Subject: questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Destefanis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
publisher
I have been playing the game maybe once every 6 months during the past 3 years.
We just played a 6 players' game yesterday.

some situations were fun, but reading a bit the last 4-5 pages of Rules I have some doubts (also because we had some during the game).
I did download the FAQ too, but sometimes it didn't help:

1) Creuss Flagship
Not last game but the game before we used it like it could jump at any system (but alone) by creating a D wormhole where he was. I guess we got it wrong.
If I get it right, when he's moving and activates a system, this system gets a D wormwhole, so the whole point is to allow reinforcements from any other wormholes to come through right ? (iirc, all wormholes can be used as they were the same by the race)

2) Arborec special ability
There was an ability from the Arborec allowing them to conquer an empty planet at the beginning of the Strategy Phase.
Now, it was funny because my opponent used it to get control of Mecatol Rex (Conquered by me with Diplomacy II the turn before), and even to conquer one of my planets (with just a flag, even if I had ships in space) the turn after (he conquered a neighbored system the turn before and so I was screwed). Pesky plants.
Did we play this right ?
(surely for Mecatol Rex, albeit one could have doubts for a system where I had a FLEET in)
Also, in this case, does the Arborec player gets 1 VP for Public Obj for controlling Mecatol Rex for a full round ? (beginning of strategy phase qualifies for the start of the round right ?)

3) there is an action card (can't give the name, we're playing the Italian version) that states that you can kill a GF in a non home system, and if this empties the planet, it reverts to neutral.
If there is only 1 GF on the planet, does that kill also any PDS & Spacedock on it ? (due to reverting to neutral status)

4) If I get this right, ofc you can't produce a spacedock on a planet system you did just conquer.
But you can produce the next turn on it, if you activate the system again (or with Productivity etc).
If you build one then, you can build units immediately out of it right ?

5) Assembly card:
It states that you draw 1 Political Card and then make a choice.
If this is the first round of the game, no one else has any political cards (for example), the player can't choose to get the Speaker token then ?
In short, does the active player, if he wants to get the Speaker token, NEEDS to give the power to play a Political Card to someone who HAS a political card, or can he choose a player who doesn't have one ?

Thanks a bunch.

Still trying to make the political phase more interesting, and Trade phase too.
The political one, I trimmed the deck, as advised in other threads.
As for Trade, it seems not enough trade goods are moving around, so when the Trade card is used, there seems to be little incentive for the active player to allow other players to do trades, since they can't pay you trade goods etc. I guess they can still give you action cards, but the 1st round , if I'm not mistaken, you don't get one (since it's only at the end of the round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I think everyone fights with tweaking politics and trade. Personally I like TradeIII but the secondary is almost useless.

Im thinking of using trade11 but adding mercs to the primary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Correct. The Hil Colish cannot use its own wormhole, but it's presense allows ships to go back and forth the Creuss with ease. It can be very handy because you can amass a fleet back home, and when the time comes, have Hil Colish attack something and bring the whole fleet.

2) If you are referring to the Bioplasmosis racial technology, it sounds like you did it wrong. The text of the tech says "At the beginning of the Strategy Phase, you may move 1 Ground Force from a planet you control to a friendly or uncontrolled planet in an adjacent system. (Discard any Domain Counters on the planet)."

So if the planet is controlled by another player, it can't be used, even if the planet doesn't have a garrison. You CAN use it to capture Mectaol Rex, but only if nobody else has taken it first.

As for the "control Mecatol Rex for a full round" thing, I think a strict reading would say no. It says you must control it for the entire Strategy Phase, and while it was taken during the beginning of the Strategy Phase, there was a sliver of time, however slight, that it was not controlled during that Strategy Phase. However, I can see some making a house rule for this, if they feel that's overly technical

3) The card is "Local Unrest". The answer here is "yes". If the planet reverts to neutral, the PDS and Docs would go, too.

However, one thing to note - Mechanized Units are not affected by the card. So if someone played Local Unrest on your planet, and you had a GF and a MU (or even just an MU), the MU would continue to control it, per a ruling from FFG.

4) You cannot build a Space Dock on a planet that you conquered in the same turn, even if you activate the system again such as with a Unexpected Action or Warfare. You must wait until the next round.

