Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the flood of BoardGameGeek images being submitted over the past few months, I began to wonder if there's isn't a better solution for the images than the one that BoardGameGeek currently uses: one, large image "folder". For the more popular games, the number of images uploaded has become quite staggering, and as a result navigating through a game's images can be quite a time consuming task. If you consider a first-time BoardGameGeek visitor's experience while trying to research Carcassonne (to use a popular game as an example), he or she would discover 275 (as of this writing) images to peruse. Another relevant example is War of the Ring (First Edition), where a large number of the game's images depict hand-painted miniatures. Unfortunately, these painted miniatures do not actually come as part of the game, straight out-of-the-box.

This leads me to my suggestion, which is two-fold.

Suggestion #1: Organize a game's images into categories. If we look at a game's forums, we notice a well-organized collection of data sorted by: Reviews, Sessions, General, Rules, Strategy, Variants, News, et cetera. We should use a similar technique for the images. Thus, the images might be organized by: Original Components, Modified Components, Games in Progress, and Fun (or Miscellaneous).

Suggestion #2: When images are uploaded, require that a description be provided for each image. This helps in two ways. (a) Image modders have a reference point when deciding to approve/decline a particular image. (b) First-time BoardGameGeek visitors can peruse images and better understand the images that they are viewing.

Fellow BoardGameGeek-ers, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of categories. It would make it easier to mod too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent ideas. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all for these ideas. However, similar suggestions have come and gone before with nothing done about them. Here's to hoping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really needed! Maybe games with less than 10-50 images could use the current system, but when more images are submitted different folders could be used. I think especially photos with stuff that does not come with the game should be separated from the other images to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
Nice. I was looking a Dune the boardgame and had a really hard time finding out which boards were home made and which were the real deal.

Would be a nice fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of categories is a fantastic idea. That, combined with the idea someone posted of images getting awarded 0-1 or 0-2 geekgold would really help clean up the currently mess filled image folders all over bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olaha wrote:
This is really needed! Maybe games with less than 10-50 images could use the current system, but when more images are submitted different folders could be used.

The problem with this is that when the game reaches 50 images, someone will have to go through it and move the images into the proper folders. They may put images into a folder that the submitter would not agree with. If this does somehow become implemented, it would have to be done right from the start.

The other issue is that someone would have to go through all of the current games (over 25,000, I think) and arange them as well. I wouldn't want to be the one who would have to do something like Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be done with the power of GeekMod.... just need a good way to present it to the modders.

I was thinking some kind of real time system where the system presents a game image and the modders categorize it.

I just need a set of categories. Oh, and images can belong to several categories (i.e tags) instead of using the folder paradigm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of folders (or tags whatever) to sort through.

I'd like to see as categories: individual components, collected "these are all the parts that come in the box" grouped shots, customized bits, games in action, packaging, and other odds and ends. Of course, with better names for all the types =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Components
Box
Customized
Play
Misc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
BaSL wrote:
Components
Box
Customized
Play
Misc.

Don't forget "cats". The current system sorts the game images on the number "recommends", so cat pictures are always near the top of the list (as they should be). I would hate to lose the ability to quickly access cat pictures.

Also, people posting cat pictures should be rewarded 10GG instead of one.

Oh yeah, don't forget the "cleavage" category too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right! Cats!

(when all is filed away nicely, we can delete all cat-folders all at once! devil )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a folder that is strictly "Humor" items - ala "Misc Game Accessory". I've seen several really amusing photos on the site that use various game components, but don't strictly "belong" to a given game's collection.

Similarly, it might also be useful to set up homes for collections of images from various conventions (e.g., "Essen '06") that are more germaine to the convention itself than to any one particular game. Also a home for other common image subjects - "Pets & Games", "Holiday Photos (Xmas, Halloween)", or "Meeples in the Wild".

Just some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
What would be very nice is a hidden categroy for each game that could be used for uploading images for Reviews, Session Reports and even miscellaneous Forum Articles.

Pictures really spice up a review or session reports and BGG would do well to facilitate uploading images for these purposes.

Currently, Review and Session authors must either:
1) use an external picture hosting solution
2) use their personal webspace
3) try to sneak the images through moderation by posting them as a game images.

The problem with #1 is that external image links can exceed their bandwidth or be deleted for some reason and become lost forever.

#2 shares the same problems as #1, and places the responsiblity of backing up and maintaining the images on the uploader, and who may simply lose interest after a few months or years.

#3 is a problem because half a dozen or more pictures of the same board, turn by turn, is not appropriate on the game's page. The images are simply not interesting outside of the context of the Review or Session.

#1 and #2 are currently the 'preferred solution', but as the image links go dead over the years, BGG is left with broken image icons instead of the images themselves.

The PROs and CONs of hosting images for Reviews, Sessions and Forum Articles, as I see it:

PRO: BGG is more interesting and professional without broken image links.

CON: Without moderation, people can abuse picture uploading by posting inappropriate images for inappropriate reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:
Similarly, it might also be useful to set up homes for collections of images from various conventions (e.g., "Essen '06") that are more germaine to the convention itself than to any one particular game.

I agree with this. It shouldn't be too difficult to set up an enrty for a con, it would be similar to either a game entry or else a designer/producers entry. Then people can write up session reports specific to the whole event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.