Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Crime doesn't pay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally convinced my wife that we should be playing this game more, as we both love the series. However, after less than half a dozen plays we have almost reached an impasse - she is very reluctant to do anything illegal!

I always start off legal, and then once I've got enough crew and items start trying to do jobs for Badger and Patience where there are more illegal jobs and more lucrative payouts. However, she is much happier doing shipping jobs for Harken and Amon Duul. Admittedly, this has worked out for her on one occasion, but it limits the stories that we can play to the First Time in the Chair and Respectable Persons of Business (as they don't necessitate Misbehaving to finish).

Has anyone else run into a player who is inclined to stick to the law? What did you do to get them to move beyond that?

(I should point out that we only have the base game. Would any of the expansions help add a little variety to our games?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain why she won't do illegal jobs, it is just a game after all (not trying to ridicule anyone's beliefs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a moral reason or anything like that, we do realise it's just a game!

However, I think she just doesn't like the risks involved. I can't be certain though, as she certainly takes risks in other games we play.

It's a strange one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Pirates and Bounty Hunters would be any value to you and Blue Sun wouldn't add much either (but you get 2 more ships to choose from).

If its a risk thing, why not convince her to go for a strategy where she builds up Crew and Equipment that provides an almost certain pass of most Misbehave Cards and those that she fails should then only end in a Botch, so she can try again next Turn, rather than Crew killed and/or a Warrant issued?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If risk is the problem, has your wife read through the Misbehave cards? One of the misconceptions I developed before the game finally arrived was that all the Misbehave cards attempted to block your crew from success. Not only is that not true, but there are really helpful cards in there, like "Everything that's not nailed down". Plus of course with Transport you can survive virtually every hostile card. Nandi as a Companion is the obvious Leader to convince your wife to use in starting with Illegal Jobs and/or Goals requiring Misbehave tests.

Oddly enough, I became somewhat less cautious after my first fatality. It broke down a sort of mental barrier and I was more willing to take risks. I have only lost one other person since then, too. That's out of 14 games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also skim through the Jobs and look at the payout amounts for Legal vs. Illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a solitaire Story Card (I haven't posted anything here, yet) called "Legal Tender" where your Leader is committed to being a contract worker for the Alliance, so not only does s/he have to take jobs from Harken, but must also avoid doing (or at least being noticed or caught doing) any illegal jobs or carrying fugitives, contraband, or wanted crew. The premise is that your ship got caught by Harken doing something the Alliance really frowns upon. Harken was going to confiscate your ship and throw you in prison, but you saved his life. So, instead, you are obligated to do contract work for the Alliance and avoid all illegal activity!

I thought the restrictions (and risk of losing the game if you break them) would let the player have a reason to use the legal cards. It would also make it harder to reach the needed amount of money to win in the turns allotted. I haven't decided whether to remove the illegal cards from the decks (which will make Niska pretty worthless) or make a rule where the player can draw until s/he has at least 2 legal cards to consider (or there are not enough left in the deck).

It will focus on working the Legal jobs, and keeping clean and solid with Harken, with bad consequences if you don't.

I am writing it because, I feel that the legal jobs rarely get used. My scenario will force the player to use them to try to complete the goals of the story card. I haven't worked out all the details yet about what the exact goals or consequences will be.

I haven't worked on it for a while, but when I do again, I will try to make a multi-player version of it, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to play games that require me to do things I don't want to do. Personally, I have moral qualms about playing as the Nazis in various war games or owning slaves in Five Tribes or other things of that sort.

That said, I've personally never had a problem with it in Firefly. It's very abstract and I guess I've always viewed the "misbehavin'" in Firefly to be of the Robin Hood style. Yes, you're stealing or whatever, but you're doing it to the rich oppressors and you're doing it to help the poor and oppressed. That's often how it is in the TV show and movie. Anyway, if morality does figure into your wife's playing preference, you might want to suggest that it's more like Robin Hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a player who seemed to feel that way when I was showing off the game at TableTop Day events in Reading recently. Pointing up the separation of Immoral and Illegal seemed to help (forced settler relocation, versus breaking your friend out of jail).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
I had a player who seemed to feel that way when I was showing off the game at TableTop Day events in Reading recently. Pointing up the separation of Immoral and Illegal seemed to help (forced settler relocation, versus breaking your friend out of jail).

That's a good point. In my previous post, I was only talking about Illegal jobs. I actually have never taken an Immoral job in Firely: The Game, but I'll do Illegal jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.