Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for a game. Anyone in this community ever said that before? Anyway, I started thinking about how much fun it would be to have the entire BGG community contribute to the design of the game. I could post the basic idea for the game as a GeekList topic and invite users to add items in which they could recommend the addition of new mechanics or the deletion/alteration of previously agreed upon mechanics. Of course, if the game were any good, I'd be happy to share all of the acclaim (and none of the royalties) with the entire BGG community.

I've only been an 'active' member of BGG for a few years. Has anything like this been done before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
We could call it "Rip the Shill a New A-hole"

Translation:

I don't know or care if it has ever been done before. However, I've become too jaded and graceless to enjoy humor or community anymore.

I'll hope that you are simply having a bad day or for some other reason completely misunderstood the spirit in which my post was intended.

I haven't been a BGG user for that many years. However, I've been an observer of human behavior for quite some time now. For the most part, I have a great time on this forum. People are generally good-humored and friendly. It is difficult for me to understand the impulse to respond as you have. Again, I'll have to hope that the limitations of text-based communication caused you to misapprehend my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
there's always 'Eskimo Pirates from the land of Tanzania': with cowboys, vampirates, and spitfires!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8386

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it sounds like a good idea, however I fear it will become hopelessly confusing and not taken seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
otscotty wrote:

I don't know or care if it has ever been done before. However, I've become too jaded and graceless to enjoy humor or community anymore.

I'll hope that you are simply having a bad day or for some other reason completely misunderstood the spirit in which my post was intended.

I think it was more along the lines of seeing an opportunity for (in-)humor. It was not a shot at you or your aims. Whether such comments make BGG charming or cluttered depends on personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really isn't the place to do that. There is some game designer forum though that would be perfect for a project like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
there's always 'Eskimo Pirates from the land of Tanzania': with cowboys, vampirates, and spitfires!

Hilarious! That's exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
We could call it "Rip the Shill a New A-hole"

You would have to figure out how to filter the garbage input from the real input. I think you may find it more productive to ask for volunteers(say 5-10) people who are serious about collaborating and then proceed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Dude, it wasn't a shot at you.

Fair enough. I've just finished reading over my original post and can see why I've been misunderstood. I had just finished writing a long, obviously humorous text for the GeekList version. Before I posted it, I decided to ask about whether it had been done before. I thought it would be funny, but I didn't want to copy a previous GeekList. Anyway, without the entire text, it is difficult to pick up the playful mood I was going for. Sorry if I've been a bit overly sensitive. I think I'll not create the GeekList after all. It was inspired by a post I saw early this morning about today apparently being Reiner Knizia's birthday. I thought it would be funny to have everyone contribute their favorite Knizia mechanic to a simple card game with a birthday party theme. Perhaps a more fitting celebration of the event would be to play a few hands of Lost Cities with my brother (which I've just done) and go to sleep (which I'll do now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen such a boardgame here. I have, on the other hand, seen a few Dungeons & Dragons adventures that were community-designed. Said modules may be found on the Free Downloads page at creativemountaingames.com (among other sites). A discussion of the process for making the first one (which is titled Terror & Blasphemy) may be found on the fourth page of the adventure's PDF. Perhaps some aspects of the process could be adapted for boardgame design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

You just reminded me of this old thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/517507#517507

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.