Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McGhee
Canada
Walkerton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see this game was 3-5 players as we've played 2 player Kingsburg for ages. We found the two player rules for Kingsburg work nicely for this game as well.

TWO PLAYER VARIANT
Each player selects a colour and takes all dice, discs and tokens of that colour.

Choose two of the remaining player colours and take out 3 dice and one coloured disc from one and 2 dice and one coloured disc from the other.

Return all other player components to the box.

Set up the game as per the rule book.

Before players role their dice, roll the 5 alternate players dice. Group the dice by colour and place each set on the Old One whose number equals the total value shown on the dice. In the case of a tie place the set of 3 dice first then split the set of two and place each die individually. If there is still a tie set aside any dice that cannot be placed. Do not place any of these dice on X.

Players then roll simultaneously and determine player order. Include ALL dice rolled when determining player order and mark with the corresponding coloured disc on the board track. If a human player is 1st or 2nd gain sanity as per the original rules. If the first two spaces are taken by the alternate colours then no sanity is gained.

Players then place their dice according to the original rules.
They may not invoke an Old One (other than X) that already has dice on it unless they have a spell or location effect that states otherwise.

Repeat at the beginning of every round until the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to try this weekend.. thanks. Has anyone tested it out? Does it work well like the Kingsburg one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

So I guess they never gave you an official variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this variant today with one tweak. We didn't include the dummy player dice when factoring in first player. Instead we just blocked off the first space of the initiative track so only one person can gain sanity each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
So the 2 player Kingsburg rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
So the 2 player Kingsburg rule?

Plus blocking off the first space on the initiative track which is very important to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McCulley
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the two player scenario released at GenCon if anyone is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a scan of the scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a two player variant, but Dagon removes all of the Elder Gods 12 and higher? That takes a lot out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powerhouse wrote:
I love the idea of a two player variant, but Dagon removes all of the Elder Gods 12 and higher? That takes a lot out of the game.

Just use the Kingburg 2-player variant, it works perfect with one simple addition: block the first spot on the initiative track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Tried this variant today with one tweak. We didn't include the dummy player dice when factoring in first player. Instead we just blocked off the first space of the initiative track so only one person can gain sanity each round.

I just played a round with the dummies counting towards turn order, and I think I'll try it again the way you've suggested. I think both are likely to work pretty well - the extra chaos of the turn order adds a nice bit of unpredictability, but the known odds of getting a +1 sanity boost will probably be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls