Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played Bang! with a bunch of non-gamer girls. It was my first time playing the game too, and after about 15 minutes I wanted to kill myself.

"What is this game?"

[Explains premise]

Maybe we shouldn't play it, I don't think you guys will have the patience.

"What? Hahahahah. Let's play it."
"Don't have the patience, please...."

Okay, we will give it a shot. Here's your characters and your roles.

[Explains character abilities and roles]

"I don't like my guy."
"It looks too hard."
"It's not even in English."
"Where did you even get this game?"

[Explains general rules about Bang! and Missed! and such]

Okay, let's play with open hands so we can figure this out as we go. On your turn, just put any Blue cards down and I'll explain what they do.

"What does this card do?."
"Didn't you read the rules?"
"Can we just play???"
"Why do bullets equal life, anyway?"
"I can't do that? I thought you knew the rules."
"You didn't tell us that. He's making up new rules as we go."

I said this would be a learning game, I've never played the game before. I'll explain rules as they come up.

"What does a stupid Deputy do? So I don't do anthing? I can't protect the Sheriff from getting shot? This is dumb."
"What do these poker symbols mean? I don't think you know the rules."
"I think you can play regular cards with these."
"Whoops! I moved my card, how many bullets did I have again?"
"We should have played Scattergories."
[sing-songy] "He wants to play Baaaaaaaang."
"What does this card do again?"

[Play continues slowly and painfully]

"What does General Store do?"
"Oh, that's dumb, why would I want to help anyone else?"
"She can't take that card because she don't have enough bullets."

I think it's okay because you only have to discard at the end of your turn.

"You think? You don't know the rules?"
"He doesn't even know the rules."

I told you, this is my FIRST TIME PLAYING. WE ARE LEARNING THE GAME!

"What the heck, I'll play General Store."
"Hey, that was pretty cool."
"Okay, I'm banging you."
"Well, you missed."
"I'll bang you again."

You can't.

"But I want to."

[As the game progresses, I watch as cards get curled up in hands and bent as they are sloppily placed onto the table. Non-gamers don't seem to have the need to treat a game well]

"What does this card do again? Well, that's dumb."
"Hey everyone, I'm playing General Store again."
"SHOPPING!!!"

[By this time, the discard deck has so many curled cards in it you could use it as a spring]

"Are you the Renegade? He must be the Renegade! Otherwise, why would he keep banging me?"
"I don't know what to do, so I'll bang you, I guess."
"We all have our own hobbies. You bang her, She bangs me, I bang you."
"Hahahhahahaha"

Sigh... I think you get the point. Ultimate Pain.

However, I must say that after about an hour we were all having fun and the game was running pretty smoothly. But that hour.... sheesh.

There was, of course, one Huge Redeeming Factor... being able to look directly at a cute girl while saying, "I would really like to Bang! you." So that made it all worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he he love the shopping comment.. thats was a well written fun read very like my 1st session i played with guys n girls so it was stop banging my girlfriend, are all yoru entrys this fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For light filler, this game is remarkably hard to pick up. I played it with five other gamers and we had nothing but trouble. I can't imagine trying to play the first time with non-gamers. The symbols on the cards are cryptic and vague. We were looking at the rules constantly. It was plodding, confusing, and generally went over like a lead balloon. I haven't managed to get it back to the table since. Hope you have better luck next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shopping thing was actually pretty funny. Whenever that card was played, everyone yelled "Shopping!!!".

I should also mention that I simplified the game by removing these cards:

Indians!
Duel
Dynamite
Volcanic

I came away from our session feeling really solid about the game. I would have no problem playing it again. With veteran players, I'm sure the game would be immensely fun. It has been targeted for play at my next gaming group.

And I agree about the symbology. Even though I understand the need to make the game language independent... if ONLY the symbols could be replaced by short English words or phrases!! The game would be SO much easier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a couple of similar (but not nearly as funny) situations teaching Bang! I finally hit on the correct way to teach this game. Someone already mentioned it (above) but I'll add my $.02.