You also cannot build units at a Space Dock in the same round you built the dock, even if you activate the system again later in the round, or use Production. You must wait until the next round.

(In the latter case, many people use a house rule to allow you to build at such docks, though).

5) If using Assembly, all players should start with a hand of Political Cards. But it's still possible one or more players could end up with no Political Cards in hand during the game. In this case, if that player is chosen to do a Political Card, since they have none in hand, they just draw a random one off the top of the Political Card deck.

I hope this helps

EDIT: Oh, as for Trades, while there's no direct in-game incentive to allow others to trade, I think in practice, it's still a good idea for the "goodwill" and bargaining factor. I've seen a player deny others the chance to trade just because they could, and they basically painted a target on their back for a bunch of nasty Action Cards and attacks in retalitation. So if you do deny others the ability to trade, do so realizing that other players may take revenge on you.

Of course, if a player is playing Hacan, they don't really care either way, since they can trade without approval regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll touch on a few of your questions. I'll try and return for the rest.
Lirkas wrote:

There was an ability from the Arborec allowing them to conquer an empty planet at the beginning of the Strategy Phase.
Now, it was funny because my opponent used it to get control of Mecatol Rex (Conquered by me with Diplomacy II the turn before),...

This is not allowed. page 14 SE rulebook. Diplomacy II has a note: Important: A player may not annex a planet that another plaeyr annexed this turn, and no player may annex Mecatol Rex.

Lirkas wrote:

Also, in this case, does the Arborec player gets 1 VP for Public Obj for controlling Mecatol Rex for a full round ? (beginning of strategy phase qualifies for the start of the round right ?)

Although there were problems with how this scenario came about, yes, as he meets the requirements for the Pub Obj.

Lirkas wrote:

3) there is an action card (can't give the name, we're playing the Italian version) that states that you can kill a GF in a non home system, and if this empties the planet, it reverts to neutral.
If there is only 1 GF on the planet, does that kill also any PDS & Spacedock on it ? (due to reverting to neutral status)

English name of the card is 'Local Unrest' Yes, PDS and Spacedock are lost, returned to the owners reserves.

Lirkas wrote:

4) If I get this right, ofc you can't produce a spacedock on a planet system you did just conquer.
But you can produce the next turn on it, if you activate the system again (or with Productivity etc).
The round the space dock is built, it cannot produce units. page 26 of original rulebook. Middle section, "Next round the Space Dock may begin producing units for its owner." so you will have to wait a round.

Lirkas wrote:
5) Assembly card:
If this is the first round of the game, no one else has any political cards (for example), the player can't choose to get the Speaker token then ?
In short, does the active player, if he wants to get the Speaker token, NEEDS to give the power to play a Political Card to someone who HAS a political card, or can he choose a player who doesn't have one ?

If you are playing using the strategy cards in SE, you need to use the setup changes on page 9 of SE rulebook:

Each player receives 2 Political Cards at the start of the game.

That would give you both options.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Destefanis
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks a bunch!

Pity for the Arborec, it was funny explaining what was happening
"Wtf... how can they grow up on my planet, did they teleport or what ?"
- Spores, man, spores!!! (with the guy making the sign he was smoking and having happy hallucinations)

Local Unrest is pretty tough. Wow.

For building at docks ... wow ... the game is already slow, but like this, it gets even slower.
In that case, the Arborec race, which can build from its GF, have a huge advantage right ? (they're not blocked by the spacedock rule, they just need a bunch of GF to build anything they wish everytime).
I guess the House Rules makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lirkas wrote:
Local Unrest is pretty tough. Wow.

Yes, it is. Never leave an important planet without a garrison, and if there is a Space Dock or PDS there, always leave either a Mechanized Unit or at least 2 Ground Forces so that this doesn't happen. Leaving the planet without protection like that, even if not on the front lines, is asking for trouble.

Quote:
For building at docks ... wow ... the game is already slow, but like this, it gets even slower.
In that case, the Arborec race, which can build from its GF, have a huge advantage right ? (they're not blocked by the spacedock rule, they just need a bunch of GF to build anything they wish everytime).
I guess the House Rules makes sense.

