Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many of you boisterously claim grandiose victories over the Hive, flaunting you success in the forums.

I propose we collectively create a series of different ways to increase the difficulty for those who need it. I love getting crushed in co-ops and am looking forward to hearing your "Reasonable" Modifiers.

Here is a collection of Modifiers I've gathered already through the forums

Decrease Base HP: 5 / 10 per player

Increase Hive Enemy Count: +1 (Wave 2)/ +2 (Wave 3) per lane, per round

Lost Communications: Player hands are hidden, players may not tell each other what they have.

Limited Resources: Reduce number of Items in each stack by 1-4

Limited Availability: Reduce Available Items by 1-6

Psychogenics: Troops are Limited to equipping 1 copy of each card

Psychogenics: Troops equipped with these cards may NOT equip Grafting, Weapons or Armor

Grafting: Troops are Limited to equipping 1 copy of each card

Grafting: Troops equipped with these cards may NOT equip Psychogenics, Weapons or Armor

No Such Thing As Heroes: Play without Heroes &/or Experimental Items

Culling The Weak: Remove any number of Hive Units/Species from the Hive decks, making the more dangerous enemies appear more often.

Rare Species Breeding: Add additional bosses to the Hive Decks, possibly including both Foil and Non-foil ( Up To 5 Bosses Per Hive Deck )

Thick Hide: All Sources of Direct Damage Do Half Damage Rounded Up ( Storm Trooper / Hyperion / Bombs etc. )

Depleted Resources: Instead of adding the regular Xenosathem to your hand at the beginning of each turn, add a 1-Xenosathem during Wave 2, and a 3-Xenosathem during Wave 3.

Destroyed Refineries: The Hive have destroyed NorTec's Xenosathem refineries during their initial attack: Xenosathem cards cannot be burned to gain larger Xenosathems.

Big Tipper: Xenosathem provide no "Change" or "Virtual Currency". When you over pay for something, the remainder is lost.

We Thought It Was Dead: After each "Round" Shuffle any Bosses Encountered, Back into the Wave Deck before dealing out new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Increasing the hive count would make the game damn near impossible during the early rounds. I could see increasing the hive count for wave 2 or 3 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Korsheth wrote:
So many of you boisterously claim grandiose victories over the Hive, flaunting you success in the forums.

I'll speak for myself, it's completely random. I'd love to think my easy wins are driven by some grand strategy or I was exceedingly skillful in my play, but that's just not how this game works. It's a blind draw for the hive and a random mix of troops, loadout, and division. Occasionally a combo presents itself that is exceedingly powerful and there's not a whole lot to say about it. I want to stress these instances of power combos and easy hive draws are generally the exception and not something that happens every other game.

I mix in every boss for solo play, so 3 bosses per wave.

My youtube processing has been stuck at 90% for what feels like a day now. But in that solo gameplay video (that I will share asap), I shuffle in 9 bosses, and not a single one comes up in three waves. That and I start the game with 1 HQ hitpoint.

It just is what it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
Korsheth wrote:

I'll speak for myself, it's completely random. I'd love to think my easy wins are driven by some grand strategy or I was exceedingly skillful in my play, but that's just not how this game works. It's a blind draw for the hive and a random mix of troops, loadout, and division. Occasionally a combo presents itself that is exceedingly powerful and there's not a whole lot to say about it. I want to stress these instances of power combos and easy hive draws are generally the exception and not something that happens every other game.

I mix in every boss for solo play, so 3 bosses per wave.

My youtube processing has been stuck at 90% for what feels like a day now. But in that solo gameplay video (that I will share asap), I shuffle in 9 bosses, and not a single one comes up in three waves. That and I start the game with 1 HQ hitpoint.

It just is what it is...

Just to be clear, the initial line was for "flare" and theme!
I'm not calling anyone a liar, or insisting they are playing it wrong.

I've had my lucky and unlucky streaks in the game, it is indeed very random. But I hate an easy Co-op, thus I wanted a collaboration of difficulty modifiers to help push people a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
amen brother, I believe you are preaching to the choir thumbsup

Korsheth wrote:
Rare Species Breeding: Add additional bosses to the Hive Decks, possibly including both Foil and Non-foil ( Up To 6 Bosses Per Hive Deck )

I never thought about shuffling in 5 bosses per wave. That just sounds... unpleasant.

But I don't believe Onslaught came as non-foil cards. Or at least not my KS copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Well, calling it all "just luck" is really reductive. It's not just what's available and how good it is. It's also how you use it. It's knowing when to use your Storm Troopers to nuke targets and which ones to activate at which time. It's knowing when you save a troop and when to be happy with a trade. You have to feel out when you need to buy more troops and when you can skate by with a few troops with loads of equipment.

As far as the OP goes, I'm currently doing 3 bosses per wave as well and it's been rougher (and interesting; drawing all of the Wave 2 bosses in one round is about as lolzy as it gets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depleted Resources: Instead of adding the regular Xenosathem to your hand at the beginning of each turn, add a 1-Xenosathem during Wave 2, and a 3-Xenosathem during Wave 3.

Destroyed Refineries: The Hive have destroyed NorTec's Xenosathem refineries during their initial attack: Xenosathem cards cannot be burned to gain larger Xenosathems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CitizenFry wrote:

Thanks, I'll add these to the top!
I was thinking along the same lines, was going to add a Xeno challenge today as well.
Mine is ( Big Tipper ) you don't get virtual cash / change when spending Xenosathem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Klink
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe just play the base game without heroes, prototypes, or experimental divisions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klinktastic wrote:
Maybe just play the base game without heroes, prototypes, or experimental divisions?

Have the Heroes & Prototypes already on the list.
Didn't include Experimental Divisions because their are essentially expansions.

I've gotten 17 plays under my belt now and still haven't added either of my expansions to the game. Want to extend the replay ability of the game by having some fresh cards for when it becomes "samey"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
What about reducing the damage that grenade, stormtrooper, pulsar bomb, and science division do by 1?

EDIT: Wouldn't just removing the grenade from the game be enough?

Also, I don't think the item stacks should be replenished when deleted.
As with any game, being forced to utilize the less efficient options is always the better way to play. *opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.