Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're missing something. You are missing the total card pool. There are a lot of cards in sets past avengers versus X-Men which speed up the game. They're also a lot of cards that bypass the defender wall. The game really opened up with more sets in rotation. For example, it is possible, even probable, to have a turn three Hulk on the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
RIalto
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If your randomly forming teams and just waiting for the game to do something fun for you, it's going to get redundant. Look for synergies throughout your team choices.

About the Hulk...Two words....Green Goliath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just within avx, to get more expensive characters on the field, look at nova:quasar plus human torch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind the card abilities and Global Abilities. Most of them will allow you to do cool things, like get rid of blockers, make characters unblockable, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is Professor X from the Uncanny X-men set. His global allows things to move stupid fast. Basically you pay a mask to move 2 sidekicks from your used to your prep.

The long answer for a Hulk on the field on turn 3 is as follows:

Turn 1:
Roll 4 dice
Buy Polymorph (from D&D - Basic Action)
Use Prof. X Global (PXG)

Turn 2:
Roll 6 dice
Field Sidekick
Use 2-3 dice for PXG
Maybe buy something

Turn 3,
Roll 8-ish dice:
Buy Hulk. Put him in your used pile.
Use Polymorph to switch him to the field with your sidekick.

You might also look at the relentless global to get around blocker walls (basic action from UXM). There are also a bunch of characters with can't be blocked effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at counter strategies, there are some major control cards in Yu-Gi-Oh and some neat cost reduction effects in D&D.

It is worth looking at dicemasterdb.com to get an idea of the range of cards.

The reservepool.com and diceanon.com are good places to find strategy articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, NPC = Sidekick. The terms are interchangeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanishViking1 wrote:
Zxqueb wrote:
Yes, you're missing something. You are missing the total card pool. There are a lot of cards in sets past avengers versus X-Men which speed up the game. They're also a lot of cards that bypass the defender wall. The game really opened up with more sets in rotation. For example, it is possible, even probable, to have a turn three Hulk on the field.

Can you tell me some ways to get the Hulk out faster? I'm really new to the game, and I'm having trouble finding comprehensive strategy guides. I think if I got a turn 3 Hulk out, it would change my enjoyment of the game a LOT. Which cards am I looking for to do that?

The main concept is churn and getting dice into your prep area to roll next turn. AvX has Mutate 666. One way you can use Beast is to buy him up as quickly as possible buy 2 turn one and turn 2. Bring a Phoenix or Mr. Fantasic with the global to force your opponent to attack. Force any character to attack even a sidekick. Block with all your Beasts. Draw a bunch of dice for your prep.

If you don't want to go crazy buying more sets, getting just one common Professor X from Uncanny for it's global also radically changes the game in it's ability to get higher cost characters out faster. You can get a single on coolstuffinc.com for a couple bucks shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you have a balanced team, not only characters that work together but mix up your expensive dice with some cheaper ones. Get a Nick Fury: Mr Anger in there to help out your Avengers and for each of your 6 point dice, offset them with cheaper dice like Beast and Ant Man or the aforementioned Nick Fury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.