Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game when FK was announced because I loved the look of the game, loved the minis (and I had a nostalgic moment when I was into painting miniaturs during high school) but I was looking for an "ongoing campaign" experience and i found out that the new FK rules will support a future campaign mode and a 2 player PVP arena mode, and I was really excited
But I just noticed that I don't have a single clue about what was changed in the "vanilla" game

So why this FK is so gamechanging, making a 7.1 game like the base sde an 8.5 voted game. What's new? They're toatly different games? I'm not talking about rules but of the overall experience.
Is it more balanced? More fun? What makes it better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reboots/expansions will generally be rated higher than the base because mostly fans of the original will buy it, not those who rated the original experience lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
... but the potential man, the potential here could go as far as a long lasting franchise.

I agree with you, that's why I bought the base game in the first place: the potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
We've had the cynical, stereotypical response, now here's one looking at what's actually changed in the game.

Glad you hopped in with the differences; I haven't had a chance to play it, so I can't comment on them.

But my response wasn't, in any way, cynical. It's a statement of fact. There might very well be improvements on the game that make it better, or at least better for people who own both and can compare it, but the very nature of expansions/reboots leads to higher ratings. It's a bad proxy for quality for that reason, and so framing the question as one about the ratings is an incorrect and dangerous way to go about it, since it might mislead people in the future to make purchasing decisions based on skewed data. If anything, my response was the opposite of cynical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't give a fuck what the 'nature' of reboot scoring is. As far as I'm concerned the increase in score reflects the massive improvement they have made to the game, and in fact the differential should be bigger.
SDE was always a game which should have been better than it was, a set of cool ideas which added up to what was bit of a mess. They took a disapointing game and made it into one of the best Dungeon cralws on the market.
The rulebook is still a bit messy, there is a little too much eratta and arcade mode needs a tad more garnish (I don't think 'half baked' is anywhere near fair) but apart from those minor issues this is what every 'revision' should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did clean the game up quite a bit and the addition of the Coop version is a big plus in my book. I actually didn't play the original game that much. I wanted to paint the miniatures more than play the game. With the new Classic and Arcade mode rules that is going to change. I can see this at my game table quite a bit in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.