Subject: doom Game components do not match the rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had Doom on the shelve for a year now and decided to break it open.

I first started to punch the game and noticed that each card was labeled. I confirmed that I had all 12/12 of the cards and no duplicates.

After punching everything I started to match up the components listed to what I had. I came up with some different counts. I looked at the errata sheet listed on Fantasy flight game and none of the typo's were for the component list.

Can someone confirm what I have is right and the rule book is miss-printed?

Thanks

The game book says I should have 30 wounds tokens, I have 46

The game book says I should have 21 dead ends, I have 22

The game book says I should have 18 obstacles, I have 19 ( I am counting all the obstacles that or double sided. The ones not added are the 4 encounter tokens that have obstacles on the other side)

The game books says I should have 15 other tokens, I have 9. (this one concerns me the most, in all the other examples, I have more than listed, here I am short 6. The ones I have held as other tokens are the following:
3 adrenaline
3 berserk
3 tokens with doom game with big red X on them. no idea what those are since they are not listed in the rules.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The red X ones are the cancel tokens for one of the doomtrooper cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks... what about the counter count... is the rulebook wrong with the number they say I should have versus what I do have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No idea, but I've never seen a shortage in any game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the exact same count of items as yourself and never encountered a problem during play with being short a piece or token, so I would chalk it up as an error in the book that was never officially corrected.

Similarly, you'll note that while it says there should be 113 Equipment Tokens broken down into groups of 45, 21, 12, and 15 tokens, even if you were to have those exact quantities, that would only grant you a total of 93 Equipment tokens. Oops!

In short, don't worry about it and enjoy the game. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I did not even notice that. I did glance over the mission books and did not see anything that would catch me... but wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notied my rulebook said I was supposed to have 58 floor pieces and I had 59. I examined the levels printed in the book and tried to figure out which piece was the extra and boiled it down to one of two, but not the dead end: there's supposed to be 22; The Shores of Hell uses all 22.

Also of note is the expansion comes with airless floor pieces but also I think three regular floor pieces. But none of the 11 official levels (books + the online FFG level "Blood in the Shadows") use all five of the 4x4 square pieces, nor all 4 of the 5x5 squares. Nor, in fact, do they ever use all three of the cross-shaped floor pieces (unless you count CTF-1 Green Plaza). Another interesting fact to note is that the five levels that come with the original DOOM=BG set never use the Adrenaline tokens. Their first appearance was the online level.

Level 10 in the expanion shows one airless floor piece that should actually be two 2x3 pieces together. No level uses all five 2x3 airless pieces. No leve uses both dead-end airless pieces. No level even uses the single corner airless piece or the 3-way T-shaped piece.

As for the extras in the original, I think that was just a result of how they spaced the pieces on the punch-out cards; I think everyone got the same amounts of floor pieces. The unused pieces in the expansion are evident that they're encouraging fan levels, and of course there are loads of those; I've made 16 myself I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.