Hide
9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 2nd Gen Noise Mill decks, how to counter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Murphy
msg tools
The one strategy I've found myself nearly unable to stop in the last month or two are the latest generation of Noise Mill decks, featuring cache.

Being able to install cache for 1, milling a card, then take 4 credits off of it (for grimoire) then aesop it for 3 more, then deja vu them back, etc. Noise used to be hurting for money but not anymore. And with so many more cheap viruses, it feels like unless you build an entire deck around wraparound (assuming he's only running ai breakers), lotus field and architect, you're going to get destroyed every time unless you get very very lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that so? Boy, I outta be playing this game some more. but alas ... timing and other constraints.

Or is it just local meta at your place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Murphy
msg tools
I've mostly played on OCTGN the last few weeks. I don't see a lot of Noise Mill decks, probably because they are largely un-fun for everyone since they are not very interactive. But I always lose to them unless I get very lucky.

I know that it's generally considered one of the most effective archetypes right now. I forgot to mention of course that I've had worse makes noise much less vulnerable to kill than he used to be, and of course Clot makes fast advance a tougher strategy against him as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epimer
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those decks are relatively slow and can struggle with remote pressure. Rushing agendas in a two or three ice remote will put the pressure right back on the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epimer wrote:
Those decks are relatively slow and can struggle with remote pressure. Rushing agendas in a two or three ice remote will put the pressure right back on the runner.

++
This has always been the way to deal with Noise, and not much has changed. While he can put out strong central pressure, he has a hard time reliably breaking into remotes. He's probably one of the best IDs against which to go for a 3/2 agenda score on turn 2 behind a single ice, for example. Start trying to score more aggressively and he'll be pulled in too many directions to get his later-game mill/money engine running effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously 'Cerebral Static' is good, but if Noise's plan is something like "Wait to get all the agendas in one big archive jamboree and end the game" then all currents become much better, because the runner doesn't ever intend to score an agenda fast to turn them off! With the high level of virus installation, you might also consider 'Housekeeping' as a Noise-troubling current that is also good against other decks.

Or just play 'Jinteki Biotech: Life Imagined'. It's never wasted because you simply pick another ID effect against a different runner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Murphy
msg tools
Perhaps my last game he just had a really great draw. In the first 10 cards, he had datasucker, 2 parasites, sure gamble, aesops, cache, deja vu and 2 clone chips. So he was trashing my early game ice the moment I rezzed them and running whenever he wanted, all while milling cards, scoring an early game 3/2 wasn't an option, and I couldn't accumulate any credits because he was trashing all my ice which I had to keep replacing.

I'm experimenting with Targeting Marketing, and choosing 'cache' when noise comes up which will at least help/make him think twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider adding Chronos Project. Scoring one of those will make Noise grind his teeth. Also works great on shapers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.