Popular Tags: geekmod [+] [View All]
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same thing. Once, an image got approved twice for two seperate games; I approved it for the right one and declined it for the wrong one. The only things people seem to decline images for are corruption (obviously damaged images) and bad rotation. Occasionally for blurriness/Cropping, and for wrong game if they bother to check/know what they're talking about. Never, Ever, Size. Most of my false declinations are because I thought the image was too large (3000x3000 for some tiles on a rack? C'mon.)

It's to the point that I just skip images I think are bad, that way I don't contribute to its inclusion, but I don't get a mark on my record because other people aren't paying attention.

I don't know how you'd solve this matter though, except maybe be harsher on bad choices? but that could be problematic, too. I dunno. It's a tough system to get honed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Not everything is approved. Check your geekmod history.

Of all things geekmodded by me:
9.9% of pictures were declined;
13.9% of reviews were declined;
8.7% of session reports were declined;
6.5% of website data suggestions were declined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For one thing, the guidelines for images specifically enjoin Geekmods to leniency; I know I kind of extend that to the rest of the things. Though I'm tougher than most on reviews and sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't approve anything.

I want to keep other people from earning GeekGold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there is a LOT getting through that we could do without. Yes, almost everything could benefit the site, but there does have to be a limit. I mean, there were images uploaded for a newly entered game yesterday, that included a decent shot of the box cover. It was approved and made the rep image. Then another shot of said cover was there waiting to be modded with the caption of "Representative Image". It was basically identical and I declined it. Next time I went to mod Data, there it was asking to become the rep. And all that was different was that it was about 15% zoomed in.

I know on another thread they were talking about trying to get a way to "archive" images that were not as relevant as other images. I think that this would help make this a better site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quantumplation wrote:
No, it is not what I care about most, but there is no point in me declining an image that will absolutely get approved at the risk of seeming like I decline images heedlessly.

Or just dissaprove the images you think are bad and actually do the job you volunteer to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Note that there is a second hurdle for content to overcome if it is to be read -- no thumbs likely means no reads.

On photos I do tend to be lenient. What concerns me the most with reviews and sessions is that often they are approved when they should be rejected and encouraged to revise and resubmit. In my opinion, much of what gets submitted is pretty good, but with a bit of review comments and rewrite could be very good or downright excellent. You do a disservice to the publisher if you let typos and grammar mistakes through.

I've asked several times when the submitter gets your comments, and no one has provided an answer (four categories: 1-I decline and its declined, 2-I decline and it's accepted, 3-I accept and it's declined, and 4-I accept and it's accepted.) I'd still like an answer to each of those four scenarios.

I think there needs to be a change to the mod interface for Sessions and Reviews. I recommend that there is a button called "Revise & Resubmit" with a big text box after it so that people can take the time to really explain where the submission fell short, and how to make it better. I'd also recommend that the geek gold award be tied to radio buttons or an entry field so that people don't just give out the 3gg reward.

I think that the modders need to do better. I try to fill that explanation field when I decline, and it always includes the words "Revise and Resubmit." Unfortunately the field isn't long enough on a regular basis.

People get better when you give them honest feedback in a positive, actionable format.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great suggestion Sag. I second that wholeheartedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can assure you not *everything* gets approved.

My picture of a goofy fat man (not me) holding Lost Cities cards in homage of the pic "Lost in Lost Cities" was deemed 1) Too similar, 2) Irrelevant, and 3) Offensive. Fat people are offensive to someone.

1) I allow the picture is irrelevant. But so is any picture of someone holding a game card/pieces. Just happens in this case it wasn't a pretty girl. Unfair, but that's how the world works. I won't call the ACLU.

2) I allow the picture was too similar. That was the point . . . parody. But the original IS much more pleasant to look at.

3) But offensive?! Someone out there has some issues they need to work out. laugh

The original: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/111393

The homage: BANNED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    ......... I think there needs to be a change to the mod interface for Sessions and Reviews. I recommend that there is a button called "Revise & Resubmit" with a big text box after it so that people can take the time to really explain where the submission fell short, and how to make it better...........

People get better when you give them honest feedback in a positive, actionable format.

Hellz yeah. I completely agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is totally lame. I'm being serious here. That would hav pissed me off.

I've had images rejected before when I KNOW they should be in there. I mean, I can feel it in my bones as an objective truth. I guarantee that they got rejected because people that didn't know anything about the game rated them as "too similar" though they clearly showed different unit types.

Having your picture rejected seems similar to me. Someone that does not understand the humor of parodying a popular picture rejects it...

Anyway, I'm just going off on tangents now. I'll shut up.

RKFade wrote:
I can assure you not *everything* gets approved.

My picture of a goofy fat man (not me) holding Lost Cities cards in homage of the pic "Lost in Lost Cities" was deemed 1) Too similar, 2) Irrelevant, and 3) Offensive. Fat people are offensive to someone.

1) I allow the picture is irrelevant. But so is any picture of someone holding a game card/pieces. Just happens in this case it wasn't a pretty girl. Unfair, but that's how the world works. I won't call the ACLU.

2) I allow the picture was too similar. That was the point . . . parody. But the original IS much more pleasant to look at.

3) But offensive?! Someone out there has some issues they need to work out. laugh

The original: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/111393

The homage: BANNED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I think there needs to be a change to the mod interface for Sessions and Reviews. I recommend that there is a button called "Revise & Resubmit" with a big text box after it so that people can take the time to really explain where the submission fell short, and how to make it better. I'd also recommend that the geek gold award be tied to radio buttons or an entry field so that people don't just give out the 3gg reward.

