Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Thomas
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glass gems would be GREAT. I have been looking for glass gems for Diamant (especially since the newest edition has cut down on the plastic gems they provide, we often run out), and this would be another one where the quality of the gem pieces really help out with the feel of the game.

But where to get a couple of handfuls of cut-glass gemstones without having to pay a fortune? Chandalier crystals can be found in abundance, but have holes in them, so they're not really ideal.

If anyone knows where to find such a thing, please post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for flattened glass beads for Runebound and gems for Diamant... and I found them here very cheaply:

http://www.wholesalersusainc.com/

Look under Glass Gems & Marbles for flattened glass beads.

Look under Acrylic Nuggets for things that actually look like gemstones. I used these for Diamant. The small diamond ones are about the same size as the gems in Diamant. They don't look *quite* as nice, but they will work.

More importantly, I use the green ones as Emeralds in Diamant to represent 10 rubies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've seen these smooth glass stones before, and although they work fine for some games, (like Fist of Dragonstones) wouldn't it be nice to have some that resemble CUT GEMS?

If you look through this site, you'll see what I'm looking for: http://www.chandelierparts.com/
especially under the "Strass Colored Parts" area.

The problem is, the holes. They offer the crystals cheap enough, but with the option for "one" or "two" holes. NO OPTION FOR "NO" HOLES!! I called, and Chandelierparts tells me they come from overseas supplier, with the holes already drilled in them.

So what now? Any ideas anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Block
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found glass gems at Michaels from time to time, they tend to be in the same section as the normal glass beads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that cut gems would look the best. The Acrylic Nuggets didn't do it for ya?

I too, will be watching this thread in case anyone reveals a source for the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The acrylic nuggets DO actually look pretty nice, and with the price of the game being as high as it is, I certainly wouldn't expect Master Thieves (or Diamant, for that matter) to come with glass jewels as standard pieces. I'd just like to try and find something heavier, so that when someone opens that drawer, and pulls out their loot to lay on their little jeweler's pillow, it has some weight and "clink" to it.

We started using spent bullet shells as counters in "Bang!" and found that it really adds to the fun. Everyone gets excited when they see these old brass shells as playing pieces. I guess I'm just trying to bring some of that fun to these two jewel-oriented games, if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard about these gem-like pieces on the Roll2d6 podcast:

http://threesagesgames.com/html/july3sg_6.html

Much smaller than the WholesalersUSA Acrylic Nuggets mentioned above. The Roll2d6'ers said that these come in a large enough number of shapes that on casual inspection of a handful they all look different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice, and I will have to pick some up, buuut... still not glass or crystal cut gems

ARE THERE NO REASONABLY PRICED DIME-TO-NICKEL-SIZED GLASS OR CRYSTAL CUT GEMS TO BE HAD ANYWHERES?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Burton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I have used the Swarovski rhinestones before. You can look at them at:

http://www.dreamtimecreations.com/product/catalog.cfm/nid/6

They are reasonably priced ($6/gross). Some of them come with foil on the backs that can be easily removed. There is a large choice of sizes and colors. They are glass and feel great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look pretty good, but they seem quite small. Most of them are under 5mm (in diameter I assume). And those that are larger than 1cm quickly jump in price to around $70+/gross.

What size did you order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Burton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Quite Right!

I actually did not purchase from the company whose link I posted, it was for illustration purposes only. I won an ebay auction. My stones were approximately 1/3" ~ 30 stone size. I did find a company who charged between $16 and $21 per gross for that size. I have not done business with them, however here is a link.

http://www.espallstarrhinestones.com/PointedBacks.html

They offer fair pricing for the czech rhinestones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey if anyone wants to go in on an order. I could use some for master thieves and Niagara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Lalich
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a chance with www.jansjewels.com and it turned out great. Jan responded to my email personally and even told me that if you can't find what you're looking for in the transparent stones section, you can soak the foil off of the back of the foil back stones with a cup of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Works fine. I'll try and remember to post a pic the next time we play. The ladies are going to ooo and aah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Payne
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
check this out:
http://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/c5/Beautiful-Lot-Of-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.