Popular Tags: [View All]
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my youngest wakes up this morning and sees the aftermath of the bloodletting I experienced on the banks of the Trebbia the night before. Sensing that I am ripe for the taking, he wants a game. But he wants an even fight, so he picks the Carthaginians at Zama. Great. I even offer to ride him to school so we can finish.

I draw two lefts, a mounted and two lines. Piece of cake I think smugly. Spend my lefts pushing out my cavalry and organizing my line. He pokes at the flanks and gets his warriors decimated. Another left by me and my mediums press him to the back. He counters with his mediums. His flank attacks are rebuffed and a leadership +3 applied to the left decimate his warriors and cavalry. I'm up 3-0. And now I am sitting on two line commands and a clash of shields. My heart soars.

Then he sends in his elephants and moves up his heavies. As unpredictable as elephants are, he is quickly down 5-2. But suddenly I am faced with a heavy, medium and an elephant on my left. So I play Clash of Shields before I am ready. And the dice gods rumble. I take down the elephant. 6-2. I roll 6 dice with my mediums/general and only deal a glancing blow. The Carthaginian heavies battle back, do minimal damage and then the gods laugh. Two helmets on the leadership casualty check. Laelius is gone. 6-3.

I belatedly order a line command and my lights do no real damage. The Carthaginians attempt simultaneous flanking movements and my left fails but leaves his left badly weakened. 6-4. I press the right with my new Numidian allies in hopes of eliminating the tattered Carthaginian left. Not only does his light survive, it battles back (why the hell didn't he evade), does damage to the African horsemen and then proceeds to slay Masinissa with another two helmets. The kid can't sit still now. 6-5.

He plays double time and his auxilia come crashing forward. I smile. Though it will be close, I will defeat the upstart with a line command on my next turn. Except that my center are weary from their struggle with the elephants. A light unit falls. 6-6. Two swords and a blue kill off the mediums with Scipio. 6-7. And a leadership casualty check takes his life. 6-8.

The kid made the bus. And my nose is still bleeding 3 hours later.

Edited for grammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was some comeback! I feel your pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome! How old is your son the general? I play with my six year old on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the dastardly dice roller is eleven. A true gamer. Cut his teeth on Battle Cry, though he actually does better with the Euros — seems to grasp the mechanics and varied scoring opportunities instantly. I play most of my C&C: Ancients games with my 13-year old who digs the strategy and can dance around the board until he's ready to strike. This one, on the other hand, charges head-first into confrontation. The different approaches makes it interesting playing them back to back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well!!! Great Report!!! I'm starting with my 8 ears old in M44 with only the section cards (the language is also an issue here) and the little guy grasps what he needs to do instantly!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. I play with my 10 yo, and though language is also an issue here, there are not so many cards and he knows already what they allow to do just by reading the title.

But we played the few first battles with the cards on the table, and I told him each turn the choices he could make. He's ready to play C&C:A any time, but hard to get him back into M44...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those leaders must have partied a little too hard the night before... some bad luck on those rolls right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.