Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Ligabue
Italy
Modena
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my review. You could also find it both in English and Italian on my blog:
http://liga3m.blogspot.com/2006/11/review-legie.html#links

General Description

Legie is a game for two in which the players contend for the victory alternating in placing pieces on a grid, in this way often also removing one or more opponent's pieces, in order to be the first one to have all 11 own pieces on the map. Although the theme is emphasized at graphical level, both in pieces and in lands tiles, Legie re-enters totally in the category of abstract games.

The map is composed by 4 squared tiles 3x3, rappresenting waters, plains, mountains, castles and forests: in the game base the type of every square is pure decorative while it becomes meaningful in the advanced game. The tiles are assembled at random and have lands in various positions and composition on two sides: in this way the possible combinations are indeed many (to the lovers of statistics the not difficult task to compute!) and the map is therefore always various.

Every player possesses a set of 11 pieces: two warriors (sword), two knights (two swords), one scout (sword and shield), a general (two swords and one shield), one tower (one sword and inamovibile), one catapult (one arrow and inamovibile), an archer (one arrow) and a King. The swords indicate the power in attack, the shield improve the defense, the arrows allow attacks at a distance.

The basic Game

During the turn the player must place on the map, in one free case, just a piece. It is then necessary to see if everyone of adjacent opposing pieces (orthogonally) must be removed: that happens when the number of adjacent opposing swords exceeds the number of shields of the attacked piece by two or more. When you remove an opponent piece you have to replace it in the map with the flag (that will prevent therefore to place in that case other pieces until the flag is moved elsewhere). Pieces removed from the game immediately become available for the opponent already in its sequqnt turn.

The interesting aspect of this game is just this: a pure offensive strategy, aimed in removing opposing pieces turn after turn, not always rewards because therefore offers the possibility to the opponent to place again in map strong pieces (above all the king and the archer) making attacks still more effective. It is necessary therefore to balance attack and defense, trying to protect own weak pieces and being away from strong pieces of the opponent. Particularly important for the creation of a good defense are the tower and the catapult, since once in map they cannot being removed from the adversary. The archer (like the catapult) allows to eliminate an opponent piece whenever on the map, unless it has a shield, and is therefore a lot important. The more frightening piece is the king who eliminates all adjacent opposing pieces.

The game soon becomes therefore one challenge to acquire an advantage (one or two pieces) on the adversary and then to maintain defending own weak counters and castling.

The basic game is amusing but indeed a lot much abstract; the advance rules (lands) give instead greater variety to the games.

Advanced game

In the advanced game there are 4 types of land other than plains, everyone with its peculiarities. The forest protect from the arrows (archers and catapults) but at the same time denies the possibility to hurl arrows: optimal therefore for warriors (a sword) and knights (two swords) that otherwise would be exposed to the enemy fire. The mountain is simply impassable for inamovible pieces (towers and catapults). The castle confers a shield (and therefore also the immunity to the attacks with the arrows) to who does not possess already one. The water is impassable for all pieces that have two different icons (practically only warriors, knights, archers and kings could go there).

Conclusions

For me Legie is a nice and intriguing game: once you learn the powers of pieces and their various effectiveness in the basic game I suggest to go quickly to the advanced game where the characteristics of the land force to use a more complex strategy. Played without excessive thoughts rarely take more than half hour. The game seemed to me not repetitive and seem not a particular advantage/disvantage for the starting player. The materials are good and the graphic is simple but effective. On the whole sure a game that it is worth, seen also the price not elevated: it has hit me in particular for the fact that playing for placing all 11 own counters and not only eliminating enemy pieces, the strategy to adopt is indeed particular and originates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Ligabue
Italy
Modena
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some one just point me I have made a mistake in my review: the counter are 10 for each player and not 11: 2 warriors + 2 knights + 1 archer + 1 catapult + 1 tower + 1 general + 1 scout + 1 king is 10 and not 11

I'm sorry for that mistake
Liga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the review. I have been interested in this game since first hearing about it. I just hope it becomes available in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kucera
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Sexy Amy wrote:
I just hope it becomes available in the US.

We are looking for some way of delivery to the US with guaranteed delivery time. (Unfortunately Czech Post doesn't guarantee reasonable delivery time for packages to non-European countries.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
eccellente
excellent straight to the point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.