6 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Talisman: The Swordening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sat down to a game of "Find Every Sword in the Deck", err, I mean "Talisman" last night with the family.

House rules & Speed/Fun Tweaks:
*Everyone starts with +1 STR or CFT
*Trophies cash in every 5 points
*Reaper Expansion: Everything but the Reaper itself
*City: Did not use The City board
**At start of game everyone got 5 gold worth of whatever purchases they wanted.
**Landing on The City Space let you shop wherever (which is pretty much used exclusively to buy MOAR PETZ!!!)
*Other Expansions: Characters only, and whatever cards may have been shuffled into the Adventure Deck and Spell Deck.

Characters at start:
Scout (9 year old), chose +1 CFT, a Pet (got Whiskers, lucky…), and a Great Sword.
Knight (girlfriend), chose +1 STR, a Pet (Fez, stoopid munky), and a Mule (decent choice considering Knight starts the game with 2 objects).
Sword Burglar, that is, Cat Burglar (me), chose +1 CFT, a Pet (Hopper the “wound up being utterly worthless then dying”), a Stiletto (which I _REALLY_ didn’t need to waste money on…), and 2 Scrolls>Spells (which were promptly eaten by a Magic Vortex on turn 2).

Early Game:
Scout: Managed to drop a Path Token on a Healer on the Ruins early on, giving the Scout access to free heals at both corners of the board. Also dropped a Path on a Demon that was promptly ignored. When you drop a Path token on a card you get to draw an additional card, between that and Whiskers the Kitty, the Scout could easily pull _3_ cards from a ‘Draw 1’ space.
The Scout Player's primary goal (as always) is “Get Gold > Get MOAR PETZ!!! > Become Zookeeper’s Nightmare”. Mission was off to a slow start until she pulled a Cave right next to The City. 2nd pet wound up being Terrance “move 1 space” the Tortoise. From then on it was mostly “move to Cave > Hope for Gold > move to City when Pet-capable”. Ultimately only wound up with 3 pets (the 3rd was Stinker, never used). She also snagged BOTH Horse-and-Carts from the Adventure Deck. Even though she could now carry up to _20_ objects, she never had more than 3 until the very, very end. During her search for gold she managed to find the Maiden (+2 CFT), the Familiar (+2 CFT), and the Unicorn (+1 CFT).

Knight: For the first 3rd of the game wandered around aimlessly, stopping at the Chapel when convenient and hoping to Gain Life.
The second 3rd of the game was more annoying/interesting. Fez the Monkey’s ability is that when you land on a “Draw” space, you can move any other card in the same region to that Draw space. The reason this is relevant to the second 3rd of the game is that the Knight flipped the Shrine. The Shrine lets you Pray. The Knight can add up to 2 when Praying. The Knight moved the Shrine every turn possible (with a brief interruption). Between Shrine and Chapel, the Knight was up to around 9 Life at one point.
I must also note that when at the Chapel, the Knight was actively avoiding gaining any spells. When she did manage to roll a hard 6 and had no choice, she attempted to decline the spell. I told her she had to take it, and that maybe it would be “thematically fitting” with her quest to have all the lives.
She drew “Healing”.

Sword Burglar: The swords. Lordy lordy, the swords.
But first, as stated before, my 2 starting spells were promptly eaten by a Vortex.
After some adventuring around the Outer region, and gaining a Sword to go with my Stiletto (2 swords), I got a free Ferry Ride from the Tavern. My adventure in the Middle region was brought short by a Patrol sending me back to the City.
After some more adventuring around the Outer region I decided to lift an Axe (3 swords, yes I’m counting the Axe as a sword) from the Village and get to the Middle region, wound up with another free ride from the Ferry/Tavern, the Axe was worthless, should have stolen a Mule. This time I found another friendly follower, promptly followed by the Hag (this is the main reason why Hopper the Bunny was worthless, as he ‘hopped off’). So I headed back to the Out-lands to get rid of the Hag.
While on my way to the Village I stopped at the Hidden Valley and (of course) drew another Sword and another Axe (up to 5 swords).
I also happened upon Bane Sword (number 6). I will also note that I had no Mule, so I had to ditch the weaker ones as I went.
Around this time the Scout flipped up the Runesword, as the Scout and Knight are both Good, they couldn’t take it, but that didn’t mean the Knight couldn’t take a break from playing “Abuse the Shrine” to playing “Keep Away” instead. A lucky roll a couple turns later and I now had sword number 7.