Arborec's GFs follow the same rules for building as Space Docks.

I've never used the house rule - I don't find it necessary. Yes, it can mean building stuff out on the frontier can take longer, but it makes it important to carefully build a dock EARLY so that you can have it for use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Creuss only treat A's and B's as being interchangeable. D's and C's are still unique. The Hil Colish must be within range of the target system and then you may also move other ships within range (probably through the home system wormholes). The Hil Colish must abide by normal movement rules.

2)I don't think so... In fact I'm pretty sure that's NOT the Arborec ability. The Plantpeople only get 1 GF on a planet THEY CONTROL every STATUS phase. Their racial tech Bioplasmosis says you may move a GF from a planet to an adjacent system's planet, again, if you control it. Although now that I look it appear to be wrong, must be an old wording/printing. It clearly says friendly OR uncontrolled so that's MY bad. In such a case there is nothing stopping him from doing what he did. Although I believe that the Mecatol Rex objective would not be granted. Because the wording is having controlled Mecatol "The entire strategy and action phase," the beginning implies that it was not that way from origination. I would also say that he would definitely NOT get the Mecatol planet card face-up and that should be a big clue as to whether or not he has officially held it for the whole round.

3) Local Unrest. If you ever lose control of a planet space docks and pds are automatically destoryed. Neither may grant control on their own and cannot contest GF that have landed. This is in the FAQ

4) You MAY NOT build from a newly produced spacedock in the same activation that built it. That part is obvious. As for Production, Imperial, and Imperial 2 strat cards... there is 1 sentence in the rules that says "Next Round you may produce at the space docks." It is not in the restrictions section, so it is easy to miss. Note that the official FFG FAQ also says that you may NEVER produce at a space docks made in the same round, even if you remove the activation counter. I would say this carries over quite clearly to the ruling regarding the SC!

5) The variant section in the SE rulebook clearly says that when playing with Assembly you deal 2 cards to every player at the beginning of the game. (It also says to play with an additional Stage 2 objective in the objective deck!). Note that there is also a controversial rule that allows you to play the Pol cards from your hand (max size 5) as trade goods... This may end up with everybody ending with 0 within the first round or 2. In that case, you may select someone without a card, they would just draw and play the top card off the deck. I advise maintaining a minimum of 1 political card so that there is some choice, the active player draws 1 and picks 1 of the 2, or at least draw to replace the one played. I REALLY think everybody should have a minimum of 1 card, and the trade goods thing really stinks in regards to preempting the political process entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lirkas wrote:
I have been playing the game maybe once every 6 months during the past 3 years.
We just played a 6 players' game yesterday.

I get to played it about once per 3 months
Lirkas wrote:

some situations were fun, but reading a bit the last 4-5 pages of Rules I have some doubts (also because we had some during the game).
I did download the FAQ too, but sometimes it didn't help:

1) Creuss Flagship
Not last game but the game before we used it like it could jump at any system (but alone) by creating a D wormhole where he was. I guess we got it wrong.
If I get it right, when he's moving and activates a system, this system gets a D wormwhole, so the whole point is to allow reinforcements from any other wormholes to come through right ? (iirc, all wormholes can be used as they were the same by the race)

yes it allow other ship from your homeworld to move to it/it's destination
and only your home world only
because race ability is

it can use a as b and b as a
not any worm hole as any worm hole

Lirkas wrote:

Now, it was funny because my opponent used it to get control of Mecatol Rex (Conquered by me with Diplomacy II the turn before), and even to conquer one of my planets (with just a flag, even if I had ships in space) the turn after (he conquered a neighbored system the turn before and so I was screwed). Pesky plants.
Did we play this right ?

no
1. beginning of status phase
2.it' your own planet not any planet.

Lirkas wrote:

yes
local unrest

Lirkas wrote:

next game round

Lirkas wrote:

if you manage to get one
you can produce units from it (EX : Production Strategy)

Lirkas wrote:

5) Assembly card:

if use assembly every player start with 2 politic card (max 4 cards in hand.)
and can use it as trade goods (which is silly rule IMO)
and you draw 2 not just 1
if you choose a guy with no politic cards
he randomly draw from the top politic deck and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.