting here by league members unless I request it.

If you are not part of the league, but are interested in having your name added to the waiting list as a replacement for current players who do not continue into next season, please geekmail me or post in this thread.

LEAGUE LINKS OF INTEREST

BGG Star Realms League player ratings
BGG Star Realms League -- historical standings and champions
punkin's BGG Star Realms League microbadge: Microbadge: I Love the Star Realms League on BGG

LEAGUE RULES

ROUND STRUCTURE

- A round begins when the standings for the round just finished are posted along with the pairings for the next round. (For the first round, the round begins with this post.)

- The maximum duration of a round is 72 hours (rounded to the next morning, CDT). Matches that are not completed within the 72-hour timeframe will still count once they are completed. A post at the 48-hour mark will indicate which games are still unfinished.

- Each round will be played discretely. In other words, players will not generally "play ahead" by playing matches against divisional opponents in quick succession (unless they have notified their DC of an absence).

- In this league, "match" is defined as "one game against an opponent."

DIVISION STRUCTURE

- The duration of the season is 11 rounds, as each player will play each other player in the division once.

- Standings will be posted upon the conclusion of each round.

- Standings are determined by a player's record of wins and losses.

- The columns you will see in the standings are as follows:

W - wins
L - losses
Pct - winning percentage (wins divided by games played)
Card Pref - the player's preference for playing with expansions:
A - all expansion material
V - no expansion material ("vanilla")
G - Gambits only
1 - Promos only
B - Bases only
E - Events only
G1, GB, GE, 1B, 1E, BE
- double combinations of above options
G1B, G1E, GBE, 1BE
- triple combinations of above options
NP - no preference

- If a division has an assigned type (for example, "Type B"), then all games should generally be played as that type.

- If a division does not have an assigned type, players should try to come to a mutual understanding. If that is not possible due to a player's insistence on their preference, the game will be played according to the lowest common denominator; in this context, A is highest, followed by triple combinations (e.g., G1B), double combinations (e.g., 1B), individual types (G, 1, B, E), and finally V. If two players have an "equal" preference (e.g., both with triple combinations), they may still default down to the lowest common denominator (with the lowest common denominator always being V).

- Platinum Tier has a rotating format. The current roster of the Platinum Tier will vote on the next season's assigned type at the start of the current season's round 10. The formats of the current season and the preceding season will not be eligible in this vote.

- Gold Tier has assigned formats, determined by the League Commissioner and based on the preferences of the players in the tier. One of the two divisions will be Type V.

- The regular operation of a division is overseen by a Division Commissioner (DC). The DC has been authorized to act on behalf of -- and be in many ways functionally the same as -- the League Commissioner (LC). All league rules questions and notifications about time away should be directed to your DC. Some tiers may also have a Tier Commissioner (TC).

LEAGUE STRUCTURE

- The league is divided into five tiers: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Iron.

- The tiers are arranged in a pyramidal structure, with a different number of divisions in each tier, as follows:

Platinum - 1 division
Gold - 2 divisions
Silver - 4 divisions
Bronze - 6 divisions
Iron - 10 divisions

- The top 2 players in every division but the Platinum Tier will be promoted. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next higher tier.

- The bottom 4 players in the Platinum and Gold Tiers and the bottom 3 players in the Silver and Bronze Tiers will be relegated. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next lower tier. (Exceptions: To accommodate promotion from below, extra players may need to be relegated from the Silver and Bronze Tiers, based on record, at the discretion of the league commissioner.)

- In the event that there are players who do not wish to continue for the next season of play, the exact number of players being promoted or relegated may be adjusted downward and/or upward, at the discretion of the LC.

- In the event of a tie for a promotion or relegation spot, tiebreakers will be applied (see next section).

TIEBREAKERS FOR PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

If players are tied for promotion or relegation, deterministic tiebreakers will be applied, to the extent possible. (Note: All possible scenarios may not be covered here. Those not covered will be logical extensions of what is being discussed here.)

In general, the tiebreakers will look at performance against particular players in the regular season. As ties are broken, reductions will be applied, and once a tie is broken, it stays broken.

2 players: Results of the regular season match apply.
- If the two players are tied for a promotion spot, the winner of their regular season match will be promoted.
- If the two players are tied for a relegation spot, the loser of their regular season match will be relegated.

3+ players:*
- A.) Results of the regular season matches between the tied players.
- B.) Results of the regular season matches against all players in 1st place (for a promotion tiebreaker) or last place (for a relegation tiebreaker), or the first rank not in the tie.
- C.) Results of the regular season matches against all players in 2nd place (for promotion) or next-to-last place (for relegation), or the second rank not in the tie.
- D.) Et cetera...

*After each step:
- Apply reductions, if possible.
- If two players remain tied, use the 2-player tiebreaker rules.
- If three or more players are still tied, proceed to the following step.

All players tied for a position are considered to be of the same rank, even if reductions have been applied.

In the event that all possible steps have been followed, there may be an actual playoff. In most cases, this will not happen.

Example of complex 3-player tiebreaker:
- Aweberman, BCSBuck, and ChadEllis have tied for the second promotion spot in a division.
- Step A has them compare their records against one another; this results in a tie of 1-1 for all three players.
- Step B has them compare their records against the player in first place (since this is promotion), who is Darklighter; this results in a tie of 0-1 for all three players.
- Step C has them compare their records against the players in second place. However, they are tied for second place. So instead they compare their records against the players in fifth place (the next rank outside the tie). There are two players tied for fifth, Eucee and FlyingArrow; their records against these players are 2-0 for Aweberman, 2-0 for BCSBuck, and 1-1 for ChadEllis. A reduction is applied, and ChadEllis is removed from contention.
- The two remaining players look at the results of their regular season match. Aweberman won this match, so he wins the tiebreaker. (Hey, a guy can dream.)

Example of a complex 7-player tiebreaker: (from Season 14, Silver Tier, Obliterator Division):
- Seven players are tied for fifth place. Four relegation spots need to be determined. The player alone in 12th takes the first relegation spot.
- Step A looks at the results of the regular season matches within the group. The records of the 7 players within the tied group are as follows: 2 players with 4-2, 3 players with 3-3, and 2 players with 2-4.
- Reductions are applied: The 2 players with records of 2-4 within the tied group are assigned the second and third relegation spots, while the 3 players with records of 3-3 are now tied for the fourth relegation spot.
- Step B looks at the results of the subgroup of 3 tied players against the player in last place (since this is relegation). All three players were 1-0 against the player in 12th.
- Step C looks at the results of the subgroup of 3 tied players against the next position up from the bottom (since this is relegation). In this case, the next position up is the 7 players tied for fifth place. Since this rank is in the tie, it is not considered; instead, the second rank from the bottom not in the tie is the 2-way tie for third place. The 3 tied players had records of 1-1, 0-2, and 0-2.
- Reductions are applied: The player with the better record is removed from the tie (since this is relegation). Now that there are only two players in the tie, the 2-player tiebreaker rules take effect. The player who lost the regular season game between the two remaining tied players takes the final relegation slot.

TIER CHAMPIONSHIPS

Each tier will have available to it one prize -- generously provided by White Wizard Games. The Platinum Tier winner will have first choice of prize, followed in turn by the champion of the Gold, then Silver, then Bronze, then Iron Tier.

The prizes are determined no later than the start of the Tier Championships. Prize support will continue going forward for as long as White Wizard chooses to provide it. If you like this idea and want White Wizard to continue, head over to this link to let them know: http://www.starrealms.com/contact-us/.

The champions of each tier will be determined by having a playoff among the division winners, including all those tied for first.

Tournament structures for any particular number of players are as follows:

2 players: A one-game playoff.

3 players:
- Each player will play the other two players simultaneously.
- The player who finishes with two wins is the champion.
- In the event of a tie, another round will be played in the same manner.

4 players:
- The players will be seeded 1-4, based on their records (ties broken randomly), and arranged into a single-elimination tournament bracket.

5 players:
- The players will be seeded 1-5, based on their records (ties broken randomly).
- Each player will play two matches, and pairings will be as follows:

1 v. 5
1 v. 4
2 v. 4
2 v. 3
3 v. 5

- If all players tie after the first round, a second round will be played with the following pairings:

1 v. 2
1 v. 3
2 v. 5
3 v. 4
4 v. 5

- If all players tie after the second round, a third round will be played with the pairings of the first round, etc.
- Otherwise, the other two possible finishes are:
-- a) one player finishes 2-0, three players finish 1-1, and one player finishes 0-2, or,
-- b) two players finish 2-0, one player finishes 1-1, and two players finish 0-2
- In the event of outcome (a), that player is the champion. In the event of outcome (b), the next round will be a 2-player playoff (see above).

