Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaming group consists of me (39 yr old bloke) 30 yr old women, 11 yr old girl and sometimes 9 and 7 year old boys.

for people who have played both games which game out of these two should be next on my list?

Thanks (feel free to vote on what you think is just the better game for replayability)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowledge of their gaming ability. I'd suggest Alhambra.

Keythedral is a good game but it's on the 'heavier' side of things.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
gaming group consists of me (39 yr old bloke) 30 yr old women, 11 yr old girl and sometimes 9 and 7 year old boys.

for people who have played both games which game out of these two should be next on my list?

Thanks (feel free to vote on what you think is just the better game for replayability)

How many 30 yr old women ?

I only ask as Alhambra can tend to have too many players once you get beyond 4.

If your response is "It's normally just the three of us", then I'd go with Keythedral.

Keythedral is a touch "heavier", but not really in a rules sense, more in a "strategy & screwage" sense. The two boys will understand how to play, but could make some mistakes that will make it tough for them to win.

However, there's a lot more luck in Alhambra, especially with 5 players (but that comes with a lot of downtime).

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, just the one 30 year old woman.
gaming ability of most of the group (bar one of the boys) is very good. they have play games that were aimed at older people.

its mainly just the 3 of us but i do like games that i can involve the lads in as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple. Get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James is correct. Alhambra is a good beginners game that will blend itself well with your family. It has easy rules, teaches light strategy, and interesting enough to grab anyone's attention for the hour (even guests.) There's nothing like trying to teach someone a game they already despise after one look (not saying Keythedral is a ugly game.) Keythedral can be a game you pick up later if your family holds interest in gaming. Also, leave Keythedral out for when your family gets tired of Alhambra. laugh

solove wrote:
Without knowledge of their gaming ability. I'd suggest Alhambra.

Keythedral is a good game but it's on the 'heavier' side of things.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either would work fine, but it depends how much of a gaming family you have.

I think Alhambra is more of a "gateway game" / Family Game.

If you guys have been gaming for a while then don't be afraid of Keythedral.

Not sure I helped at all
Best of luck

JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they do like their games (okay so i do press gang abit) but the main problem I have had with games is when they have gone on for too long. attention span can be a problem with the lads.

i take all suggestions seriously, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the majority of comments here, both are good games though I prefer Keythedral. Alhambra is lighter and costs less than Keythedral, both are good with just 3-4 players, no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about the heaviness of Keythedral. It isn't that complex.

But some groups don't like the overt nastiness of the game. Your actions will pretty much all have a component of hurting another player in addition to the usual furtherance of your own position. Alhambra is not like that.

I don't mind this and in fact don't expect to ever play Alhambra again and think Keythedral is a fine fine game. But some might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Keythedral is the far better game. The rules are kinda chunky, but once you are through them, its the better, more fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont tell anyone but the nastiness factor has just pulled me back in after i was veering away from Keythedral angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keythedral, alhambra simply doesnt play well with too many players.

keythedral is one of my groups favorite games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'll usually be playing with five, then Keythedral. If you'll usually be playing with three, then Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.