I think that the modders need to do better. I try to fill that explanation field when I decline, and it always includes the words "Revise and Resubmit." Unfortunately the field isn't long enough on a regular basis.

Absolutely! I stopped GeekModding a couple months ago partially because I wasn't sure my comments were being read by submitters. Every time I declined an article, I would be sure to mention how the article could be improved and encourage a resubmission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I think there needs to be a change to the mod interface for Sessions and Reviews. I recommend that there is a button called "Revise & Resubmit" with a big text box after it so that people can take the time to really explain where the submission fell short, and how to make it better.

I already generally advise to revise and resubmit when I decline a session report or review, but the text box is way too small to explain what should be revised. Therefore, I support this suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cynic in me says that the large majority of things get approved because most people will blindly approve things because that guarantees them the best GeekGold return for modding. If you approve everything then you're likely to be right 9 times out of 10 and get your .09 GeekGold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
I think there needs to be a change to the mod interface for Sessions and Reviews. I recommend that there is a button called "Revise & Resubmit" with a big text box after it so that people can take the time to really explain where the submission fell short, and how to make it better.

I already generally advise to revise and resubmit when I decline a session report or review, but the text box is way too small to explain what should be revised. Therefore, I support this suggestion.

Might also be nice to allow the submitter to resubmit with an explanation of why the rejection was incorrect - I know I recently had extreme close ups of a section of the Q-Jet board rejected because of glare/focus issues where these are how the board is actually printed ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped modding for a couple of the reasons mentioned above - two comments that I'd make is that I'd like to see what other people have voted. Sometimes I saw a picture that was definitely either out of focus, bad glare or irrelevant but I just knew that it'd get approved. Seeing what other people think might be helpful. In light of that - maybe seeing the yea's and nay's would help.

A little while ago there were a whole string of pictures that were > 3Kx3K - out of 6 or so of them only one was declined - people don't even seem to be following the guidelines. But maybe people didn't notice the size - seeing that 10 people had already marked it as too large might alert someone to check that.

That being said I am sure there are people that don't think it's anyone place to say where a picture is good or not - but we are moderating and some pictures are downright bad. I'd like to see a Decline - Terrible Picture option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulBravey wrote:
...the large majority of things get approved because most people will blindly approve things because that guarantees them the best GeekGold return for modding.

I worry about that too. It depends on who is reviewing it at that particular time though. Sometimes there are things I reject because it's CLEARLY bad yet it gets approved. Other times there may be something a little iffy but there are no pictures for the game at that time, I feel in that case it's better to have an ok picture than none at all, yet these often get rejected. I don't get that but I understand the rules and it's all kosher.

I do mod anything that comes up, I don't skip and I don't approve everything. My percentage in only 86%(95% approval/41% rejected) but who cares? I'm rejecting items that get approved anyhow though they shouldn't. I'm just doing my part, good or bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Other times there may be something a little iffy but there are no pictures for the game at that time, I feel in that case it's better to have an ok picture than none at all, yet these often get rejected.

I agree -- someone just put through a bunch of shots of meeples and SoC pieces stacked on each other. Both games have about 275 photos already and those are the ones they choose to get artsy? Besides, they failed to mention that the parts were mixed from two different games, which confused me a bit and I've played both. Some poor noob is going the think he got shorted.

I am much more lenient for a game that has few or no images for the reason you mention above. I think that's why theres a gallery for the chosen game right there on the mod page.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stella M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wonder why people decide to approve images that are clearly too large, have a glare, are blurry or give the 10th example of people playing the game...
I only submit about half of the pictures I take, because I am not satisfied with them (usually they turn out blurry which I couldn't see in the tiny screen of the camera), I'm sure most of my self-labeled 'rejects' would probably be approved anyway and earn me some nice GG, but I just wouldn't feel right about it. Even now, I don't like some of the early pics I uploaded and would love to exchange them for better versions, but with the current system it would just mean adding a duplicate of a sort.

One side question: when I mod the representative images in the data section, they never show up in my GeekMod history... is that normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
bluestarfish wrote:
One side question: when I mod the representative images in the data section, they never show up in my GeekMod history... is that normal?

It seems to be a common concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluestarfish wrote:
I also wonder why people decide to approve images that are clearly too large, have a glare, are blurry or give the 10th example of people playing the game... ?

Most of those I agree should not be approved. However, the 10th example of people playing the game should probably be allowed. My understanding is that pictures of the people playing games is one of the main points of the pictures. It fosters a sense of community and shows people having fun with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stella M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
[Most of those I agree should not be approved. However, the 10th example of people playing the game should probably be allowed. My understanding is that pictures of the people playing games is one of the main points of the pictures. It fosters a sense of community and shows people having fun with games.

Ok, I can agree with this reasoning. And I generally approve such images, but it still bothers me sometimes... ninja

A related pet peeve: the submitting of images of single playing cards instead of groups of cards (e.g. 6 cards in two rows)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was abit miffed by some images that got through for Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers a few weeks back. It looked like someone had dropped the box froma great height and then photographed the results. When one popped up as a suggested representative image I just had to laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm all for being a little more unforgiving in GeekModding. Especially if we can have fewer images like this on the site:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jredd wrote:
I'm all for being a little more unforgiving in GeekModding. Especially if we can have fewer images like this on the site:

That's an amazing picture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.