Hide
7 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
msg tools
We just got this game and played it for the first time last night.

We got Haunt #2, I was the Traitor and it was a good frolic. I especially enjoyed, playing as the Professor with a deranged madman in tow, watching everyone else pootle about on their first post-haunt turn, wondering what subtle plan I was going to spring on them. This consisted of charging down the basement stairs with my madman and immediately drowning Madame Zostra in the Underground Lake. See? Fun!

I thought the build up to the Haunt was a bit slow though. This, despite us playing for ages with the indexed definition of a Haunt Roll (quite different to the six-dice rule in the Haunt Section!).

Slow because of this. There were 5 of us. Each of us was overwhelmingly likely to not be a/the traitor. We picked up a medical kit and then every time someone got hurt it suddenly made a whole lot of sense to do nothing for a while. Why keep rushing into rooms and setting off omen cards? Better surely to make sure our team was in tip-top health before risking the haunt?

This encouraged camping. Like D&D when you bed down in a dungeon so your cleric can get his healing spells back.

Since the players can travel through the existing map without triggering new cards they can basically pause the game. This sucked some of the tension out for me. It meant that an event that hurt someone was basically irrelevant. You could call time for a couple of turns in order to pray at the chapel, read in the library, use the med kit etc.

Perhaps this is only because we had the medical kit. But it feels like maybe there should be something in there to encourage the players to at least discover one room in each complete turn.

Unless there is and we missed it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Jones or Jonas - it is important!!!

So... traitor win? Anyone get some good loot during the setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidJonas wrote:

This encouraged camping. Like D&D when you bed down in a dungeon so your cleric can get his healing spells back.

Perhaps this is only because we had the medical kit. But it feels like maybe there should be something in there to encourage the players to at least discover one room in each complete turn.

Unless there is and we missed it !

Most of the encouragement comes from there being little else to do in the game.

You were playing that you can only get bonuses from chapel etc. once the entire game, weren't you?

Even if one of the explorers (or all the other explorers) decide they are going to 'waste' their turn slogging it over to where the chapel sprung up, whoever found the chapel should keep exploring.

Not knowing whether you are the traitor or not means you don't know who is going to be on your side or not. You shouldn't be worrying about the "team" being strong, but yourself - otherwise you'll end up building up the team, only to find you aren't actually on the team, and now you will surely lose.

Also I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "indexed Haunt roll". What's that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
msg tools
zayzayem wrote:
You were playing that you can only get bonuses from chapel etc. once the entire game, weren't you?

Yes, that's right. We got the Chapel and the Library. But we were pretty strung out so then there was some back and forth.

zayzayem wrote:
Even if one of the explorers (or all the other explorers) decide they are going to 'waste' their turn slogging it over to where the chapel sprung up, whoever found the chapel should keep exploring.

Not knowing whether you are the traitor or not means you don't know who is going to be on your side or not. You shouldn't be worrying about the "team" being strong, but yourself - otherwise you'll end up building up the team, only to find you aren't actually on the team, and now you will surely lose.

That's the thing.

With 5 players your chances of being the Traitor are small. So I would say that until the Haunt pops up really it is in your interest to make the group as strong as possible. 4 times out of 5 you will be in that group.

With a 3 player game much less so, of course.

zayzayem wrote:
Also I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "indexed Haunt roll". What's that?

Because the manual was taking so long to slog through we decided to skip the Haunt rules until it happened. So we checked the index (at the back) for the rules on the Haunt roll. In our manual it says to roll dice equal to the number of omens in play. This is contradicted in the Haunt rules in the same manual (which we realized when we read them!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
msg tools
sirpoonga wrote:
Ok, Jones or Jonas - it is important!!!

So... traitor win? Anyone get some good loot during the setup?

Ha. A real Jonas! Jones. Oddly my real name is usually taken during registration for websites. A cunning alias.

Everybody except me! Music box, skull, sacrificial dagger.. amusingly the latter was unwisely discarded by my first victim just prior to their untimely demise. I can't remember why but there was a reason.

It was a fun game. Seems like it would be ripe for an expansion, but evidently nothing doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidJonas wrote:
With 5 players your chances of being the Traitor are small. So I would say that until the Haunt pops up really it is in your interest to make the group as strong as possible. 4 times out of 5 you will be in that group.
That's one way to look at it. Another is: There's only one person guaranteed to be on my team: Me. For anyone else, there's a 40% chance they won't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
msg tools
Which means a 60% chance they will be?

I don't know. On that game the traitor was me and I didn't need healing at all. If the others hadn't regrouped they probably would have lost. I think it had a lot to do with the medi kit. Without it there just wouldn't have been the same incentive to take a time out.

Suspect we'll have another crack tonight so we will see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.