Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this way back in the day when first released and remember loving the miniature and map but also getting totally confused with the rules at the time. I don't think I ever actually got around to playing it properly. So I was delighted to see this redone and available to PnP. Bit late I can see, but still thought I'd post my sessions if only to show there's still some people discovering and playing this redone version.

Having printed out and made up the excellently redesigned PnP version (many thanks to all involved in that by the way, it is very well done) a few days ago I got chance to play a few games over the weekend. It certainly does live up to its reputation - I'm not sure whether I could call it fun or not, but it is pretty addictive to play repeatedly, purely to see how long one can survive. After only a few plays it has proven an assuredly masochistic attempt at entertainment and my initial thoughts of it being a good kickstarter reboot project have been dulled somewhat.

Game One. Lasted LESS than ONE DAY, failed to leave starting hex.

the prince didn't survive long enough to begin starving. Rolled out of the cart into hex 1901, got lost moving to 1801 and was surprised by 6 giant spiders that promptly ate him.

Game Two. Lasted ALMOST ONE DAY. Failed to leave starting hex.

Rolled into Ogon (0101) and sought an audience with the mayor. After being refused was discovered by 5 Royal Mercenary Guards (RMG's) and promptly slain after failing to evade them.

Game Three. Lasted SEVEN DAYS. Failed to leave starting hex.

Day One: Rolled into the mountains of 1901 and got lost moving SW to 1801 but discovered some ruins whilst searching for a route. Too late in day to explore so set about making a camp but was ambushed by a single RMG. Cal actually beat him and gained a little gold! Amazing. No food though so began starving next morning.

Day Two: Hunger sets in but decide to explore the ruins but failed as needed more people to do so efficiently (organised search). No more encounters and went to sleep hungry.

Day Three: Attempt to get to 1801 again but, again, LOST! Really hungry now.

Day Four: Attempt to travel to 1801 again, LOST! This time Cal spies a Goblin Keep but is spotted by a patrol of the evil blighters and is chased down whilst running away. He is captured and sentenced to death!

Whilst in his cell in Gobo town Cal is surprised to find the RMG's have not forgotten about him and have infiltrated the keep in order to assassinate him! As the four merc's enter his cell Cal escapes them and flees (presumabley) via the same way the RMG's got in and runs north (to the top edge of hex 1901). Very hungry now as he falls asleep, amazed at his (relative) good fortune.

Day Five: Gets lost trying to get out of 1901 to 1801 (he's really trying to reach the countryside he can see a few miles west). Starving, he can barely carry his own weight and his combat skill has reduced to 4.

Day Six: Gets lost trying to get out of 1901 to 1801. CS = 3.

Day Seven: Gets lost trying to get out of 1901 to 1801. CS = 2. As he cries himself to sleep a single RMG ambushes Cal and guts him like the unlucky cur he has proven to be.

Before I started making notes on progress I played a game where Cal nearly reached the town of Cumry but was hacked down by a band of thugs at the river crossing (especially poignant as he'd escaped a mad wizard bent on trying to mind control him a few days earlier) and another where he died of despair, penniless and in the rain outside the gates of the temple of Zhor. He wasn't even offered shelter in the stables and simply gave up on life after spending almost two weeks to reach the place using his only gold to make an offering that ended up him being the target of abject scorn by the local priests.

I've thought of an alternate way of playing the game where you bang your head against a wall in return for rolling a D6. You subtract three from the result, add one for each lump on your forehead, look up the corresponding page number in your telephone book, call the number and beg the person on the other end to choose a number between 201 and 310 and if its 287 - you successfully raise 500 gold and retake your usurped homeland in a mighty victorious battle to the sound of silver trumpets.

That said, I'll probably play it again tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant...brings back great memories..even though I no longer have a copy.I always thought the game under rated and would love it if it were bought up to date and republished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moxyoron wrote:
Brilliant...brings back great memories..even though I no longer have a copy.I always thought the game under rated and would love it if it were bought up to date and republished.

Barbarian Prince was/is always a lot of fun! A year ago there was a new game kickstarted that is very much like a new and expanded Barbarian Prince. It is called Journey to the Overland. It should be in backers hands in the next few months! Here is a link to the BGG page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154838/journey-overland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies (and the upvotes, yay). Apologies for the typo's (rush typing whilst at work).

When I was reading the other session reports whilst printing out the PnP files I laughed out loud plenty of times at the almost comical fates that Cal Arath has endured over the years. I actually thought a few had to be taken with a pinch of salt, but alas, they are all accurate.

If there was ever a GROO boardgame, this sure could give some tips on how to portray an absolutely hapless ****tard of a 'Mighty Cliche Fantasy Hero' in a boardgame. Groo would probably have more success actually. After a few plays I cannot but look upon the game as being somewhat comedic.

Getting lost really should be something that happens occasionally rather than the norm. I'd say getting lost would happen on a 2,3,4 or less (4 max) to make a more fruitful play session. A houserule could change it sure, but I feel it would be cheating and I guess a win would be pretty extra-ordinary achievement.

I was looking at designing my own boardgame that was going to be sandbox rpg thing (to fill the void of a modern Magic Realm with a more streamlined system) and spotted that Journey to the Overland is pretty much doing the same thing. Certainly looks interesting but had just plonked down an ungodly amount of coinage on the Conan KS so no backing for awhile.

I should have known the omens were strange about this game when I instructed the printers whom I sent the map file to that I wanted 1x A2 print, mounted up nice and matt laminated but they screwed up and made 2x A1 boards! They are massive. I got them both for half the price I was quoted for the smaller one. Result!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
If there was ever a GROO boardgame, this sure could give some tips on how to portray an absolutely hapless ****tard of a 'Mighty Cliche Fantasy Hero' in a boardgame. Groo would probably have more success actually. After a few plays I cannot but look upon the game as being somewhat comedic.

There was a light card game Groo! Groo: The Game I played it back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take my PnP copy with me on business road trips. Makes for a great game to play while sitting in a hotel room. I also had the micro game version years ago, and between then and now, I doubt I've ever won.

Cal, it seems, should have been doing a LOT more than he was to prepare to be a barbarian king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Olson
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
What's got Billy so spooked?
badge
Beware the Jabberwock my son!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
I take my PnP copy with me on business road trips. Makes for a great game to play while sitting in a hotel room. I also had the micro game version years ago, and between then and now, I doubt I've ever won.

Cal, it seems, should have been doing a LOT more than he was to prepare to be a barbarian king.

I do the same with my PnP. Iziak - Stick with it. The one time where the stars align and you manage to capture a pegasus, marry the princess, and recruit a band of elven followers will make it all worth it. Next time they're due to align for me is in 2037.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Maskell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just found this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00VNY7TNI/ref=sr_...

Bit pricey. Loved playing this way back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dino_morphic wrote:
Just found this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00VNY7TNI/ref=sr_...

Bit pricey. Loved playing this way back...

Yeah, that's too pricey (but not so bad considering the age and rarity) for me but thanks for the heads up

Good to know this little game still gets plenty of love after all this time.

Anyone know what' happened with the author? Did he make anymore games? Was the world of BP ever expanded on?

Not got time to search myself at the moment but if anyone's already done so, would be keen to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Anyone know what' happened with the author? Did he make anymore games? Was the world of BP ever expanded on?

Clicking on his BGG entry and sorting his games by year, it seems his last published game was in 1983.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/693/arnold-hendr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Did he make anymore games?

Yes, videogames
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,97...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And http://mmotidbits.com/about/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks for all the links. I've visited them and read up on Arnold, what an interesting and talented bloke. Cheers for the time taken to answer my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.