20 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Group Deployment, Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi C
msg tools
mbmb
I saw someone saying you have to deploy all figures in group at one deployment point, and that you can not split them up among different deployment zones, but...
I can not find anything to support this. The RRG section on deployment says
Quote:
When the location for a figure is not specified, it is deployed as close as possible to any active deployment point...

and about optional deployment,
Quote:
"he deploys all figures in that group to any active deployment point."

I feel if you could not split figures among different deployment points, the second one would read,
'he deploys all figures in that group to any single active deployment point' or say 'any one active deployment point'
What do you think?

(I have been splitting the group among deployment points. A rebel player in my group is playing imperial in another campaign, and has not said, "you cant do that!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he says you can't, it's up to him to prove it. The rules don't restrict you, so IMHO, you can do it. (It's how I play too, splitting groups up as much as you want)

Here are the rules in the Learn To Play guide:

Quote:
To deploy a group, the Imperial player chooses a Deployment card
in his hand and spends {threat} equal to the card’s deployment cost.
Then he places the card faceup on the table and places a number of
corresponding figures on the map equal to the
card’s group limit. These figures are placed as close
as possible to a green deployment point shown
in the mission’s diagram
. This includes the space
containing the deployment point itself.

emphasis added

It states "as close as possible to a green deployment point." It doesn't say "the same green deployment point." And then the rules you quoted from the RRG have the same implications.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
msg tools
Maniacalraven wrote:

Quote:

To me, that reads that all must be deployed the same point. It says 'all' so it means that they are to be treated as a group or single entity for deployment purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I take the
Quote:
he deploys all figures in that group
to mean that if you deploy a storm trooper group, you have to deploy all three figures, you can't hold one back to deploy in a later round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I read this the same way. Single deployment point used per group deployed unless specified otherwise by the mission.

I wouldn't stop anyone if their group doesn't mind relaxing that restriction, as the rule does have some ambiguity, but I believe the intent is they are deployed together and that's the way I play.

It would be too easy to hide one unit of a group away from the others, otherwise.

Of course, if at least one (but not all) of the group is dead, it is still possible to reinforce to a deployment point nowhere near the rest of the group to get the benefits of a split group, but that's just how things go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I read it in the other way.

For each figure in a group, deploy the figure to any active deployment point.

This is analogous to reinforcement. You reinforce to any active deployment point, not to the one closest to the remaining figures in a group. If you reinforce many figures of the same group, they don't need to go to the same deployment point.

Not that it usually matters much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the rules are ambiguous. Neither method is fully supported nor ruled out by the stated rules. Personally, I also feel that it gives the Imperial player a little too much power to be able to do that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I also feel that it gives the Imperial player a little too much power to be able to do that...

Waiting one round will still allow to deploy to another deployment point with not that much penalty.

Another ambiguous thing that came to mind about this is two regular Stormtrooper groups in initial groups. Because it is not indicated on the map which group each figure belongs to, you can assign the troopers into the two groups arbitrarily. It might be the difference between being able to reinforce or lose a group completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deploying all of the group at the same point makes sense when they come into play at once (it makes sense for a group to arrive in a tight formation/together), but for reinforcements you should be able to use any deployment point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
deploying all of the group at the same point makes sense when they come into play at once (it makes sense for a group to arrive in a tight formation/together)

When there are heroes with Blast and Cleave it may not make sense to arrive in a tight formation. The rebel side activates first.

However, deploying a lot of figures at once lets some of them go extra spaces for free, which is sometimes a consideration.

There is no thematical justification either. A single deployment point: they are dropped off from a vehicle or plane. Any point: they have been signaled and come out of hiding or have just arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Clipper wrote:
I also feel that it gives the Imperial player a little too much power to be able to do that...

Waiting one round will still allow to deploy to another deployment point with not that much penalty.

Doing that doesn't give you a group that exists in two places at once, unless the Rebels killed a unit of the group and you paid extra to reinforce it.

Quote:
Another ambiguous thing that came to mind about this is two regular Stormtrooper groups in initial groups. Because it is not indicated on the map which group each figure belongs to, you can assign the troopers into the two groups arbitrarily. It might be the difference between being able to reinforce or lose a group completely.

You're wrong here. The map does indicate which figures belong to which group. They have gray and black (and red for Elite) rings surrounding the figure locations on the map to show where each group starts. The ring colours are even explained on page 2 of the Campaign Guide in the Map Diagram section...

Edit: And the figures of each initial group in the game are always clustered somewhat nearby each other, as if they deployed together...