6 players:
- The players will be seeded 1-6, based on their records (ties broken randomly).
- The players will be grouped into 3 pods of 2 players each, and pairings will be as follows:

1 v. 6
2 v. 5
3 v. 4

- The winner of each pod in the first round of the playoff will proceed into the second round, which will be performed according to a normal 3-player playoff (see above).

7 players:
- The players will be seeded 1-7, based on their records (ties broken randomly).
- Each player will play two matches, and pairings will be as follows:

1 v. 7
1 v. 6
2 v. 7
2 v. 5
3 v. 6
3 v. 4
4 v. 5

- If all players tie after the first round, a second round will be played with the following pairings:

1 v. 5
1 v. 4
2 v. 6
2 v. 3
3 v. 7
5 v. 6
4 v. 7

- If all players tie after the second round, a third round will be played with the following pairings:

1 v. 3
1 v. 2
2 v. 4
3 v. 5
4 v. 6
5 v. 7
6 v. 7

- If all players tie after the third round, a fourth round will be played with the pairings of the first round, etc.
- Otherwise, the other three possible finishes are:
-- a) one player finishes 2-0, five players finish 1-1, and one player finishes 0-2, or,
-- b) two players finish 2-0, three players finish 1-1, and two players finish 0-2
-- c) three players finish 2-0, one player finishes 1-1, and three players finish 0-2
- In the event of outcome (a), that player is the champion. In the event of outcome (b), the next round will be a 2-player playoff (see above). In the event of outcome (c), the next round will be a 3-player playoff (see above).

8 players:
- The players will be seeded 1-8, based on their records (ties broken randomly), and arranged into a single-elimination tournament bracket.

9 players, 11 players, 13 players:
To follow the same general outline as 5- and 7-player tournaments.

10 players, 12 players, 14 players:
- In phase A, each player will play one match. The players will be grouped so as to respect preference as much as possible without forcing players from the same division to play each other, when possible. Winners advance to phase B.
- Phase B will be played according to the rules of 5-, 6-, or 7-player tournaments, respectively (see above).

16 players:
- - The players will be seeded 1-16, based on their records (ties broken randomly), and arranged into a single-elimination tournament bracket.

REMINDERS, TIPS, NOTES, & CLARIFICATIONS

- Please check in at regular intervals to BGG -- daily, if possible. It would also be a good idea to subscribe to this thread.

- Please endeavor to play at a good pace. Though there is no system in place for penalizing slow play, if it becomes burdensome to the other players in the division, the LC (at the recommendation of the DC) may be forced to remove a lagging player from the league.

- When matches are posted, either player may send the challenge.

- When matches conclude, either player may post the result. Screenshots are not necessary. Final scores are not necessary. The player who does not post the result should give a thumbs-up to the player who did post the result (by clicking the green thumbs-up icon on the post).

- If at some point during the season you anticipate being unavailable for more that a day or two, please notify me as far in advance as you can. In this situation, I am willing to double up games from the rounds you will be absent for so as not to delay the entire division.

- If a player fails to post to this thread by the time the pairings for round 3 are posted, that player will be removed or replaced.

- In the event that a player unexpectedly stops responding to invitations or games being played and it becomes apparent to the DC that the player has abandoned the league, that player will be removed (if it is later than round 3). When a player is removed, all of a player's games are vacated, including games already played; this means that a player's games already played will not count and that future opponents will have a bye for a round.

- If a challenge to another player times out, that challenge should be reissued. If it times out a second time, the match will be forfeited by the timed-out player.

- If a match times out after it has begun, it will be forfeited by the timed-out player.

- Players are not expected to compensate for bugs in the game itself.

- Players should generally be playing with the most up-to-date version of the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: The Battle for Hill 218 fanMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
Re: BGG Star Realms League: Main discussion thread
First to post!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reclaimer
msg tools
Microbadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: The Resistance fanMicrobadge: Sheriff of Nottingham FanMicrobadge: Netrunner fan
Chad_Ellis wrote:
First to post!!!!
But I just play an Imperial Frigate. Discard first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
The Platinum Tier has finished its regular season and we can crown a winner: FlyingArrow. I will update the post when he has decided on his prize.

