Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: Game Hiding, Option 12 -- Inside the Sump Hole rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Inside the Sump Pump Hole
    Anyone willing to read this last write-up, the one on hiding games in the sump, should consider seeking professional help or at least calling an addiction hotline before continuing. But, if that door has already swung shut, let’s consider the deepest, darkest part of your house as the hiding-place-of-last-resort for the truly needy game owner.

Pros:
1. No one but no one except the DEA is going to consider going into your sump to look for contraband, and when they pull out a board game your spouse will be relieved it’s not meth.
2. Although not terribly wide most sumps are remarkably deep and games can be stacked. More storage space than you might think.
Cons:
1. Spiders.
2. Sump storage is going to require waterproof containers, preferably weighted to keep the games well-hidden under the water level. Plan your supplies and expenses accordingly.
3. Removal of games from waterproof containers requires special care to ensure that they are not damaged by water.
4. Access is severely limited, and requires careful cleanup afterwards to ensure your location is not discovered.
5. Water coming out of the sump hole may be full of dangerous molds, mildews and fungloids, and can carry severe bacterial diseases.
6. Having a pump installed instead of games may prove valuable if it rains – consider your priorities before using this option, although if you’ve read this far down you’ve likely already done that.

The sump in my house stayed all but completely dry for the first ten years that we owned the house. The only exceptions were hurricanes Floyd and Isabel. So although the sump hole sounds like a completely ridiculous proposition it may have some merit given your house’s construction. And your personal level of desperation.

Fin.

I'd like to thank you all for the kind words in response to my posts. For a while there I was clogging up the front page and apologize for anyone's message that got rolled off because of it. Please repost so that your message can get the attention it deserves, and I promise not to bother you all for a bit.

I got some great responses to the threads, and remarkably got some others via my public email indicating that, although I meant this tongue-in-cheek, quite a few of you are actively hiding games in some truly curious places. I would like to extend final bits of advice to three people who are "gaming on the down-low" --

1. Tina, at some point you're going to have to come clean with him. I don't think it's as big an issue as you think.
2. DG, you've got a clever spot, but in my opinion your employer is eventually going to find them there. You may want to consider paying the price for a storage place. Getting them out may be your biggest issue.
3. Blank-name-guy, collecting each printing is gonna kill you. Pick a couple of favorites and go after them, and just get one of the rest.

OCD Hotline: 1-800-639-7462

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I made a geeklist with all the posts here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17530

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed reading these posts because I've found them entertaining, but I could never totally tell if you were serious or not. I guess thats part of the joke. If you were serious, you need to see a relationship counselor because your wife has you by the short hairs in ways unhealthy for a man. If you were joking the whole time, thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.