Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember at the end of last year when a bunch of us took a pledge to not buy any new games until we'd worked our way through our unplayed games list? No? Well, here's a reminder -

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92255/page/1

My original list was -
- Bus Depot Diner
- Caylus
- Emerald
- Facts in Five
- Figurix
- Fist of Dragonstones
- For Sale
- Gargon
- Geschenkt
- Hack Attack
- The Hollywood Card Game
- In the Shadow of the Dragon
- Kahuna
- Kupferkessel Co.
- Pop Belly
- Primordial Soup
- Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus
- Return of the Heroes (played a partial game once)
- Take Stock (have played by old rules but not the new ones that Simon recently sent)
- Travel Blokus
- Zendo
- Zing!

And I'm pleased to be able to say, that as of tonight, with a game of Facts in Five (neat game, why have I put it off so long?) and In the Shadow of the Dragon (Meh. I'll probably just pull it out when the homeschool group is here for the Harry Potter fans), I have completed the list! Woohoo!!

Although, uh, it's not like I bought no games this year...I mean, I did BETTER! I didn't buy NEARLY as many games as I would have normally. Heck, until the Hasbro closeout and the advent of Tanga (cursed, cursed Tanga, making me spend my money!), the number of games I had bought this year could be counted on one hand.

But I've wiped out my unplayed list! All that's on it right now is Mall World (traded for earlier this year) and 1776 (bought at a garage sale).

So I'm ready for and feel fully justified in spending a wad on Battlelore!

How about the rest of you who took the pledge? Make any progress? Or is just reading this making you shrink with guilt and shame? Time to check in, brothers and sisters!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been keeping track in a geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12557

I started with a pretty small list (13), and added two more as the year went on, so 15 total. And currently my owned but unplayed list stands at four:
The Settlers of Catan: The Fishermen of Catan
Puerto Rico: Expansion I – New Buildings
Ticket to Ride: Mystery Train Expansion
Pisa (The recent trade acquisition.)

The first three are expansions, and I won't be heartbroken if I don't get them played (and at this point I probably would consider offers of trade for them). But in general, I already consider myself very successful in this project. And if I get Pisa played before the end of the year, then I'll be an extremely happy camper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I refused to take the pledge because I like having a nice pile of unplayed games to anticipate, but even without the pledge I played 4-5 unplayed games a month and only bought maybe 10 new games for myself this year...

...until Essen.

Now I'm back up to 61 unplayed games, not including expansions. If some people took the pledge but fell off the wagon, maybe my stats will make you feel better.

I am holding myself to a mini-pledge now -- no new wargames until I've played at least half of the 14 unplayed wargames on my shelf. Wargames are so much harder to get to the table that I need to impose some kind of discipline on my purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
If you need help with that pledge, Michelle, you and Jeff know where to find me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell off the wagon, although have been better about playing newer games that we've bought.

I need a good long weekend to throw at them - maybe Christmas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Here was my list:

Bang!
Duel of Ages Set 1
Cape Horn
Darebase
Fiese Freunde Fette Feten
LOTR: the Confrontation
die Macher
Meuterer
Power Grid Italy/France
Puerto Rico Expansion
Tichu
Reef Encounter
Shear Panic

Cross off everything but Bang!, Cape Horn, Darebase, and Tichu. Now add:

Tycoon
Hameln
Fowl Play
4 AoS expansions (Sun and Disco and Penn and 20,000)
Hammer of the Scots
Liberte'
Railroad Tycoon
Industria
Mr. Jack

And I think that, on balance, I did rather poorly. There's about 10 other games that I've bought and played in the interim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I have come to the conclusion that if we haven't played them by now, we have trading fodder. Our pledge did not last very long but we have played many new games because of our pledge. I've found that sometimes learning rules and teaching games can be a chore. If its too much of a chore, then trading would be an option. Also, I plan to read more rules and teach them rather than leaving it up to my husband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the number of games I had bought this year could be counted on one hand.

I can count to 31 on one hand. Unfortunately for my bank account I have bought many more than that this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of the year I wrote:

Quote:
There are certain games that I will play this year, or else nothing.

* Traders of Genoa
* Goa
* A Game of Thrones
* Louis XIV
* Torres
* Illuminati
* Puerto Rico

Of these, I've only managed to play Louis XIV, Torres and Puerto Rico. Looks like I'm going to have to accept the consequences. I extended the list later on, and have indeed managed to play almost all the additions.

Next year's pledge will require limiting my unplayed games to a percentage of my collection, or maybe making my "Owned and Played 10 Times" list longer than my "Owned and Never Played at All" list:

http://extended.1111mb.com/result_Friendless.html#playsowned

Of course, removing expansions from the "Never Played" list should sort that out :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And I'm pleased to be able to say, that as of tonight, with a game of Facts in Five (neat game, why have I put it off so long?)

It's one of those games that "screw thy opponent" comes in a different variety than other games. When I play against my wife and a friend (both geologists), they somehow manage to sneak in a wild card for something like "Fossils of the Ordovician" or "Dinosaur Names", knowing that I know little about either.

FiF is a good trivia game, though. Glad to see that you enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Denise wrote:

How about the rest of you who took the pledge? Make any progress? Or is just reading this making you shrink with guilt and shame? Time to check in, brothers and sisters!!

My pledge was slightly different. I decided to impose a total moritorium until after Easter and thereafter to restrict new game buying, partly by having to play an unplayed game from before the moritorium for each new game played, partly by having to play all newly-bought games before placing a further order, but mainly by establishing some game-buying principles or mantras:

* Not to buy a game just to be the first member of the game group to boast of owning it;

* Not to buy a game just because of its rarity;

* Not to buy a game from yesteryear based on my nostalgia for my childhood;

* Not to buy a newly published game based on the hype of early adopters;

* generally, only to buy a game that I can expect to get to the table.

To date, I have generally maintained these principles, my game-buying budget is a fraction of the previous year and I expect to continue with the new regime indefinitely.

In peace

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't take the pledge, but this thread inspired me to see how I'm doing. I checked my play stats and there are only a few that I haven't played. I'm much better off than I thought. It just feels like it because there are many I would like to play more than I do.

Dang it. Now I feel like I'm somehow authorized to go buy more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
After Essen (in which I spent way too much on games) I am back up to 109 unplayed games not including expansions.

What is crazy is that this year I've played 259 titles that I'd never played before, and have only increased my collection by 79 games. Somehow I have 109 unplayed games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thanks Morgan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, I've only played two of my original 8 listed. Colossal Areana and Medina. And I've bought way more than 8 new games since then.

I think it has to do with having kids being the most reliable source of gaming partners. The heavier titles don't make it out when you can play another game of Bucket King, Heimlich and Co., Return of the Heroes or what ever else the kids just can't get enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here was my original list, with updates:

* Santiago (have played another copy of this once)
* Fifth Avenue
* Gargon (have played a friend's copy)
* Gartenzwerge e.V.

* Java
* Mammoth Hunters
* Atlanteon
* Oltremare
* Meuterer
* Verraeter
* Attribute
* Big City

* Mamma Mia
* Gang of Four
* The Penguin Ultimatum
* Princes of Florence
* Traders of Genoa

* Union Pacific
* Through the Desert
* Adel Verpflichtet
* Maharajah
* Star Munchkin
* Cranium
* Monkeys on the Moon
* Wallenstein
* Pick Picknic
* High Society
* Drunter und Drueber
* Frank's Zoo
* Mue

The updates:
- Tichu
- 6 nimmt

- Risk (! - OK so Fraser has played it, but I don't think I ever have)
- Settlers of Nuernberg
- The Thunderbirds game
- Cities & Knights of Catan
- Seafarers of Catan
- Carcassonne: Traders & Builders
- Carcassonne: King & Scout
- Carcassonne: Princess & Dragon
- Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a pledger. Specifically, I pledged not to buy any more games until I’d played at least 60% of my collection. I had about 43 unplayed games at the time. I actually stuck to that pledge. I ended up trading/selling a bunch of games and really did put a lot of time and energy into playing the games I had. I found it immensely rewarding. It also reduced my urge to buy new games, once I realized just how fun my current collection was.

After hitting 60%, I did purchase about $100 worth of new games. My new pledge is not to buy anymore games until I’ve played 90% of my collection. Playing any two of the following list will meet that requirement. But I’m not really in any hurry.

Current Unplayed Games:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game
Chrononauts
Deadlands - Doomtown Range Wars
Dracula's Revenge
Fury of Dracula
Fury of the Clansmen
Pirateer
Race Day
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinslayer wrote:

Race Day
San Juan

Well, San Juan is an excellent game and Race Day is at least quick, so that should be easy enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.