GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,256 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Die Macher» Forums » General

Subject: Just what does Die Macher Mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was something like The Machine as in political Machine. But, somewhere it looked like Macher was german for boss. Is that a reference to political bosses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Guantanamo wrote:
I thought it was something like The Machine as in political Machine. But, somewhere it looked like Macher was german for boss. Is that a reference to political bosses?

IIRC it means "The Maker", referring I believe to the individuals who are working behind the scenes of the election to manipulate the populace and the media (ie. the players) to "make" a government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep - second vote for "the Makers"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the English version of the game should have been called The Maker, but what do I know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify a small point here:

To be a macher means to be one who creates change, or exerts power.

It's somewhat difficult to make the phrase "Die Macher" into a coherent phrase that expresses that idea in English though...I've seen some people translate it as "The Power Brokers", but that makes it sound like a game about wall street!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
I've seen some people translate it as "The Power Brokers"

That's what I've heard as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maker. In English, we would use the term Kingmaker. Now that could confuse matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like Die Macher, because it sounds exotic, I know what it means, AND I'm NOT responsible for sales of the game. Publisher options:

1) You change the name to make it MORE accessible to non-gamers, and potentially lose out on Die Macher fans, or

2) Keep it the same to ride the notoriety of previous incarnations, but lose out on casual gamers who don't buy it cuz they don't know German.

BTW, How many "casual" gamers are likely to buy and enjoy Die Macher? Hmmm? Two...? Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses

I like Die Macher. Didn't even think about it in the framework of changing it's name. Just was wondering. (Also wanted to refer to it in an e-mail without mentioning the actual name). My wife had enough German in college to get her in trouble and said it was either Maker or Machine. Machine sounded more interesting to me, but I figured I'd look it up on-line. Tried four translation/dictionary sites. Three didn't give a translation and one came up with Boss. Didn't figure it was very good way of going about it, so I figured the Geeks would know. Hince the post.

Wouldn't dream of changing the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was describing this game to a friend of mine who is a professor of German history. She told me that "Die Macher" (yes, "The Maker") was the nickname of a powerful German politician of the late 1970s and early 1980s. I forget his name now, but can ask her if people would like.

A better contemporary American translation, then, might be:

"Die Macher" = "Karl Rove"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe you could also use the expression "Spin Doctors" as an English expression...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
Maybe you could also use the expression "Spin Doctors" as an English expression...

I guess I think of a Spin Doctor as a person who works for Die Macher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't the Spin Doctors release the single "Two Princes" or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm still trying to figure out who Macher IS and why everyone wants him to die! Poor little feller!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out who Macher IS and why everyone wants him to die! Poor little feller!

"So why is it written on your chest 'Die Bart Die'?"

"Haha, no, that's german. The, Bart, The"

(everybody laughs)

"Nobody who speaks german could be evil!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding (probably incorrect) going back a long time, a better if less literal translation was "The Fixers" .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Babb
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a game of politics. Are we completely sure that "Die Macher" doesn't mean "Bald-faced Liar"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the particular person referenced may have been Helmut Schmidt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Schmidt

"The government of the city-state of Hamburg is known as the Senate, and from 1961 Schmidt was the Innensenator, that is Minister of the Interior. He gained the reputation as a Macher (doer)—someone who gets things done regardless of obstacles—by his effective management during the emergency caused by the 1962 flood. Schmidt used all means at his disposal to allieviate the situation, even when that meant overstepping his legal authority, including federal police and army units (ignoring the German constitution's prohibition on using the army for "internal affairs;" a clause excluding disasters was not added until 1968). Describing his actions, Schmidt said, 'I have not been put in charge of these units; I have taken charge of them!'

It would become the leading characteristic associated with him during his entire political career, best symbolised by his well known remark that 'People who have a vision should go see a doctor'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I was describing this game to a friend of mine who is a professor of German history. She told me that "Die Macher" (yes, "The Maker") was the nickname of a powerful German politician of the late 1970s and early 1980s. I forget his name now, but can ask her if people would like.

I'm not German, I just studied it in college.

But if he was male, it would be "Der Macher". If he was female, it would be "Die Macherin". The only way you can get to "Die Macher" is to start out male and make it plural. So it has to refer to a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
der Macher = the Doer.
die Macher = the Doers.

-macher is used on a lot of German words to indicate a maker or "doer"... thus professions.

der Kerzenmacher = candlemaker (Kerzen = candles)
der Pfeilmacher = fletcher (Pfeil = arrow)
der Schuhmacher = shoemaker/cobbler
der Wahlmacher = Campaigner (Wahl=election)
der Buchmacher = bookmaker (buch=book)
der Geigenmacher = Violin maker (Geigen = violins/fiddles)

It's definitely a plural.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
not that it matters a lot, but you wont find the some of your "macher" in german:
candlemaker = Kerzenzieher (ziehen = draw)
Pfeilmacher = fletcher ( Hmm, I never heard of a job called Pfeilmacher, I think they would usually be called Bogenbauer or Bogner, but this referes to bows, not to arrows)
der Schuhmacher = shoemaker: that´s correct
der Wahlmacher = Campaigner (Never heard of a Wahlmacher either. I think there is no proper word in german, but it´s most definitely not Wahlmacher. Closest thing would be Aktivist.)
der Buchmacher = bookmaker (buch=book) (Buchmacher is not someone who makes books. It is someone who accept bets on horses and the like.)
Violin maker = Geigenbauer (bauen = build)

And yes, it´s a plural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the closest equivalent slang term in English would be

The Rainmaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.