Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Thomas
United States
Alma
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually check boardgamenews.com on my way to the geek every morning, and I've really noticed a serious drop off in the updates and news since Essen. It seems all they are posting is columnists, but the game-related news is non-existent on their site.

For me, I'm more interested in the news than the columnists, but I'm very surprised to see no new news in 11 days, and only two pieces of news since Oct. 15.

Anybody know what's going on?

PT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Rick Thornquist explained it on there somewhere. He was in Germany for a week following Essen, got sick when he got back, and then went to BGG.con. I'm sure it will pick up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell Rick took some time off after Essen to take a break. From his editorials it sounds like he came back sick. No doubt with the Essen Preview and then going to Essen he must be exhausted. Heck, if I was him I would never want to hear if another game was released again!

I will say however that I miss the updates as it's the first thing I do each morning. The break also makes me realize how much work he does put into it. Please come back Rick! (oh... and feel better)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rick has said he spent an extra week in Germany after Essen.
Then he went to BGG.com, for which he was going to post no reports, just have fun.

I would expect his regular reports will return soon. Also, I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was working on updating his Gone Cardboard page too.

I've noticed his Gmail chat has been turned off for a while, with the note "Recuperating After Trip, Back from Germany."

If he's still taking a (deserved) break maybe he'll at least post a note telling us BGNews addicts when to expect him back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If you listen to the new dice tower (#75) on boardgamenews, you'll hear a segment from Rick about his time at BGG.con

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
pwt1997 wrote:
I usually check boardgamenews.com on my way to the geek every morning, and I've really noticed a serious drop off in the updates and news since Essen. It seems all they are posting is columnists, but the game-related news is non-existent on their site.

For me, I'm more interested in the news than the columnists, but I'm very surprised to see no new news in 11 days, and only two pieces of news since Oct. 15.

Paul, in case you haven't seen the news elsewhere, Rick has decided to retire from covering game news. He was going to shut down Boardgame News, but I volunteered to take over the site, and he accepted. My first day on the job was Monday, Nov. 20, and although I've posted a couple of news items and updated Gone Cardboard, it will take me a few days to get up to speed.

Rick's retirement note: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

My first column: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, thanks so much for doing this. The site is a great resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
*Sigh*. What is it with foreigners and the Netherlands...? Here's a wonderful opportunity to paint a decent and rosy picture of this little flyspeck, having lived there for 6 months, and what is the editor talking about? A crazy gameshow where people did all sorts of silly things in order to win a handful of cash.

I give up. I suppose we'll always be known as the goofball weirdos across the known universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Christiaens
Belgium
Oetingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
*Sigh*. What is it with foreigners and the Netherlands...? Here's a wonderful opportunity to paint a decent and rosy picture of this little flyspeck, having lived there for 6 months, and what is the editor talking about? A crazy gameshow where people did all sorts of silly things in order to win a handful of cash.

I give up. I suppose we'll always be known as the goofball weirdos across the known universe.

Don't panic. Whenever the subject comes up, just talk about Japanese game shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Don't lose heart, the dutch also have really good mayonaise and cheese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
cymric wrote:

Sorry, Maarten, the column was intended to give readers an idea of who was taking over the site and what kind of my professional experience I have; Over de Roooie jumpstarted my writing career, so that show had to be included.

Perhaps in a future column I can talk about the beautiful countryside, the joy of biking through the farmlands north of Utrecht, the hospitality of those running The Joker (a game store on the Oude Gracht in Utrecht), and how damn good poffertjes taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
and how damn good poffertjes taste.

Oh do they what! Thank goodness for Dutch migration to Australia is all I can say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
ohhhhhhhhhhh the Joker......

Five days in Holland after 6 months in the Sahara with no boardgames and then you come across the Joker.

You spent something like 2,5 hours there talking and you end up with 6 games and 200 and something euros less.......

Yeah, for anybody that can do it, visit the Joker but don't spent the full day there. Utrecht is a very nice city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.