Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a "wargame," (and having been reading the posts around here since I came on the scene, I use that term VERY loosely). I'm thinking of something like "Chess on steroids."
Why not just chess? Well, I'm looking for a bit more theme to hook my friend on and I don't want him to have to learn a hundred new fancy moves for special units. Fantasy games would be best, but at this point I'm game for anything...

I really like Sergeants on the East Front and Memoir '44, And those are the speeds of game that I am looking for. But the dual rolling thing in Sergeants kills the PBEM capability. I could make a variant and goof around with it, but why go to all that work if there's something out there that suits my needs...

Here's some ideas for requirements, again just ideas, feel free to think outside the box (shoot, I could ever go for card style games too)

-Maps: hexes, squares, or areas (not point to point) but something where I can email my friend and say, "unit x moves to square/hex/area A14"
-I can teach him ZOC and LOS and all that stuff,
-I want to be able to send him a email that gives basic info, what unit(s) moved, from where, to where, attacked whom, and the result of any die rolls needed. He has a computer, but he's on dial-up and figuring out VASSAL or Cyberbox without me there might kill the game without ever getting it off the ground.
-Dice: I'd like it to be some thing that either doesn't need dice at all, or just needs simple dice rolls that can be taken care of on one person's turn.

I've also looked at Big Little Games' materials and the idea for Skirmish sounds like what I'm looking for. Has anybody (besides a game designer with a non-disclosure paper) seen Skirmish in action and can tell me about it? Or something that is similar to Skirmish?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6267
http://www.biglittlegames.com/skirmish.php the picture at the bottom has two numbers per counter, movement and ??? (range, power. strength, defense, what?)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make any recommendation, but note that "point to point" movement is actually easy to describe. In a lot of games, each point is named.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Boney at Marengo is your game. Few moves per player turn and easy to email. No dice either.

Have a look - might be just what you are looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Field Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your "Chess on steroids" description, Lionheart or Feudal might be more what you're looking for. For a little more war, Triplanetary and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space are pretty easy places to start.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.