United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a full Crisis 2-player setup from the rule book - 13 Super Villains and 13 Crises. We used Impossible Mode Villains and Crisis Super Heroes along with a full main deck. We're both gamers and have played the core sets before, so we knew what we were doing.

The game took a little over 3 hours. Overall it was fun, but I will definitely try and make a custom deck and play with less Villains/Crises in order to shorten the game. Also, we still had 1/4th of the main deck left, so we were never really in danger of losing. Making a custom deck will also help in that aspect.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to improve the Crisis mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours? Wow. I got DC Deck Builder because I wanted a fast Deck Building game alternative to DC Legendary.

Did you see the variants posted by Matt in one of the threads here? He suggested removing the number of crisis and super villain cards to shorten down the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Indeed.
To shorten play time, reduce the main deck to exactly 100 cards, then use 3 fewer Crises and S-Vs than the rulebook says.

Also, Crisis 2 plays faster, as there are fewer Crises that require card coordination.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Li
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I hear ya,.. my first one lasted 6 hours ha ha.

The official suggested modification that Matt mentions is good. But def. can play around with it, like adding less Crisis cards, like only 4 Crisis cards into the Main Deck or something.

I've been working on various ideas for new cards and mechanics that work for the game that could be great expansions i'm really excited about. I spend over 6 hours a day on it ha ha. Wish I could be working on it officially, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
One of the key reasons we have seen games take too long is that players insist upon playing out every turn, and seeing how much Power they can generate.

In Crisis, you are often better off passing your turn or taking out a single Villain, until you are ready to beat the Crisis.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a 2 player game with the suggestion of a 100 card deck and 3 less villians (10 in this case.) Took a little over 90 minutes.

I really do love the Crisis game mode, but I need to find a way to make the game shorter (around 60 minutes) so I can get other people to play it with me more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
I improved it by selling it immediately! I love the base game because it plays so quickly...and you want to play it again right away. Crisis took a great game and turned it into a time suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinako wrote:
Just did a 2 player game with the suggestion of a 100 card deck and 3 less villians (10 in this case.) Took a little over 90 minutes.

I really do love the Crisis game mode, but I need to find a way to make the game shorter (around 60 minutes) so I can get other people to play it with me more easily.

I say keep shortening it more. Having 10 Super Villains means you have 10 Crisis card. A crisis deck to me after a few plays is just adding onto the Super Villain total count (so 20 in your case), just with more specific criterias to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Full Crisis mode for two players with no modifications usually takes us around two hours, unless we get one of those super-terrible crisis / super-villain combos that just kills us for a while--then the time can increase significantly.

There are turns where we truly do just pass and not play anything or just play one card, especially when up against the Countdown where we need to fill the Lineup with different-cost cards. Or play just enough heroes to trigger Martian Manhunter and let my teammate put his Man of Steel back on top of his deck

We, however, don't mind the time issue. We only pull out Crisis when 1) we want to play WITH each other rather than AGAINST each other and 2) we have the time to devote to the game. Because Crisis can be mixed in or taken out, we play the normal game when time is short and Crisis when we have the appropriate amount of time to devote to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Constantine
msg tools
Matt Hyra wrote:
In Crisis, you are often better off passing your turn or taking out a single Villain, until you are ready to beat the Crisis.

When the best move(s) you can make, involves you not playing or participating in the game, there's a problem with the design of your game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.