Blue Moon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Active cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffiths
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for asking a really obvious question, but my housemate and I couldn't come to an agreement last night during a game. And I'm sure the answer is already in another thread, but I couldn't find it...

What exactly counts as an active card?

My housemate thinks once a character and booster card are covered up by another character card, they become inactive. And she says once they are covered up, their values and power text are inactive.

I disagreed. I know once they are covered up their values are of no importance, but if I played a character card earlier in the game (that is now covered up) and those cards had this in the power text: 'Your opponent may not attract a dragon if I retreat' or 'I attract one additional dragon if you retreat' then I think those still apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, your roommate is correct. Once a character or booster card has been covered up, its text as well as its values no longer apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there's no single rule that defines an active card. Rather each type of card defines when it is active, in the case of the basic four card types on pages 7-8 of the rulebook. And I must admit (to my surprise) that there doesn't appear to be a specific statement that only special power text on active cards applies (*) it's more implied by the word active. (There are also examples, and each icon makes the point, and for power the point is made.)

I feel a new question for the FAQ coming on. If anyone spots a relevant rule (about special power text and active) I've overlooked please let me know (here or directly).

(*) That's once they are in play. Text also applies in hand, but that's another matter that's been done to death elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.