Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Attila Felsen
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
mb
What is meant by this statement: "This card is discarded after US play of The China Card."?

If the Formosa Resolution is in effect at the time the US plays the China Card, the resolution is canceled (the card has already been removed from play), and no discarding is required.

If the Formosa Resolution is not in effect, it can be in 1 of 4 places: (1) already discarded, (2) draw pile, (3) US hand, or (4) USSR hand.

What happens in each case if the US plays the China Card? My literal guesses:
(1) nothing happens, card is already in the discard pile;
(2) search through the draw pile, move the Formosa Resolution card to the discard pile, and reshuffle the draw pile;
(3) US must immediately discard the Formosa Resolution card (no event, but available for future pick/play after reshuffle); and
(4) USSR must immediately discard the Formosa Resolution card (no event, but available for future pick/play after reshuffle).

Can the US play Formosan Resolution as an event after US has ever played The China Card?

Should the sentence ("This card is discarded after US play of The China Card.") be removed from the Formosan Resolution card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If played as an event, or triggered by the USSR by playing the card for OPs, the text remains in effect until the US plays the China Card, regardless of where or what the China Card has previously done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Felsen
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
mb
My question regards the word "discarded." Discard does not mean remove from game, but place in the discard pile. It doesn't seem to make sense for the Formosan Resolution card to make any mention of being "discarded" following US play of The China Card. It seems as if the card should say it is canceled after US play of The China Card (which would mirror The China Card's language).

Thank you for a quick reply--it does answer the question if the US can play the Formosan Resolution after the US has played The China Card.

Your reply just doesn't tell me what to do with the Formosan Resolution card if the US plays The China card and the Formosan Resolution has not been played as an event yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, as the US player, you intend to play the China Card and Formosan, then play the China Card first. That way, when you play Formosan afterwards it comes into effect.

Later on, when the China Card comes back, you need to think carefully about whether you play the China Card at that point because if you do it then causes Formosan to be cancelled and removed from the game.

Before the Formosan event occurs, the US can play China Card and it has no effect Formosan.

For clarification, the card should probably have said removed rather than discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Felsen
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the reply. I agree with everything you said (not that it makes any difference whether I agree or not). I have always played it as if it said canceled by US play of The China Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a card with an asterisk so it's removed from the game when its event occurs. It's also underlined, so it has lasting effects and you're supposed to keep it face up on the table to remind you of the effects even though it's removed from the game, (can't be played again).

When it's cancelled you put it with the other removed events. The use of the word discard is not precise I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.