End Game:
Everyone decided to make a run for the Crown at about the same time.
The CFT 10 Burglar ‘persuaded’ a friendly Hermit at sword point to give up his precious, and off I went.

The Scout (CFT 10, mostly items) rode a Portal to the middle and started a Warlock quest (it’s easy to get where you want to go when you can voluntarily move 1 space, and/or voluntarily +1 to the move roll).
The Knight took the Sentinel easily enough with +12 Combat STR (9 base, +2 Colossus, +1 Sword).
Between the Oasis and the Portal I managed to get a Magic Ring and Sword number 8 (the Sword of Light). This led to quite the dilemma, as I currently had a Talisman, the Runesword, and the Holy Grail. Had to keep the Talisman. The Magic Ring and Holy Grail would speed my way to the Crown (and the Ring would finally give a NON-SWORD boost to STR). But which Sword to keep? Runesword is only +1, but has Life Steal, and there was sure to be a scuffle on the Crown sooner than later. The Runesword also had the benefit of being worthless to the other 2 characters. The Sword of Light gives +2 to STR, and can be used by the other characters. I kept the Runesword on the assumption that the Life Steal would be worth more than the +1 STR (and the fact that the Scout already had a +2 Great Sword, so the Sword of Light wouldn’t help any).
I was first to the inner, followed 2 turns behind by the Scout, who in turn was followed 2 turns behind by the Knight. My lead was reduced when a Pit Fiend delayed me by getting a Tie, so I only had 1 turn to cast a Command spell (fizzle).
Then the Scout caught up, she was up 2 STR points on me, and the best I ever managed was a Tie (the dice hate me, but the Swords love me). Scout claimed the Magic Ring in victory.

The Knight, with only 9 STR, had a false start in the Crypt, but managed to only get booted to the Portal. Then got hung up Dicing with Death while the Scout finished me off. The Scout had 4 turns of Command Spells (2 hits, 2 misses) before the Knight got to the Crown.
The Knight had picked up the Sword of Light and was at +13 Combat STR, the Scout was now at +11 with the Magic Ring.
The Knight still had 6 freaking lives AND the Healing spell, while the Scout was down to just 3 Lives.

It should go without saying that the Knight won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound like fun.
grarrrg wrote:
This is a nice idea. Sort of an "accelerated start" where you get to choose what good stuff to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Johnson
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I like that idea too. That with the 5 trophy/upgrade and +1 Craft or STR bonus (base game optional rule) I think will help the game time dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostromos wrote:
Yes I like that idea too. That with the 5 trophy/upgrade and +1 Craft or STR bonus (base game optional rule) I think will help the game time dramatically.
That was the idea.
Keeping the attention of a 9 year old for a full "normal" game is darn near impossible.
I'm always open for more/better suggestions to speed things along.

Note: the expansion game boards were not included due to lack of (card)table space, not (necessarily) to speed up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

House rules & Speed/Fun Tweaks:
*Everyone starts with +1 STR or CFT
*Trophies cash in every 5 points
This is a good idea for those occasions where time might not allow a full session.

How long did your session take?

We played once simply where everyone gets eeither 2 str or 2 cft cones at the start. That session lasted about three hours whereas our normal run time is 4-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid_Dragon wrote:
This is a good idea for those occasions where time might not allow a full session.

How long did your session take?
I didn't pay attention to when we started, but at least 1 hour, at most 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls