Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have skimmed the updates and what not but as far as I can tell we are just unlocking stuff for the retail box? Just wondering if anyone could clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like one of those, take stuff out pre campaign, to put it back in with stretch goal deals, Joe, yes.
The same thing that caused uproar in bunnies v zombies, and soon had it cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
Denmark
LISELEJE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they made that crystal clear, when they started with the Elder L3 in the game, and then making the Elder L1 a stretch goal.. And maybe the Level 2 will show up.. Not the brightest idea ever IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already a Kickstarter exclusive model -- Daniel Stroica. They also have put in Team America as stretch goals, which at retail would be a separate $25 expansion, apparently. Another stretch goal is KS exclusive upgraded ID cards and plastic markers.

I expect there will be more stretch goals that are not going to be in the base retail game.

Back now, fund their production costs, and be rewarded with some exclusives and some extras that either won't be available later or will cost extra as expansions. I assume that's the reason to back now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
I have skimmed the updates and what not but as far as I can tell we are just unlocking stuff for the retail box? Just wondering if anyone could clarify.

It's funded so at least that means it will get made barring other issues but there is no guarantee that it will hit retail any where near when backers get it if ever. It's also a decent price, $75 vs. the $100 most minis games KS for. If we unlock all of Team America, the price will rival online prices.

I backed it largely due to the quality of the components but I am not sold on the gameplay yet, I'm hoping to see a review video before the project closes. I'll probably back in any event because the minis will go well with a number of my other games (Zombicide, Gears of War, Claustrophobia, Descent, Fireteam Zero, Mercs Recon) even if the gameplay is lacking. They are some mean looking vampires!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the quality of components is the key selling point so far.

I've heard Undead Viking will be posting a review of gameplay.

If some rules end up needing tweaking -- randomizing Vampire behavior, for example -- I'm OK with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys mention quality of components, have they shown actual production miniatures yet, or just 3D renders and resin masters?

I question the ability of PVC to keep the detail of the renders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wouldn't expect the PVC production minis to be as detailed as the renders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Lagerpusch
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Vampire behaviour is not that random at all. Vampires depend on speed. If they would stop at an enemy they would be vulnerable and therefore easier to kill.

Don't know how the final miniatures will turn out but please don't forget this is a board game with miniatues and not a wargame where you have got resin miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeerLagerpusch wrote:

Don't know how the final miniatures will turn out but please don't forget this is a board game with miniatues and not a wargame where you have got resin miniatures.

That is nice to say, but the fact is they are using the very detailed renders as a selling point, and are doing so to attract folks with the minis who may not otherwise be interested in the game. So how they turn out absolutely makes a difference.

Iello learned this with Guardians Chronicles. If you show gorgeous renders and masters, then produce soft detailed lumps you will see a backlash.

You may not think it matters, or think folks who DO think it matters are silly, but the fact is, it does matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Lagerpusch
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I do know about that problem and Brimstone had the same problem and are now working on better minis. And I do agree that the quality of minis matter, but the other way around people need to keep in mind that all of this is work in progress and not a finished game and that wargames tend to have better quality minis than board games.
Sure there are examples that have got awesome plastic minis like Journey: Wrath of Demons. Dark Game Games will do everything to delivery good quality minis that is for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But again, they are using the minis to sell this game.

Look at how many pictures and videos on the project page very prominently feature the minis. Look at how many stretch goals are minis.

If they are committed to PVC they are not really doing everything they can to deliver good quality minis. They may be doing everything they can to deliver the best PVC minis they can, but there is a difference. And if those PVC minis do not look as good as the renders and masters they are using to sell the game, there will potentially be problems.

Since there are a few posts above mentioning "the quality of components is the key selling point so far" it is important to recognize we do not know what the actual quality of some of the key components are.

When this whole topic centers around the question "Why Back Now?", it is correct to point this stuff out. If you are part of the target audience they are using the renders and masters to draw into the project, you should be wary of how the production minis may or may not come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a fair concern. I just assume the PVC production minis will not be quite as sharp as the masters (or the 3D renders, obviously) but still expect them to look good. And the cost might be prohibitively high if they were to use resin, or the durability might be worse.

With Kickstarter projects, there always are pros and cons. Some will see the extras -- stretch goals and KS exclusives -- as worthwhile, while others will prefer to wait and see the final product to be sure of quality. It's up to each individual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.