Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing this sexy game with the 2nd edition rules (downloaded from BGG) and I have a few, essential questions:

1. Is the first move or interception in the campaign phase also free (i.e. no card need be discarded) in the scenario starting years? You usually use this free movement in the first campaign round. Should it thus be assumed used when starting the game in, for example, the third round of the 1805 campaign phase?

2. Resolving battles. Do the players put the battle cards face down (attacker first - defender second) and then reveal their cards simultanously OR do you play your cards face up (which gives the defender a chance to respond accordingly)?

3. Fog of war. Does this card cancel all previously played battle cards or does it cancel the possibility to further play cards. Or both? It seems (assuming battle cards are played in turn and face up) that when Fog of War is played by the attacker, the defender cannot play any battle cards, but when played by the defender, the attacker effectively looses all the battle cards he already put down - which can create a critical difference between the number of cards in the hands of the players.

4. Sea move. Is the sea move taken instead of a normal move in the campaign round or in addition to it? And does it cost a (dis)card?

5. It´s not possible to withdraw from an interception, but can you intercept a withdrawing army?

6. When playing the Continental System card, sea moves becomes an option for the Coalition player for the rest of the game. True?

7. In the pdf with the new card changes (downloaded from Consimworld at http://www.dobeash.com/games/aonv2changes.pdf), the Continental System card also states "...but only if Britain is at this time the only major Coalition member." This refers only to the placing of the second insurrection card and the English Gold card in the discard pile, not to sea move availability. True?

8. And is playing the Continental System card when Britain is the only major Coalition member then the only way to place the second insurrection card and English Gold in the discard pile?

Hope you´ll find the time to answer these questions. The game seems really promising.

Sincerely

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simombo wrote:
Just started playing this sexy game with the 2nd edition rules (downloaded from BGG) and I have a few, essential questions:

1. Is the first move or interception in the campaign phase also free (i.e. no card need be discarded) in the scenario starting years? You usually use this free movement in the first campaign round. Should it thus be assumed used when starting the game in, for example, the third round of the 1805 campaign phase?

Yes, see the example of play in the scenario book
Quote:

2. Resolving battles. Do the players put the battle cards face down (attacker first - defender second) and then reveal their cards simultanously OR do you play your cards face up (which gives the defender a chance to respond accordingly)?

As it says attacker plays first, I've always assumed face up. otherwise, what would be the point?
Quote:

3. Fog of war. Does this card cancel all previously played battle cards or does it cancel the possibility to further play cards. Or both? It seems (assuming battle cards are played in turn and face up) that when Fog of War is played by the attacker, the defender cannot play any battle cards, but when played by the defender, the attacker effectively looses all the battle cards he already put down - which can create a critical difference between the number of cards in the hands of the players.

Both. Again this is dicussed in the example of play in the scenario book.

Quote:

4. Sea move. Is the sea move taken instead of a normal move in the campaign round or in addition to it? And does it cost a (dis)card?

Instead of, and yes it does I believe.

Quote:

5. It´s not possible to withdraw from an interception, but can you intercept a withdrawing army?

I think so, but am not sure

Quote:

6. When playing the Continental System card, sea moves becomes an option for the Coalition player for the rest of the game. True?

Yes
Quote:

7. In the pdf with the new card changes (downloaded from Consimworld at http://www.dobeash.com/games/aonv2changes.pdf), the Continental System card also states "...but only if Britain is at this time the only major Coalition member." This refers only to the placing of the second insurrection card and the English Gold card in the discard pile, not to sea move availability. True?

Pretty sure this a requirement to play the card at all.

Quote:

8. And is playing the Continental System card when Britain is the only major Coalition member then the only way to place the second insurrection card and English Gold in the discard pile?

Yes it is. But again, see my answer to #6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
simombo wrote:

Yes.

Quote:

Face up.

Quote:

Both.

Quote:

Instead and yes it costs a discard (unless first move of the campaign).

Quote:

No you can't as only the non-active player can withdraw or intercept (ignoring the possibility to counter-intercept)

Quote:

False. Britannia gives the Coalition player sea move capability.

Quote:

Right (but see 6 above)

Quote:

Right.

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm pretty good! Though I got confused, as did the poster, about Britannia vs. Continental System. That's why it didn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Hey, I'm pretty good! Though I got confused, as did the poster, about Britannia vs. Continental System. That's why it didn't make sense.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the conditions that make Britannia automatically effective (without the need for the card to be played) are the same conditions that are required in order for CS to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so too. I had been reading a LOT of rule clarifications that night. I guess thats how the mind works. Getting the grip on this game has brought out whole new sides in me.

Sorry about the confusion.

Now, if I may draw your attention to this thread

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/68165

where yet another question needs answering.

Thanks for the marvelous speed of your responses, mr. Verlaque. You must be sitting in front of a computer a lot!

Cheerio

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.