tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Hmm... that wasn't particularly inspiring. :-/

There are plenty of great games in that same category (basically just party games, they mentioned) that are readily available (even at "regular" stores) that would have been much more interesting to see them list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For everyone: Trivial Pursuit Totally 80s Edition

Are they kidding? Why would everyone love Trivial pursuit in the first place, and the 80s edition for that matter? I guess when they mean "everyone" they're only taking about people who grew up in the 80s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
yup i agree, there are a lot of better games out there... but what's positive about this is that more people will be playing games!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice that they suggest adults play games, I just wish they'd let me make the list of recommended games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see games being played at bars, etc.

Shame that a game like Settlers or Ticket to Ride was not on the list.

Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean did make the list. That is the first time I've heard of that game, actually sounds kind of interesting from the description.

These kinds of features indicate that a market exists for games, but it seems the challenge for the smaller US publishers is to get their product exposed to the masses. It's funny that even toysrus.com lists a "purchase limit" of 1 copy per customer for Settlers and Ticket to Ride. Talk about being under-exposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Serious Gamers: "MTG, 9th Ed" and "Parthenon"

Kinda odd choices for a mass media article. Not that I'm complaining since they are two of my favorites but I agree that Settlers and TTR should be mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
It's nice that they suggest adults play games, I just wish they'd let me make the list of recommended games.

I completely agree. I wish you could write the list.

Unfortunately, many people see a negative stereotype when it comes to Magic the Gathering gamers which includes younger people. I don't think the article makes adult game look nice but it is nice to have gaming acknowledged as adult. I do wish they at least included Settlers. It has mainstreamed so much that it encourages casual family gaming rather than giving a negative stereotype.

But what am I complaining about, I am viewed kind of different by just about everyone anyway Mention gaming and most people see in their heads grown adults around a Sorry board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
Quote:
For everyone: Trivial Pursuit Totally 80s Edition

Are they kidding? Why would everyone love Trivial pursuit in the first place, and the 80s edition for that matter? I guess when they mean "everyone" they're only taking about people who grew up in the 80s.

The people who grew up in the 80's are the people who now have disposable income for such games..... Some of us are just smart enough not to purchase the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you will about the video and its positive effects, our community just got tagged with

- Connect_Four

- Richard_Simmons

The renaissance is here! Witness it flowering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara Whitman
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the incredible boardgames out there they chose the worst! Sure I will play scrabble, but connect four? come on!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:
I completely agree. I wish you could write the list.

Thanks Robin. If they give me the nod to create next year's list, I'll let you know, and you can create half

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW.

Did no one notice the ludicrous % of DVD games and liscensed properties? This is just ANOTHER example of big media pushing their crap off on the rest of us. IF MSNBC was really interested in recomending ADULT games, they wouldn't spew out a garbage list of ADVERTISEMENTS! Unfortunately, people are meeple and will buy whatever they're told.

EDIT: Of course, Parthenon is their RINGER. (Magic's sold so much it's just part of the conspiracy!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Monnin
United States
Minster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
That is a list of BAD gmaes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So has anyone written them feedback? Let's list 3 games in each of their categories that we wouldn't scoff at, and then each of us e-mail the auther/editor with that and see if we can actually do something about it rather than bitch and moan.

Each of these are available at the local Game Daze...

For Everyone:
Apples to Apples
Scattergories
Taboo
Are You A Werewolf?
Bang!
Diamant

For Families:
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Mystery of the Abby

For Serious Gamers:
Goa
Puerto Rico
In the Shadow of the Emperor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Québec, Canada, there is a pro-consumer magazine called Protègez-vous (Protect yourselves) that has every year a section for the toys and games to get this year. That magazine is widly used as a reference of good toys.
Included in the listing for 2006 (mainly in the Teenager section):
Shadows over Camelot 6/6
Ticket To Ride 6/6
KASL 5/6

and a few others that I can't remember (I didn't pick the magazine). It is picking up here at least.

The Montreal's newspaper "La Presse" has articles on games by a few gamers. Their website is : http://jeux.communication.org/
Games they reviewed and published in "La Presse" are:
Ingenious
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket To Ride
Caylus
Settlers of Catan
and a few others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
pathagobi wrote:
Here's an article from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15753175/

Oh look! It's one of those seaonal "go to Toys R Us and make a list of games" articles.

Articles like this are a reason why gaming will never go mainstream. If I wanted to try out a board game and those were the suggestions, I'd say forget it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, that article sure does suck for actual gamers, though in fairness they were proposing games where the goal was to enhance a party, not where the goal of the partipants for the evening was to play games.

Prfessional writers ought to be able to grammer check to avoid tihs sort of thing though-
"The best social board games are the ones where players interactive with each other to create the experience."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:

Prfessional writers ought to be able to grammer check to avoid tihs sort of thing though-
"The best social board games are the ones where players interactive with each other to create the experience."

Dammit, I should have known my copy would be in Engrish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
FrankM wrote:
...they were proposing games where the goal was to enhance a party ... the goal of the partipants...
Heh. You said party-pants.

FrankM wrote:
I don't know what professionals ought to be able to do (like actually learn proper grammar and maybe some proofreading techniques), but almost everyone can benefit from Firefox's awesome built-in spellchecker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.