Edit 2: I just want to make something clear, just in case. I have no problem with deploying different groups to different points in the same deployment. I'm just saying I prefer to not split the figures of the same group between two or more points when deployed (not reinforced). I also think it's fine to allow you to split the group, but ensure that's OK with your game group first, as I think the intention of the designers is that you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You're wrong here. The map does indicate which figures belong to which group. They have gray and black (and red for Elite) rings

Wow. I knew my eyes are not the best anymore, but I really have not noticed that, so thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Makos
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
deploying all of the group at the same point makes sense when they come into play at once (it makes sense for a group to arrive in a tight formation/together), but for reinforcements you should be able to use any deployment point.

That's exactly how we play it. Thematically all 3 stormtroopers in one deployment group should arrive together, but when reinforcements are called they can come in at any other point. Works for us, and can be a pain for the Imperial player, but seems fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Clipper wrote:
You're wrong here. The map does indicate which figures belong to which group. They have gray and black (and red for Elite) rings

Wow. I knew my eyes are not the best anymore, but I really have not noticed that, so thanks!

Incidentally, it took me a while to notice that the first time myself. I was strategising for the mission from Luke's Ally Pack, thinking how awesome it would be if I could have one figure from the left group be on the right. I did think I had to be wrong, and I went to the extreme of checking other missions, seeing if there were ever uncluttered groups. Eventually, I noticed two Imperial Officers which started close to each other and I noticed the difference in colour, then found the rule.

Feeling bad about my initial plan failing, I considered splitting deployment of a group between multiple zones. Finding the rules written the way they were is when I first decided to not allow splitting during deployment of a single group. Sort of the opposite path this thread has travelled, logic-wise, oddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanzén
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deploying a group to diffrent points feels like you are trying to "game" the game, seeking out perhaps unintenioal lopholes.
It is in my opnion very clear that you deploy the entire group to the same point. Deeper analasys of wordings etc is not necessery many times and just leads to poor stuations rather than just playing the game as it stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I see the difference between 2 Stormtroopers 'arriving' at different locations than 3 Stormtroopers, both mechanically and thematically. The rules for each (deployment and reinforcement) are both similarly written, using the same terminology for which deployment point to use. IMHO, if you want to have deployments all at the same group, then you should have reinforcements do the same.

We play the Imperial can spread them out as he pleases. Looks like one for the FAQ.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm not sure I see the difference between 2 Stormtroopers 'arriving' at different locations than 3 Stormtroopers, both mechanically and thematically. The rules for each (deployment and reinforcement) are both similarly written, using the same terminology for which deployment point to use. IMHO, if you want to have deployments all at the same group, then you should have reinforcements do the same.

Ah, but they are written differently:
RRG - Deployment wrote:
then he deploys all figures in that group to any active deployment point.

RRG - Reinforcement wrote:
Then he places one figure from that group as close as possible to any active deployment point.

The fact that Reinforcement is done one figure at a time while Deployment is done one group at a time is a key difference. The text also says you deploy all the figures to 'any deployment point' rather than 'any deployment points'.

Quote:
Looks like one for the FAQ.

I guess so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Maniacalraven wrote:
I saw someone saying you have to deploy all figures in group at one deployment point, and that you can not split them up among different deployment zones, but...
I can not find anything to support this. The RRG section on deployment says
Quote:
When the location for a figure is not specified, it is deployed as close as possible to any active deployment point...

Quote:

I feel if you could not split figures among different deployment points, the second one would read,
'he deploys all figures in that group to any single active deployment point' or say 'any one active deployment point'
What do you think?

Point is singular, points is plural.

The language states "any active deployment point", singular, meaning all units in a group should be deployed to one point.

If it was possible to deploy to multiple deployment areas it should read "any active deployment points", plural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone found any clarification on this? The general consensus of this thread is that you cannot deploy to multiple deployment points. However, idk, after reading the Rules Reference guide, I think you can.

When the location for a figure’s deployment is not specified, it
is deployed as close as possible to any active deployment point
shown in the mission’s diagram, chosen by the Imperial player.
This includes the space containing the deployment point.

To me that would mean if there are two green available deployment points you can put say 2 stormies on one and one stormie on the other. How are people playing this?

P.S Can you tell I am sick of getting Fenn blasted to the face?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See below.

I also asked about the Mission Briefing of Brace for Impact. (End of mission conditions.)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
A token is discarded during the round when a Rebel Trooper is defeated, but reinforcements arrive at the end of the round. This means that if at least one Rebel Trooper is defeated during any round, and if all of the Rebel Troopers in play are defeated on the following round, the mission will end, because there are no Rebel Troopers on the map and no neutral mission tokens left, although there are Rebel Trooper figures lined up to appear at the end of the round.

This means that under optimal circumstances, the imperial player needs to defeat only 4 Rebel Troopers to win the mission. (One during round X, and 3 during round X+1.)

Paul Winchester, FFG wrote:
Hi Pasi,

Your interpretation of Brace for Impact is correct.

And yes, during a deployment, all figures from a group must deploy to the same deployment point.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.