Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bailey
Australia
Flemington
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

If the case file card for is "motive (2)" and we need 10 Tracks and we lay out a 5T then a 3T. Does this mean that we cannot complete the motive as it will take a third card (2T) to confirm or do we just treat the situation as the impossible in that each card we play over the case file limit costs us 1 Sherlock point? I suspect this is the case but struggled to find any mention in the rules.

Nice game but kind of struggling with the difficulty. The inspector cards are just awful unless you get a helpful deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as you realize this dilemma you have two options:you can either play an unfitting card to that lead, meaning for example a 1 of clues which is then added to the target number, or you can abandon the action lead via the pursue action, shuffling all the played evidence cards into the draw pile. The Impossible card limit is only for the Impossible itself end you never have to reduce the Holmes track for playing more cards to a lead than said limit!
Kolja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashhawk wrote:
As soon as you realize this dilemma you have two options:you can either play an unfitting card to that lead, meaning for example a 1 of clues which is then added to the target number, or you can abandon the action lead via the pursue action, shuffling all the played evidence cards into the draw pile. The Impossible card limit is only for the Impossible itself end you never have to reduce the Holmes track for playing more cards to a lead than said limit!
Kolja

Spot on again Kolja, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stebai wrote:

Nice game but kind of struggling with the difficulty. The inspector cards are just awful unless you get a helpful deal.

Hi Steve,

Let me address this for you.

As mentioned in the rules, it is not necessary to play with the detectives. We included them to add a bit of theme, but more importantly as a way to handicap players of different abilities. So an experienced player can have a detective role other than Gregson and Lestrade(making the game harder for them). A young or inexperienced player could play as Gregson or Lestrade as their abilities are more helpful to them player (and the team). So it is by design that they have differing degrees of difficulty.

By all means if you find the game too difficult, remove the Detectives.
Also, note that each case file increases in difficulty from case file 1 to case file 12.

We suggest that you don't advance to a new level, until you have beaten the previous level.
Once you've completed a level, you can always revisit it, and this time take on the role of a detective.

Thanks for playing the game. I hope it brings you many more sessions of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bailey
Australia
Flemington
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the clarification. I will be playing it quite a lot I feel :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stebai wrote:
Hi

If the case file card for is "motive (2)" and we need 10 Tracks and we lay out a 5T then a 3T. Does this mean that we cannot complete the motive as it will take a third card (2T) to confirm or do we just treat the situation as the impossible in that each card we play over the case file limit costs us 1 Sherlock point? I suspect this is the case but struggled to find any mention in the rules.

This comment confused me and I'm wondering if I missed a rule. First I don't see a "motive (2)" on any of the case files, they are all "motive (3)" Second, I don't see anything in the rulebook describing what the number in the parenthesis mean. We assumed it meant the number of cards in the setup of the Lead deck. This posting seems to imply there is a limit on the number of evidence cards that you can play onto the Lead Sections (which I don't see in the rules at all either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:

First I don't see a "motive (2)" on any of the case files, they are all "motive (3)" Second, I don't see anything in the rulebook describing what the number in the parenthesis mean. We assumed it meant the number of cards in the setup of the Lead deck. This posting seems to imply there is a limit on the number of evidence cards that you can play onto the Lead Sections (which I don't see in the rules at all either).

Hi,

You are correct the number in parenthesis refers to the number lead cards placed for each lead during setup. And you are correct that currently all the cards are listed as (3). This wasn't always the case in earlier editions, and will likely not be the same in future editions. If you want to ramp up the difficulty, then reducing the number of cards you use for Lead setup will assist with that.

And for the sake of clarity, Leads can have any number of evidence cards played on them. Only the Invisible IMPOSSIBLE is limited, as indicated on the case file.

.... However You've given me an idea for how to make the game even harder.... those little grey cells are ticking. Oh wait, that wasn't Holmes, was it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea came from the original poster, who was playing it erroneously. But since his erroneous play was not pointed out by Kolja who instead tried to comment on a "workaround" for his (non-existent) problem and further confirmed by you. All this silence on his erroneous play made me think that it was actually a rule I missed. I think there might also been a deleted post in there which made the thread more confusing.

ukdane wrote:

And for the sake of clarity, Leads can have any number of evidence cards played on them. Only the Invisible is limited, as indicated on the case file.

Do you mean the impossible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:

Do you mean the impossible?

*sigh* yes, yes I do (I've been up since 3:30am) I'll edit the error for clarity. Thanks for noticing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
The idea came from the original poster, who was playing it erroneously. But since his erroneous play was not pointed out by Kolja who instead tried to comment on a "workaround" for his (non-existent) problem and further confirmed by you. All this silence on his erroneous play made me think that it was actually a rule I missed. I think there might also been a deleted post in there which made the thread more confusing.

Not sure about a deleted post, but yes, I answered the question ignoring the mention from the OP of the (2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.