Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to own a piece of gaming history? I have a copy of this weird item Ghettopoly, and I'm not really a collector (I know I'm in the minority here on bgg) so I don't really have any purpose for it. Its a monopoly clone so I don't play it, but its certainly a rare odd find for a pure collector. You can find tales on the internet about the various lawsuits surrounding the game and different numbers regarding how many of these exist.

What would someone give for this in a trade?

Also, if you want to make some snide comment about the game, please troll elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not offended by it, but the resale value would probably make it better to sell it on ebay and use the money to buy a game you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at that. It looks like it goes from 75-100$ various places on the net. I'll probably look at a few trades here and then move to sell. I was just curious if folks here (as opposed to the oddball monopoly collectors trolling ebay) thought the game had any value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
...would probably make it better to sell it on ebay...

I don't think eBay allows it. From the game forum:

toolbandfan wrote:
Yes, in fact, it's not allowed to be sold on Ebay either due to their Hateful and Discriminatory policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
I have a copy of this weird item Ghettopoly, and I'm not really a collector (I know I'm in the minority here on bgg) so I don't really have any purpose for it.

FWIW, you've got that backwards, the collectors are the rare ones here, the majority actually open the boxes every once in a while. (Although plenty of us have some issues with what we consider a reasonable number of games to own...)

Quote:
What would someone give for this in a trade?

Whatever they felt was equitable of course.

As for ebay, I wouldn't bother. People try to sell it there all the time, but eventually someone always complains and it gets yanked. I suppose you could try to argue that its satire when they dump it, but I doubt the ebay gnomes would care (or understand).

You can always offer it in the trade forum, or put it up in the BGG marketplace. (It has actually sold there before.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I've got a couple of trade offers from this post. If the one I prefer doesn't come through for me, I'll probably take the second since it also offered a game I was interested in. No more ghettopoly for me. I doubt I'll ever regret trading it. For those that are interested, wikipedia has a good article with information on the legal history of the game. I think there is even a link to one of the court documents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had it pulled by eBay three times now whilst I've seen one or two last a full seven days. I can't see any pattern in the wording of the listings that makes any difference - my last attempt just described it as 'a variant of a well-known game' and avoided the use of the word Monopoly altogether!

So, if anyone wants a copy (I'm in the UK) drop me a line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in case anyone cares, it is fairly tradeable. I got several offers from mine, including several different folks trying to trade me top ten games (according to the site rankings that is) in shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.