His league record is as follows:

Season 8: Platinum Tier, 1st
Season 7: Platinum Tier, T-6th
Season 6: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-2nd
Season 5: Silver Tier, Cutter Division, T-2nd
Season 4: Bronze Tier, Fighter Division, T-1st

Quite a record of success!

Edit: Unsurprisingly, FlyingArrow has chosen the playmat as his prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My magic number reached zero in 2019.Microbadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I play dead CCGs
Thanks, Remy. My first outright league win comes at the Platinum tier - good spot for it! I'm more impressed by HomerJr's 4th straight 2nd place in Platinum. Sustained success.

If there are any takers, I'd trade the playmat for the Crisis set. If you let me know before Remy ships it and I can have it shipped directly to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Cutter Division in the Silver Tier is the second division to finish, and bluehiker is the champion with a very impressive record of 10-1. He will be promoted to the Gold Tier along with mepda.

bluehiker's league record has been as follows:

Season 8: Silver Tier, Cutter Division, 1st
Season 7: Silver Tier, Cutter Division, T-7th
Season 6: Bronze Tier, Pod Division, 2nd
Season 5: Silver Tier, Cutter Division, 9th
Season 4: Silver Tier, Cutter Division, T-5th
Season 3: Division 4, 8th
Season 2: Division 4, T-3rd

Both are also enrolled into the Silver Tier Championship, a contest between the top two finishers in each division and the two best third-place records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Ram Division in the Silver Tier is the third division to finish, and Nimral is the champion with a record of 8-3. nearlygod and Vidarrr are squaring off for the second promotion spot.

At this point, with 3 players having a 3rd-place record of 7-4, it seems likely that all three will make it to at least a play-in round for the Tier Championship.

Nimral's league record is as follows:

Season 8: Silver Tier, Ram Division, 1st
Season 7: Bronze Tier, Pod Division, 1st

We'll see if he can continue his winning ways in the Gold Tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Good Monday morning, all. I just wanted to provide an update on how far each division has progressed.

Platinum Tier: finished
Gold Tier, Dreadnaught Division: round 10 (two games outstanding from round 9)
Gold Tier, Mothership Division: round 10 (one game outstanding from round 9)
Silver Tier, Cutter Division: finished
Silver Tier, Frigate Division: round 10 (two games outstanding from round 9)
Silver Tier, Ram Division: final playoff round
Bronze Tier, Bot Division: round 10
Bronze Tier, Fighter Division: round 10
Bronze Tier, Pod Division: round 10
Bronze Tier, Shuttle Division: round 10 (one game outstanding from round 9)

A minimum pace (3 days per round) would also have a division in round 10. But even the fastest divisions haven't been that far ahead. I like a nice, even league. Good work, everybody!

As for Season 9, if we presume a minimum pace going forward, May 1st (or thereabouts) is still looking like a good guess for when we'll be ready -- though I could see letting it slip to May 4th so as to start on Monday. We'll see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'm anticipating Season 9 starting within the next 1½-2 weeks, so in the interests of planning ahead a little bit...

For Season 8, Gambits were optional, but not preferred. Now that everyone has had a month or so to play with them, I wonder whether anybody's opinion has changed? And exactly how many people still don't have the set?

That means it's polling time!

Poll
Do you want Gambits to be the default/preferred option for Season 9?
Yes
No
I don't have the Gambits expansion
      105 answers
Poll created by Aweberman

Please don't comment in this thread, though, as I don't want it to be cluttered. Your simple vote will be good enough for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: The Battle for Hill 218 fanMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
I voted for Gambits. I get the complaints that it increases the luck factor, but I think it also increases the skill factor -- thus, while there are a few more games that are blowouts from turn one ("Look, ma, I bought Brain World before shuffling!") I think there are also a higher percentage of the remaining games that are decided by play decisions.

More generally, I think the league should probably keep pace with whatever is the current "main" format of the game, which is currently with Gambits. Plus, Rob and Darwin are my buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Fighter Division in the Bronze Tier is the fourth division to finish, and we have co-champions: John and taalmod, both scoring records of 8-3 and taking the two automatic promotion spots.

Unfortunately, the players tied for third place are one game out of what will be the best third-place record in the tier, and so none of them will be playing for the wild-card promotion.