When I start out, I explain the roles, etc. The deck will contain only bang/missed cards and whatever cards I think I can get away with in the initial rounds. (only a couple of weapons! - no volcanic, no mustangs, etc) The players will quickly get the hang of it, because there isn't much to confuse the issue. The players will focus on who is the outlaw/renegade. As the game progresses, I bring out a couple more cards - show them and explain them and shuffle them into the deck. By the end of the first game I usually have all of the beginning deck in full play. This seems to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not remove those cards, they are fun and easy to explain. I've taught the game to a few people (mostly poker and Magic players) and they were able to grasp it relatively quickly. I do suggest you hand out to character cards and let them pick one they like. You can even make sure the girls get ladies to choose from.

Now that I think about it though, girls do seem to have a hard time grasping this game. They don't seem to understand the objectives and either don't attack or shoot the wrong people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Emergency: Keep calm and call 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, because I had the exact same feeling about Bang! that they did. It's a turd. You do need patience to put up with a turd of a game. And it takes no patience to act like it's a game worth playing. These girls are very perceptive. I would just move right on to games worth the time. It seems like they are ready for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My First Time Banging with Girls

And before Girls you were banging what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
You do need patience to put up with a turd of a game.

I think it's about the best game of its type I have played . . by type I mean "quick, cards, filler". In my opinion, it certainly beats the cheese out of Graverobbers from Outerspace, Fluxx, En Garde, Lunch Money, and 2 or 3 others I can't even remember to mention.

There is of course the possibility you think ALL games of this type are turds . . . which begs the question "why are you reading reviews of them?"

Ah . . . the question was answered when I noticed the title of this review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very funny review. This is a game that seems like a ideal choice to introduce to nongamers because of the fun, "take-that) aspect and the lack of deep strategy. However, the fact that nearly all of the rules are exceptions of one type or another make this a daunting game to teach to those who just want to start playing the game without knowing what they're doing. Also, although playing a learning round while unfamiliar with the rules yourself might be fine with a bunch of gamers, it's probably not the best way to introduce nongamers to a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Skadar wrote:
There was, of course, one Huge Redeeming Factor... being able to look directly at a cute girl while saying, "I would really like to Bang! you." So that made it all worth it.

You're sure these girls were old enough for that to be ok?

I feel your pain, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
I would not remove those cards, they are fun and easy to explain. I've taught the game to a few people (mostly poker and Magic players) and they were able to grasp it relatively quickly.

Personal experience: Magic players can learn the game during the first play (with all rules and cards since the beginning), casual players cannot (well, of course they can, but the game will be extremely long and probably unpleasant).
With casual players I always used the "add a few cards each time" system after I tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so very glad it wasn't me. My wife, her brother (both gamers) our neighbours (we're getting them in to some very new games) and neighbours cute sister decided to use this game as a filler after realising we couldn't play arrrh Pirates Cover or TTR or some of our other easier games (NO ONE WANTED TO PLAY SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT. We should have played Shadows for sure) because of the restrictions of these being 5 player games, and had heard that Bang was just a fun easy game. Our session went pretty much as you described above, except I couldn't get them through the hour. Everyone got so annoyed with the game so quickly that my wife and I got narky with each other and I took the strop and we put it away. I doubt we will ever try this game again, which is a shame because I was just getting the hang of it when everyone else just bugged out.

Instead we started playing Apples to Apples. I was still taking the strop so I just played the first card in my hand EVERY time. Sweet. Petty, so very petty, but sweet as a nut. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I think the biggest hangup I've had with explaining to family members and other people is the concept of distance. That and the horses as modifiers (+1 vs. -1 distance is annoying to explain).

I find it easier to try and teach the basic symbols instead of each card. This is important especially if you're planning on using the expansion at some point. Also, I think this removes some explanation down the road, since the publishers were thoughtful enough to include enough reference cards for all the players.

I've also found that removing anything that has the book or "draw!" symbols from the deck on the first round helps to reduce most of the confusion. I think I then introduced them gradually over a few rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.