Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On your profile, what's the difference between wanted and wishlist games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The want list is for games you want to get in BBG trades.
The wish list is just for yourself; a list of games you're interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
The want list is for games you want to get in BBG trades.
The wish list is just for yourself; a list of games you're interested in.

I'm struggling to see why these two lists should be different assuming someone has a game or two to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was a 'Needs' list. I've always had such problems distinguising my needs and wants

Just ignore me. I'm in a weird mood today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See it this way:
Wishlist is like a personal list where you jot down any interesting game that you'd like to check out later.
Want list is like a classified ad, actively advertising that you'll entretain offers for those games.
For example, I might be interested in an off-the-wall game, like Waldschattenspiel, and put it on my wishlist to keep it on sight. And yet, I may have no interest in actually acquiring it, given that I have no children to play it with. Yes, you might put it on your want list "just because", but it would be impolite to waste the time of other geeks who might offer it to you, given that you have no actual interest in getting it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
On your profile, what's the difference between wanted and wishlist games?

Nothing really.

Since there was a "want" list long, long before there was a "wish" list, you can never be sure that just because someone "wants" something that they ever want to trade for it. The two are redundant.

Had they been instituted at the same time, there could be a difference, but since they weren't, I treat them exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you go a game's entry, the 'want' checkbox is labeled:

Want in trade

Seems pretty clear what that list means: you are letting people know you want to trade for it.

The 'wishlist' is labeled:

Add to wishlist

with a dropdown box for choosing your level of interest:

1 - Must have
2 - Love to have
3 - Like to have
4 - Thinking about it
5 - Don't buy this

From the context, it seems clear that it is a list for tracking what games you are/might be interested in and tracking your interest level. It also gives other people an idea what to buy as a gift for you.

And yes, some people never have removed things from their 'Want to trade' list that they don't actually want to trade for when the 'Wishlist' was added (although in the 7 year history of BGG, there was just a 2 yr span where there was a want list but no wishlist) but it is a small percentage and treating them as the same doesn't help the problem for traders but makes it worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I freely confess that after minimal sleep last night I'm not firing on all cylinders, but....if a wishlist is a summary of potential acquisitions as opposed to the Want (to trade) list which is stuff you definitely want, what is the point of a catagory saying 'Don't buy this' in the wishlist.

Does this cater for the light fingered who can't justify wasting hard cash but just might go out and nick it? Or hopefully BGG will run a comp and they might win it.

Dear Father Christmas

I have been good this year so please DON'T bring me the following....

Its just plain weird and wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
... what is the point of a catagory saying 'Don't buy this' in the wishlist. ...

That is so when your wonderful BGG friends look at your wishlist to decide what to get you for a gift, they know you definately don't want that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
And we *still* can't get an option for "want to play", although most people use "Don't buy this for me" as a substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
And we *still* can't get an option for "want to play", although most people use "Don't buy this for me" as a substitute.

Well lets have a demo.

Come on Aldie, ditch the don't buy on the pull down and replace with 'Want to play'

Maybe a petition.....or dare I?....report a concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Come on Aldie, ditch the don't buy on the pull down and replace with 'Want to play'

No, please don't. If you want to add a "Want to play" checkbox, go ahead, but I use "Don't buy this for me" to mean DON'T BUY THIS FOR ME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Please don't. I use it for games I''m interested in but either (a) have ordered; (b) have pledged for; or (c) have downloaded but not printed (yet). Hence, for games I wish to have but don't want anyone to buy me (as the label states).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
I wish there was a 'Needs' list. I've always had such problems distinguising my needs and wants

Just ignore me. I'm in a weird mood today.

You are a Geek after my own heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
what is the point of a catagory saying 'Don't buy this' in the wishlist.

Because I give my wishlist to my non-game-savvy family members as a gift list, I put the "don't buy this" label on anything that they would get frustrated looking for--like out-of-print games or games only available in Europe. I also use it for games that I think are too expensive to ask others to buy me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon wrote:

No, please don't. If you want to add a "Want to play" checkbox, go ahead, but I use "Don't buy this for me" to mean DON'T BUY THIS FOR ME.

Oh for the day when I'd have to worry about people buying me the wrong games...

*Dream Sequence Music*

Roads & Boats again? Well, none of my other copies are still in the shrink wrap. Ok, I'll accept it. Next time, however, you should really pay attention to my 'Don't Buy This for Me' list.

*Dream Sequence Music*

Wake up, Scotty. Wake up. You're late for work again! I told you not to stay up late writing that GeekList. You're sure to be fired this time. We'll have to sell three more Carcassone expansions just to put food on the table this week!

*Zoom in on Distraught Scotty*

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.