Here is taalmod's league record:

Season 8: Bronze Tier, Fighter Division, T-1st
Season 7: Silver Tier, Ram Division, T-11th
Season 6: Silver Tier, Ram Division, T-4th
Season 5: Silver Tier, Ram Division, 3rd
Season 4: Silver Tier, Ram Division, 6th
Season 3: Division 9, 1st

Meanwhile, John's league record is much shorter:

Season 8: Bronze Tier, Fighter Division, T-1st

That's right: A promotion in his first season -- a nice accomplishment!

Both players will also be playing in the Bronze Tier Championship, which will be coming up shortly, I suspect, as the seasons should start closing quickly now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Bot Division in the Bronze Tier is the fifth division to finish (mostly), and FrUnitSeven is the champion with a record of 8-3. Janus and suzanne are going head-to-head for the second promotion spot.

Here is FrUnitSeven's league record:

Season 8: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, 1st
Season 7: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, T-4th
Season 6: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, T-9th
Season 5: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, 8th
Season 4: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, T-6th

Hopefully he can make his first trip up to the Silver Tier a good one.

And, of course, he will also be playing in the Bronze Tier Championship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Pod Division in the Bronze Tier is the sixth division to finish, and TheCutter is the champion with a record of 9-2. geneinkc grabbed the second promotion spot, the last man standing after a four-way tie for second in the next-to-last round.

Here is TheCutter's league record:

Season 8: Bronze Tier, Pod Division, 1st
Season 7: Bronze Tier, Pod Division, 12th
Season 6: Silver Tier, Frigate Division, 10th
Season 5: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, 3rd
Season 4: Bronze Tier, Bot Division, T-6th

For all you guys and gals out there who bemoan a poor season, take note of TheCutter. He finished dead last in back-to-back seasons (6 & 7), then entered the final round of this season with a 3-game lead. Never give up; never surrender!

Another interesting fact is that both FrUnitSeven (Bot Division winner) and TheCutter (Pod Division winner) started the league in the same season (Season 4) and tied each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And the Shuttle Division in the Bronze Tier is the seventh division to (almost) finish (except for the shouting), and DADDYO is the champion with a record of 9-2 firdammon claimed the second promotion spot.

Here is DADDYO's league record:

Season 8: Bronze Tier, Shuttle Division, 1st
Season 7: Bronze Tier, Shuttle Division, T-6th
Season 6: Mercenary Division, T-8th
Season 5: (did not play)
Season 4: Bronze Tier, Pod Division, T-8th

Another first-timer into the Silver Tier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And at the risk of over-spamming this thread, let me also let everybody know that I anticipate the structure of at least the Silver and Bronze Tier Championships to be in place for me to launch them tomorrow morning.

I think I will make a new thread for the Championships and link them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I Love the Star Realms League on BGGMicrobadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: White Wizard Games "Star Realms: Frontiers" Contest participantMicrobadge: White Wizard Games "Hero Realms" Contest participant
As far as I'm concerned, spam away. I love this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Mothership Division in the Gold Tier is the eighth division to finish, and matdav and Jaybirdy are the co-champions, both scoring records of 8-3.

Here is matdav's league record:

Season 8: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-1st
Season 7: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-4th
Season 6: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-7th
Season 5: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-3rd
Season 4: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-3rd
Season 3: Division 3, T-1st
Season 2: Division 3, T-7th
Season 1: Division 3, 8th

A noteworthy fact about that Season 3 performance by matdav: He started out the season 7-0 (the first to do so -- only two others have ever equaled that start, and no one has done better) only to lose his next two games and fall into a three-way tie for first ... then lose both games of his playoff to miss out on promotion.

Here is Jaybirdy's league record:

Season 8: Gold Tier, Mothership Division, T-1st
Season 7: Platinum Tier, T-9th
Season 6: Platinum Tier, T-6th
Season 5: Gold Tier, Dreadnaught Division, T-2nd
Season 4: Platinum Tier, 7th
Season 3: Division 2, T-1st
Season 2: Division 2, 3rd

So Jaybirdy has a love/hate relationship with the Platinum Tier: He loves to be there, but hates to stay.

The really crazy thing coming out of the Mothership Division is the relegation picture. There is a seven-way tie for the third relegation spot. Seven! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Aweberman wrote:
And at the risk of over-spamming this thread, let me also let everybody know that I anticipate the structure of at least the Silver and Bronze Tier Championships to be in place for me to launch them tomorrow morning.

I think I will make a new thread for the Championships and link them here.
I was wrong; it's going to be at least another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My magic number reached zero in 2019.Microbadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I play dead CCGs
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I voted for Gambits. I get the complaints that it increases the luck factor, but I think it also increases the skill factor -- thus, while there are a few more games that are blowouts from turn one ("Look, ma, I bought Brain World before shuffling!") I think there are also a higher percentage of the remaining games that are decided by play decisions.
Bought Gambits yesterday, and agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'm ready for the Silver Tier Championship to begin.

As detailed in the league rules, the top two players from each division and two wild cards with the next best records qualify for the tournament. Due to the season-end records, I was able to expand this a little bit to include 10 players instead of 8. This means that 4 players have to engage in a extra game to get to the championship; these are the 4 players that had records of 7-4.

The entrants are:

bluehiker (10-1, Cutter, 1st)
Cylon (8-3, Frigate, T-1st)
Darklighter (8-3, Frigate, T-1st)
Mortex (8-3, Frigate, T-1st)
Nimral (8-3, Ram, 1st)
mepda (8-3, Cutter, 2nd)
nearlygod (7-4, Ram, T-2nd)
Vidarrr (7-4, Ram, T-2nd)
cfflchamp (7-4, Cutter, T-3rd)
Mechaniac (7-4, Cutter, T-3rd)

Prize support is as listed in the first post of your division thread, minus the playmat (which was claimed by the Platinum Tier Champion).

If you are playing in the tournament -- or simply wish to follow it -- here's the link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1360671/bgg-star-realms-lea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I will try to start the Bronze Tier Championship tomorrow, so be on the lookout. It will include everybody who finished in the top three of each division in the tier, which includes multi-way ties in three of the divisions; everybody who tied will be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Bronze Tier Championship is ready to begin.

As detailed in the league rules, the top three players from each division qualify for the tournament. Since there was a five-way tie in the Fighter Division for third place, a four-way tie in Pod, and a three-way tie in Shuttle, all of those players will have to negotiate some play-in games to get into the tournament.

The entrants are:

TheCutter (9-2, Pod, 1st)
DADDYO (9-2, Shuttle, 1st)
FrUnitSeven (8-3, Bot, 1st)
taalmod (8-3, Fighter, T-1st)
John (8-3, Fighter, T-1st)
firdammon (8-3, Shuttle, 2nd)
geneinkc (8-3, Pod, 2nd)
suzanne (8-3, Bot, T-2nd)
Janus (8-3, Bot, T-2nd)

And all the third-place players:

From Fighter (6-5): tiggers, GoesToXI, Kengi, wrrlykam, McHippY
From Pod (6-5): jules, CatPhish, GoGo, Messire
From Shuttle (7-4): DLRFirefly, GingerMonkey, Evan

Prize support is as listed in the first post of your division thread, minus the playmat (which was claimed by the Platinum Tier Champion) and whatever is claimed by the forthcoming Gold and Silver Tier Champions.

If you are playing in the tournament -- or simply wish to follow it -- subscribe to this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1361800/bgg-star-realms-lea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Dreadnaught Division in the Gold Tier is the ninth division to finish, and Dorvan is the champion with a record of 10-1, four games clear of second place -- which marks the largest margin of victory we've seen in a division in the history of the league.

Dorvan is no stranger to success. Here is his league record:

Season 8: Gold Tier, Dreadnaught Division, 1st
Season 7: Platinum Tier, T-9th
Season 6: Platinum Tier, T-2nd
Season 5: Platinum Tier, T-5th
Season 4: Platinum Tier, T-3rd
Season 3: Division 1, T-4th
Season 2: Division 1, 1st
Season 1: Division 1, 1st

If nothing else, his performance this season shows that his performance last season was an aberration.

We have three of our players set for the Gold Tier Championship, and must await the outcome of the six-way tie for second place in order to begin it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: LudologistMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Gaming with Mom is Awesome
UPDATE on yesterdays glitch:

From the StarRealms facebook page:

Star Realms
8 Std. ·
Some people are still experiencing games that are stuck. We are sorry to say that these games are irreparable. They will end within a day or two. We are very sorry for the issues, and we have taken measures to prevent this from happening in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Silver Tier Championship has concluded and Darklighter is the champion! Darklighter was part of the three-way tie for first place in the Frigate Division (which still has one game outstanding, which is why I haven't posted about it here yet), then battled his way through the tournament to pick up the win. Congratulations!

Here is the final bracket, for anybody who's interested:

From gallery of Aweberman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [29] |