Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think of this as a trick-taking card game? Why or why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the traditional sense. Trick taking games typically have each player contributing a single card with the highest card (usually) taking all the cards played.

In Too Many Cooks players continue playing cards until a certain total is reached, at which point the player that puts it over takes all the cards, thus play can go several rounds with no cards being taken, or it could go as few as two cards so the full table may not get to play on any given "trick"

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus making it more like a climbing game, rather than a trick-taking game. Although, unlike other climbing games I know, the value of the pot keeps increasing, rather than the cards being played, but I think that would still count. Techincally, I'd have to call it a climbing and plummeting game, when the Boil Over cards are factored in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an "adding" game:

In adding games players play out cards in turn, and the values of the cards are added together as they are played. The object is generally to reach or avoid certain point totals. www.pagat.com/adders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'll add yet another term. Too Many Cooks is a rolling trick game. In these games, the trick continues around the table until some condition is met (either everyone passes or someone is forced to take it). Players are usually allowed to pass and then re-enter by playing a card during a later turn. Climbing games are a subset of rolling trick games. I'd also agree with Sean that TMC is an adding game, but while the number of rolling trick games has been burgeoning lately, you don't see too many new adding games.

So to answer your question, Rick, I do not think of TMC as a classic trick-taking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldsmith
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays, however, like a trick-taking game in which the goal is generally to avoid tricks, e.g. hearts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rachfal
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffG wrote:
It plays, however, like a trick-taking game in which the goal is generally to avoid tricks, e.g. hearts.

I don't agree with this at all. As long as the "pot" of cards isn't negative for you, there is plenty of incentive to take a trick in order to keep other players from scoring those points. For example, if there are 3 peas cards in the pot, you are collecting onions, and the person to your left is collecting peas, taking the peas has no negative impact for you -- but prevents the player on your left from getting a large score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no way in which this is not a trick-taking game. Play occurs in definte sets of cards, which get taken up by some player and used to score. How that is not taking a trick is mysterious to me.

Definitions of trick-taking that include things other than the fact that you're taking tricks are Not Useful to Me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
I see no way in which this is not a trick-taking game. Play occurs in definte sets of cards, which get taken up by some player and used to score. How that is not taking a trick is mysterious to me.

Perhaps we can solve this mystery.

In TMC there is not a definite set of cards. It is a variable set of cards. A trick, as defined at Pagat.com, "consists of number of cards, one contributed by each of the players."

The card pool in TMC fails to meet the definition of a trick. It may consist of different numbers of cards and may have 0 or more contributed by each player. Therefore, TMC is not a trick-taking game.

Quote:
Definitions of trick-taking that include things other than the fact that you're taking tricks are Not Useful to Me.

Inventing definitions of trick-taking that do not describe the taking of tricks seem to be Even Less Useful to You. In the future, you may wish to use the actual meaning of terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:

Because a trick is every player playing a single card. This does not happen in Too Many Cooks. Instead an undetermined number of cards is played, which does not meet the criteria for being called a trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitive answer--TMC is an ADDING game: A game where cards are common played to central pile which a running total of the pile is tracked and when the total of the pile reaches a certain level (or not allowed to exceed a total, think Cribbage), the pile is reset to 0 (and possibly it is captured by the player who forces it over) and the game continues.

Cribbage, by far, is most well known, but there are others:
http://www.pagat.com/adders/

What confuses people is that TMC uses a very common (though not universal) trick taking rule--you must follow suit, if able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Amazingly, it was still listed as "trick-taking game" here at geek.
I just requested to remove that from mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Spatulaguy wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

Because a trick is every player playing a single card. This does not happen in Too Many Cooks. Instead an undetermined number of cards is played, which does not meet the criteria for being called a trick.

No where has it ever been stated that a "trick" is defined by only playing 1 card per person.

Definition of TRICK:
4: the cards played in one round of a card game often used as a scoring unit.

-Merriam-Webster

"In trick-taking games, activity is centered around tricks. A trick starts by one playerleading a card (or rarely more than one card), i.e. putting it face up in the middle of the table. Other players put additional cards face up on top until the trick is over. One player wins the trick according to certain rules."
-http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Card_Games/Trick-taking_games

From the rules of the card game "Big Two"

"Cards may be played as singles or in groups...When all but one of the players have passed in succession the trick is over"-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Two

From Trick taking games
"The object of such games then may be closely tied to the number of tricks taken... or on the value of the cards contained in taken tricks, as in point-trick games"
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-taking_game

So, while rare, Too Many Cooks is a trick taking game where the tricks can merely have multiple cards from each player. The object is to take cards with points and avoid cards with harmful points. Just because it's an amalgamation of many mechanics found in various card games does not exclude it from being a trick taking game, it merely makes it a hybrid and an oddity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.