Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been doing some cleanup in the database regarding game descriptions an links. Here are some proposed guidelines I have for submitting new links to the database.

What to submit as a link

-Independent reviews -- lots of game groups write their own reviews for games, so others' opinions are great.

-Rules (foreign or domestic) -- It is problematic under the copyright and the BGG Creative Commons license to upload rule sets to BGG, but if the publisher or designer of a game has posted them on their page (or if an independent outfit has published them with permission) then there should be no problem for us to link to them.

-Additional information from the publisher, print-and-play components, variants, and additional content.

What not to submit as a link

- Cross links to other related games : Since we've implemented the Wiki system, these cross-links are unnecessary. Now any user can add a link to a game's description to reference other games. Especially linear links within the game description (e.g. "this game is a lot like Die Macher"). Same goes for expansions or base-games.

- Links to designer/publisher webpages : Since we've implemented Designer and Publisher pages, each game designed by a designer or printed by a publisher does not need a link to that designer or publisher webpage. E.g. all games printed by Rio Grande do not need a link to http://www.riograndegames.com. Additionally, links to the publisher's product page should be used with discretion, as some merely re-hash the information that is present on BGG.

-Retail links : Since the advent of BGG, several new retailers have come onto the scene, and with exception to marketing partnerships with retailers, we shouldn't promote any one retailer over another.

Grey area

- PBEM links, Online play links : I'd like to see these in the game descriptions (e.g. Play online at [ link ], [ link ], and [ link ]. Part of the reason that I think this would work better is that all users can edit descriptions under the Wiki system, but only admins can remove links. This way, online-play places that have changed addresses, gone dark, or no longer offer a game can be edited out by the user who finds the problem.

-Home pages for games : This is another one that I think would work well within the game description, since in my experience of working through the database, these pages have a tendency to go dark or have their links switched a couple of years after the game's release. Once again, users could kill or edit dead links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.