3 Posts

Sky Tango» Forums » Rules

Subject: Play at End of Game - Diffference in Z-Man Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules and the Z-Man rules differ as to how player play at the end of the game.

The original rules say the following:
Quote:
If a player can not draw any hand cards because the draw stack is used up, the game ends.

The other players may play their hand cards one after the other, i.e. put down, clear away or even destroy themselves – but not draw any more!

The player who could not draw cards has no more plays. The other players seem to be able to continue to play (but not draw), although the order is not clear. I don't know what happens if a player plays a card with an animal and has no other cards: can he clear away, or does he stop when he's unable to draw? Can a player who's played his last card then clear away? Normally you cannot clear away with an empty hand.

The Z-Man rules say the following:
Quote:
If a player cannot draw any cards because the draw stack is empty (either at the beginning of her turn or after playing an animal card as her last card), this marks the start of the last round of play. The player first finishes her turn.

Each player then gets one more turn, i.e. put down card(s), clear away one or more rows, or even do a total eclipse – but they may not draw cards! After this, the game ends.

The player who could not draw cards gets to finish his turn. I think that means only that, if she were just starting a turn, she could still clear away. If she had played an animal card, then I think she is done, because you cannot clear away in a turn in which you played a card.

But here the rules says that each player (not just the other players) get one more turn. I suppose that a player who starts her turn without cards could still clear away. This could include the player who ended the game, since the Z-Man rules say that each player gets one more turn - not just the other players, as in the original rules.

If, in one of these last turns, a player plays an animal card and has no more cards, I guess they stop. If a player starts such a turn with no cards and cannot clear away, must she do a total eclipse? Even the player whose earlier turn ended the game? I wonder.

Obviously, being able to do a total eclipse at the end of the game - when no one can draw any more cards - can be a big plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
my copy of the z-man rules reads "each OTHER player then gets one more turn.." (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
The player who could not draw cards has no more plays. The other players seem to be able to continue to play (but not draw), although the order is not clear. I don't know what happens if a player plays a card with an animal and has no other cards: can he clear away, or does he stop when he's unable to draw? Can a player who's played his last card then clear away? Normally you cannot clear away with an empty hand.

If a player plays a card with an animal, and then cannot follow up with playing another card, they Total Eclipse. They do NOT just stop their turn. They do NOT get to clear away. They Total Eclipse.

Quote:

The player who could not draw cards gets to finish his turn. I think that means only that, if she were just starting a turn, she could still clear away. If she had played an animal card, then I think she is done, because you cannot clear away in a turn in which you played a card.

As stated above, if you play an animal card, and can't follow up with another card, you must Total Eclipse. If you can't draw any cards, this triggers the end game condition. Obviously, if you trigger the end game condition, you have NO cards in your hand. You then finish your turn. What this means is that you play a card or clear cards. If you can't clear cards, and you can't play a card (because you don't have any), you must Total Eclipse. This is beneficial for you!

THEN, EVERY player OTHER than you gets ONE more turn. If they happen to Total Eclipse, which makes a new discard pile, you do NOT shuffle that deck and put it in a draw pile to draw. You do NOT draw cards. They simply Total Eclipse and that is the end of their turn. This is beneficial to that player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.