Shogun» Forums » Variants

Subject: Low Luck Influence Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roberto carbone
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
This is a great game. Sometimes Luck can punish a good strategy and can give the win to players with poor strategy.
The following variant, I tried a couple of times successfully, decreases luck influence.

Setup:

The Battle Tower
The tower must be loaded with an initial set of armies.
2 armies from each player and a total of 2 farmer armies are dropped together into the tower.
Armies that fall back out into the tower tray are not returned to their respective supplies. Falled back out armies are keeped in the tray.

Claiming Starting Provinces
The province cards are shuffled and placed in a face down stack near the board. Then the top 4 cards are turned face up.

Game:

Turno order
Determine Events phase is played before Planning action Phase

Revolts
The provisions table on the game board determines the number of provinces experiencing revolts, as well as the strength of the revolts.
Provinces experiencing revolts are the provinces in which there are the most revolt markers. If more provinces then the revolting provinces have the same number of revolt marker, the besieged player's left choose the provinces in which revolts occur.

After the first 4 rounds revolt markers are not removed from the provinces.

Comments:
Please post your comments and tell me if you like/try this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roberto carbone
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
Yesterday evening another session. The variant seems to work well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sometimes Luck can punish a good strategy and can give the win to players with poor strategy.

Yes, just like in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roberto carbone
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
p0pcult wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes Luck can punish a good strategy and can give the win to players with poor strategy.

Yes, just like in real life.

You're right. But when I play, I want a better world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I just got my copy this last weekend and have played it twice. I think it's one hell of a game, and keeps coming up in my mind as I get bored at work. One of my little mental drifts lead me to think about the element of luck in the game, and I agree there is a good deal of it, but I think that's a good thing.

The role of luck in Shogun is to create an exciting (at least to me) gamble that one can use. I can see somebody maybe playing things a little safe. Building their structures, mustering their forces, invading whatever hapless neutral territory may lie near their borders, etc... On the other hand if one is willing to take a risk they can do very well as far as gathering more gold/rice, but that comes with the chance that the peasants will take back their land, or whatever other consequence may befall your empire. This is what gets me going, and I don't think I would have as much fun with it if I knew what was coming next all the time, and most of it comes from the events not being revealed until after actions are selected.

Example: The new season is beginning, and I know the min. 4 rice event is in this year's mix. While I'm planning my actions for the season I have to ask myself "Do I want to collect from this territory that's only going to yield 2 rice if the min. 4 event doesn't come up, or do I want to play this 4 and get what's coming to me either way" If the event isn't turned up yet I can sweat a little over the decision, and that's fun for me. If the event is turned up beforehand and it's min. 4 rice, then you know everybody is going to play their low rice yields, and it's not as exciting to see that everybody made the exact same decision based on this information.

There are a lot of little scenarios I'm sure we could all come up with as an example of my side.

But then, I understand that my style of play really isn't for everybody. I happen to be a bit of a gambler, and thus get a little more excited by taking a risk that may or may not pay off. Like I read elsewhere about Wallenstein "Poor planning is part of the game." You have to look and think ahead about possible outcomes and consequences in case things don't always go your way. I don't think there is too much luck at all, and personally think it's just right.

Though you may have a point about peasant revolts and where they occur. There may be a better way to handle it yet, but we'll see what other ideas/variants may be posted.

Grandpa out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.