Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I am looking for:

A board game to play with my dad who just recently started getting that social security check and soon plans on having a bit more time on his hands. I don't get to see him too often maybe ever other month or so but when I do I would like to enjoy my one of my past times with him.

He loves bridge and enjoys Rook along with standard card games. Most of these require at least 4 though and often we can not get 4 folk together that easily.

What I am looking for is a WW2 game, as I know he has a strong interest in this and I think he would be willing to give a game of this nature a try.

He will not have a lot of patience for learning a lot of rules or dealing with fiddly rules. I think once he got the hang of a game he could deal with this but for his first non-monopoly style board game it should be something that I could teach to him pretty easily. In less then 5 minutes ideally.

A nice hex based tactical game would be nice but does not have to be that style. Absolute realism in the representation of units and multi-multi teared tactics are not as important as of ease of learning and ease of play. Though it should not be without tough desision making. My dad is very bright as well as clever and can handle tough desisions. I think he would do better with a game that has few but tough desisions over a game with many that are less consiquential individually.

The length of the game is not a big deal as long as it is pretty simple to pick up while playing through with a nice tempo it can be long.

Also the game can focus on air, ground, sea, or all of the above. My dad would apreciate any and or all these aspects.

I am looking for a way to enjoy boardgames with my dad. Unfortunately for him I hate golf and though we both enjoy the slopes in winter it would be fun to have an indoor activity to spend time together playing while we discuss politics and catch up on things.

Oh and PS, it has to be fun for me as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Memoir '44 might be right up there with what you're looking for. It's simple, contains historical scenarios, is not overly complex.

It's not overly realistic though. All the unit capabilities and terrain modifiers have handy refrence cards so you dont' even have to remember all that much.

Axis & Allies: Pacific or Battle of the Bulge could also fit the bill, but I have less experience with those.

If you're lookuing for something with a bit more depth and realism I'd suggest looking into Columbia Games block wargames, either Rommel in the Desert or any of the 'Front series (EastFront, WestFront, VolgaFront, etc...), these are more involved and truer "wargames' but with rules in the 12-20 page length as opposed to the 20-50 page rules normally found in most hex-and-counter affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the hex and counter category I would suggest Target Arnhem - Across 6 Bridges from Multiman Publishing.

A fun game that has 2 pages of rules, takes 10-15 minutes to learn and costs only $5. You can find more information about the game here:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/IGS/prodta.php

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not tactical, but Target Arnhem - Across 6 Bridges would be a good starting place for the two of you. As a bonus, it only cost $5 (the price of shipping).

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/16162

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical and easy and now shipping. More games coming in the series as well so learn one well and others will be easy to learn.

Las Barricadas on the Spanish Civil War.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/26250

Has Niko graphics which are less standard and more flashy (helpful for the new gamer to lose that dogma).

Also, the ASL Starter Kit is a bit harder but if you want wide spread support on rules and strategy this is an excellent choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I know it's not WWII but I would suggest Command and Colors. I've played both this and M44.

M44 just didn't work for me and if he has an interest in WWII he may find the game to be a poor simulation which may put him of the game. Whereas if he has no idea of ancients he'll have no idea if it's a good simulation or not. Although I think it's a better simulation than M44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two I was going to add are already in (M44 and Target Arnhem).
I would get both of them (one is free -only shipping costs) and the other one I don't think it is too expensive.

The only thing to consider is if your father would consider M44 to toyish. I know my father would despise M44 for the toy factor (actually he does not understand how a grown-up lawyer like me can still play "games"), so maybe it is better to introduce Target Arnhem first.

Axis and Allies is also a good game to think about, if you don't have space or time problems, it can be learned pretty quick and it is fun (although you lose something with only two players).

Also, although it is not a WW2 game, you might consider (or even as a fourth step after M44, TA:A6B and A&A) A House Divided. Probably your father has some interest in the ACW and is a wonderful game that can be learnt in 5-10 minutes (basic rules).

My 0.02 euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question, if £0.02 is worth more than 0.02 Euros and $0.02 thanks to the vicious exchange rate, does that mean that my opinion is worth more than that of a European or an American? Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War (WWI and not hex-grid) is an easy, fast, decision-based wargame.

Quebec 1759 is a small fast Block game.

I also think the AH classics: Waterloo, Bulge, and Stalingrad are excellent for the thoughtful wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For 5 minutes training, I woud say Axis & Allies, indeed. But it's a boardgame more than a true WWII wargame. I would then suggest to wait for the brand new "A&A - Battle of the Bulge" version of this game, which seems quite more meaty than the original.
If he likes the basic principles of such a light wargame, and is now ready to invest a little bit more (reasonable) time, I would then definitely encourage you to play Europe Engulfed. If he is really interested in WWII, this one is the right stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
The rules are quick to learn, but it might take a couple hours to play. Stalingrad by Avalon-Hill is an old classic on Hitler's invasion of Russia. Easy to learn, hex-based, big theater of action, several German strategies, dice can be a factor, especially early on when Germans have to take a few lower odds attack chances. Strictly ground war, so it doesn't have the additional complexities of air and naval action. This is an excellent beginner game.

If you branch into non-wargames, my 80 year old father loved learning and can't get enough of playing two railroad games (Ticket to Ride (45 minutes) and Empire Builder (2-3 hours). We play every time we get together, and we play TtR against each other on line, too. Plus, TtR has a pc version that Dad plays solo every day.

But, back to WWII, Avalon-Hill Stalingrad is an excellent entry level WWII game and one that I've taught to several wargame novices, and they caught on very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I know it's not WWII but I would suggest Ticket to Ride Europe.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! Do NOT buy Ticket to Ride - it is a pile of crap. It's a friggin children's game!

If you're looking for light WW2 action I'd go with Shifting Sands

Play the entire North African campaign in a couple of hours. The game can easily be taught in 10 minutes. The game is heavily thematic, so any WWII buff will love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riledguy based on the criteria you've laid out I would recommend Memoir '44. If your dad really enjoys Memoir '44 (one of the easier-to-learn WWII games available), then you can always work your way towards more complex games later on.

Why not read the rules for Memoir '44 and see if the game fits your criteria? They are easy to read (and understand), and can be downloaded directly from the Days of Wonder website at:
http://www.memoir44.com/index.php/?t=content&sub=rules&game=...

Just my 2 cents. Good gaming!

[Edit: Corrected typo.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I would then definitely encourage you to play Europe Engulfed

This is a game you and your dad would keep for years and years. You can start off with Blitzkrieg rule set, which is intended for beginners and young players. Then you can move on to the regular rule set. There are also advanced rules for a heavier game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:

I think you missed the sarcasm.

blush I'll read the entire post next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Con Man wrote:
Quote:
I would then definitely encourage you to play Europe Engulfed

This is a game you and your dad would keep for years and years. You can start off with Blitzkrieg rule set, which is intended for beginners and young players. Then you can move on to the regular rule set. There are also advanced rules for a heavier game.

I agree, Europe Engulfed is awesome. It will be reprinted by GMT at the end of the year if memory serves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
thirts wrote:
I know it's not WWII but I would suggest Command and Colors. I've played both this and M44.

M44 just didn't work for me and if he has an interest in WWII he may find the game to be a poor simulation which may put him of the game. Whereas if he has no idea of ancients he'll have no idea if it's a good simulation or not. Although I think it's a better simulation than M44

I know it's not WWII but I would suggest Ticket to Ride Europe. I've played both this and M44.

M44 just didn't work for me and if he has an interest in WWII he may find the game to be a poor simulation which may put him of the game. Whereas if he has no idea of riding trains in Europe he'll have no idea if it's a good simulation or not. Although I think it's a better simulation than M44

Priceless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the WWII wargames rated seven or higher, with less than a three complexity:

Bitter Woods (4th Edition) I haven't played this one, but I've heard good things about it.

Rise of the Luftwaffe and Zero! These games look good and cover the air war. Each one has an add-on, second game.

Memoir '44. This one has been recommended by most everyone.

World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. This is a strategic game covering WWII in Europe. Simply to learn and play, this would be my recommendation.
==========================================================================

You might also be interested in the Sergeants series, by Lost Battalion games. These are a series of very tactical games (one counter equals one man). The first game in the series is Sergeants! on the Eastern Front, which covers Russian and German forces. It comes with four pages of rules, one map, one scenario and over 100 die-cut counters. The next game is Sergeants! in the Sand, which covers British and Italian troops. It is a stand alone game with the same four pages of rules. The next two in the series are modules, rather than stand alone games. Sergeants! Expansion adds American and French troops, plus vehicles and other goodies. Sergeants! Scenario book 1 adds more maps and scenarios. You can also download maps and scenarios from lostbattalion.com.

The best part about all this is the fact that it is so cheap. All four games/modules only run $44. With that, plus what you can download, you get 43 scenarios, 10 maps, the forces needed to fight with six different nationalities, simple rules and a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. It would seem that both Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges and Memoir '44 got the most recommendations. Both are at pretty decent price points especially Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges be foolish not to try this one. Both seem like they would be a good start though. Some of the other recommendations were good but seemed like maybe more intermediate or they were a bit more expensive then I would be wanting to spend on a something he may not be into.

Thanks for the info and advice all.

I will get these and hopefully can pull my dad a bit into the world of board gaming from that of traditional card gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
generalpf wrote:
thirts wrote:

I know it's not WWII but I would suggest Ticket to Ride Europe. I've played both this and M44.

M44 just didn't work for me and if he has an interest in WWII he may find the game to be a poor simulation which may put him of the game. Whereas if he has no idea of riding trains in Europe he'll have no idea if it's a good simulation or not. Although I think it's a better simulation than M44

I was trying to be helpful. I thought the the reasonably inteligent would appreciate my thoughst, the stupid wouldn't understand but wouldn't care and the truely brain dead would write a sacastic comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.