Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Goad
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at a local convention and saw a couple guys setting up and looking for more players and decided to join in. They were going through the rules and how they explained everything was very confusing. It took us awhile to discover that the dice were misprinted. I think it took us longer to set up and figure out the rules than it did to play the game. It was pretty rough for the first couple of guys and when it came to me I asked to see the rules. Took a glance over and had it pretty much figured out and had to guide the rest through their turns. The three guys I played this with did not care for it at all. I, on the other hand, could see this being fun.

The main problem that I found, aside from the messed of dice, was during set-up. When we passed out the tiles for everyone I only ended up with two colors. Everyone was rolling for their colors so when it was my turn I could not move my ship unless I was able to get my captain ahead of it. I think my ship only went around one and a half times during the whole game, which made stopping tiles to play very difficult. For me this could be a game breaker. One player may get screwed for the whole game while everyone else gets to use lots of abilities.

I was actually able to come in second only because one player dropped out and I was able to play a couple schemes from my hand that gave me lots of infamy. If I didn't have those schemes I would only have got a couple of infamy points. I also found it very difficult to get pirates, but I feel that this was sort of made up by a variety of ways to score infamy through schemes.

As long as you did not get screwed in the initial set-up I could see this as being a fun game. Go around and around and use tiles abilities to acquire different things. I'm going to have to try this again knowing how to play and that the dice are wrong. Just make sure you don't play with people that get easily confused by rules. The rules fairly simple, but a few errors made it more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should start with one port of each color, maybe I am not understanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Everyone gets one tile of each color at the beginning. As to where you place them can be either random around your center starting tile or you can do a set placement. Then the two loot tiles are place at 2 and 6 o'clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Goad
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would explain why it was so difficult. When you let people who are not good with rules read the rules then you're going to have a bad time. I'm going to have to play this again for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.